idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You can get plastic model rivet heads which are a pain to apply but very realistic. I forget the supplier name, maybe someone else will remember while I have a search.

EDIT found it,Cambrian Models (UK), £2 for 230
16mm Loco, Coach & Wagon Fittings

Or blobs of glue work well, see this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Cambrian models here in the UK - cheap as chips and easily solvent weld applied to plastikard / styrene sheet :nod::nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Cambrian models here in the UK - cheap as chips and easily solvent weld applied to plastikard / styrene sheet :nod::nod::nod::nod:
Here in the US there is Tichy and Grandt Line making plastic rivets. Alan at G.A.L. uses them. He laser cuts the parts including the holes for the rivets.

gal%20120t%2022.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Here in the US there is Tichy and Grandt Line making plastic rivets. Alan at G.A.L. uses them. He laser cuts the parts including the holes for the rivets.

gal%20120t%2022.jpg
Yes, I have also been frequently tempted by the 1:20.3 box car - I haven't yet succumbed :think::think::think::think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You can get plastic model rivet heads which are a pain to apply but very realistic. I forget the supplier name, maybe someone else will remember while I have a search.

EDIT found it,Cambrian Models (UK), £2 for 230
16mm Loco, Coach & Wagon Fittings

Or blobs of glue work well, see this.
That Glue method will really work in our scale. Would not want to do it for a Tender say, but fine for a modest area. Well worth a look at the vid if you have not yet.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
'White glue' tends to refer to PVA glue.. You would need a waterproof-type, and would only be able to do one face of the loco at a time. - It would need to be horizontal, so the glue does not run.

Others have used 'super glue' to similar effect.

The nails are a bit big.. You can get short pins, used in 'craft kits' to hold sequins on foam shapes:

craft pins for sequins | eBay

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The nails are a bit big..

Peco track pins are pretty good and cheap, but if you use a lot of them you end up with a very heavy model :nod::nod::nod::nod:

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Great work Henry! Looks like a very sharp and clean build. I love the detail you put in it. Looking forward to see the end result.

RTM Ouddorp is building a 1:1 scale replica of the exact same engine: loc 37 - Website RTM

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Yes, I know the '37'...

And here we have a tiny error... The TramFabriek (famous for their HO scale trams) made a few signs for my Backer & Rueb and I did order nr. 37. Not knowing then the 37 was NOT a Backer & Rueb, but a Werkspoor! With completely different shields! So now I ordered number 16, the first 'square' Backer & Rueb built for the RTM.

Oh and it looked SO GOOD already... No one would ever notice the error, but hey, I do know...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Yes, I know the '37'...

And here we have a tiny error... The TramFabriek (famous for their HO scale trams) made a few signs for my Backer & Rueb and I did order nr. 37. Not knowing then the 37 was NOT a Backer & Rueb, but a Werkspoor! With completely different shields! So now I ordered number 16, the first 'square' Backer & Rueb built for the RTM.

Oh and it looked SO GOOD already... No one would ever notice the error, but hey, I do know...
View attachment 249628
Very nice detail etchings even with the minor error. Well worthwhile for the effort you are putting into the Stoomtram.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
So sometimes one little pesky detail can ruin the fun of a project. In this case it was the first roof I made. I used too thin plasticard so all kinds of wobbles appeared. Bummer!!!
Well after a very inspiring visit to the RTM museum with my dad last weekend, I decided to get the roof redone. I peeled off the old sheet and glued a thicker one. It is now waiting for the glue to dry.

Furthermore I got a bag full of g scale parts from a friend, that included many valves. I couldnt help to add a few and two meters. As there is almost no documentation, I just went ahead and made something that looks realistic.

Another problem was solved by making SuC individual windows out of plexiglass. One is finished.

Oh the work. And countless hours! But it is so rewarding!!

24C9EDF4-6B4B-4F50-9AFB-731505ED626E.jpeg

F099AEC4-1B8E-4F84-A32D-FA2CE96F4CE4.jpeg

E0AACA71-CD54-4FAD-AA35-9DC9A0CDED4B.jpeg

9C559BAA-FB8E-49D8-BE42-7B3D62A6C671.jpeg

63DAFB1D-356F-4461-8116-99BA1C52E969.jpeg