Backer & Rueb RTM Steamtram loco

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Final coat of primer. Preparing for paint takes ages...

View attachment 258871

Indeed!! I can't wait to see it in RTM green !!! ;-)
But please take your time; it is becoming a superb model! No rush!
Where did you have the paint mixed? Are you going to paint it (brush) or airbrush?

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Nice!!
Color looks good I right?
If the paint is still to shiny when dried you can always spray on a dull coat (for instance Humbroll) or clear (non-yellowing) satin varnish spray.
But actually I like how it looks on the last picture.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It looks more ?dark-grey? than 'green' on my monitor.. o_O:(

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It’s a terrible color to photograph! Made already dosens of pictures and not one does represent the color correctly.

Maybe you need to take the exposure using a grey card and then set your camera aperture and speed manually. That should get the colour balance right.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It’s a terrible color to photograph! Made already dosens of pictures and not one does represent the color correctly.
Probably work better outside in real daylight?

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
The RAL6021 is described as 'black-green"... Actually I found it very much blackgreen! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But dunnyrail is right; take a picture outside in daylight, it could help

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Waddayathink about the roof... It looks very coarse, in reality it is much less (must be the camera faking massive stones).

I read everywhere people do paint over this. But personally I do like the fine sand structure (it is filtered 'bird' sand, to be used in bird cages).
Options please!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like 'roofing felt', though perhaps a little coarse, in texture..

Personally, I like the look of it, but not sure for a railway vehicle roof? - Would certainly look better with some weathering, and dulling-down a bit. perhaps? :think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Waddayathink about the roof... It looks very coarse, in reality it is much less (must be the camera faking massive stones).

I read everywhere people do paint over this. But personally I do like the fine sand structure (it is filtered 'bird' sand, to be used in bird cages).
Options please!
I thought that you may have sprayed it with one of those Stone Effect Sprays. Unfortunately Pictures of Steam Tram Roofs are likely to be as rare as Hen’s Teeth thus we have to go in instinct. My instinct tells me that the Roof is likely to be Sheet Steel Painted Black and Smoke Weathered with age and use. Thus a ripply effect would be somewhat unlikely. I wonder if you can get somehow a look at some of the Steam Trams Preserved in your neck of the Woods and perhaps get a Picture or two to be certain? That probably will not help with what you have done, nice as it looks.