Unusual Brown Stainz......

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, couldn't resist the thread title..... :rofl:

I've been meaning to post a couple of pics of this since buying it at Llanfair this year - got it from a second hand trader for a reasonable price towards the end of Saturday, including the Feldbahn crane car in the pics.
According to the seller, the loco and crane were part of an LGB starter set that also included a flat wagon with a car model on it (he thought it was an Audi), but he'd already sold that separately. The loco is a 2002 model according to its gold date sticker, so a relatively late model - plastic motion, silver-painted cab roof and smokebox, and a chocolate-brown moulded (unpainted) plastic cab with printed (not embossed) cab no.2. Mechanically it's a standard "budget" Stainz, no sound, without even a voltage stabiliser for the lights - about as basic as you can get.
The model number sticker under the loco shows "20211", which is the same as the basic green-cabbed starter set version.

Anyone ever seen the particular set or loco before? Is it from a special-edition starter set? I'm not remotely concerned about any "collectability" value, just liked the unusualness of it - you don't see many brown-cabbed versions other than the very early ones - but would love to know a little more about it.....

Brown Stainz1.jpeg

Brown Stainz2.jpeg

Over to the Stainz-spotters out there......

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
With that title you manage to ruining at least half a days hard punning:banghead:

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
This is the closest thing I could find in my LGB Kompendium:
2E62FA79-9721-403F-809C-E3CDB1CDCDD1.jpegF1E1DDBF-6402-4420-A0BE-01A2142E07D2.jpeg

[Edit] Searching for 72429 returns a lot of hits eg: LGB 72429 Crane/Auto Car Train Set – Trainz
20160617-125926-C1-Trainz-3893519-STILL-02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
That thread title reminds me that our 14 month old grandson is coming to stay tomorrow.....
Thomas is ready on the Taita Gorge.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
(Wish I spoke/read/understood German)
So it looks like a US starter set?? - Perhaps in brown, so the loco could suggest a logging loco?? :think:

When I saw the first photo, I wondered if 2002 was a 'change of ownership' period, when they made things up, from what was hanging about?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very well spotted, Dennis, that's the one! The missing car-carrying wagon fits what the seller mentioned to me, OK it's a BMW rather than an Audi.....
So, it's an "uncatalogued" US special edition set. :)
It's nice to have another unusual Stainz, and the crane car in brown (rather than the usual green) is an interesting bonus!

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
With that title you manage to ruining at least half a days hard punning:banghead:

I know....... ;)
That sort of opportunity doesn't come up very often!

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That thread title reminds me that our 14 month old grandson is coming to stay tomorrow.....

EWWWWWWW!!!!! :sick:

As the US comedian Jeff Foxworthy once said: "Changing a kid's diaper is a bit like unwrapping a Christmas present from your Grandma - you're not sure what you'll find inside, but you're pretty sure you ain't gonna like it....."
He followed that with "when it says 8-10 pounds on the Pampers box, they ain't kidding - that's all those things will HOLD! Sometimes you have to change them every WEEK......" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I know....... ;)
That sort of opportunity doesn't come up very often!

Jon.
I don't think I'd have put the title name and the prunes together :tmi::tmi::tmi::tmi:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I laugh every time I see this thread title.... (must..... restrain..... self...... )

The other title is the 6-way.... a 3-way here in the states involves 3 people, 2 of the same gender... so the mind races to strange conclusions...

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I laugh every time I see this thread title.... (must..... restrain..... self...... )

The other title is the 6-way.... a 3-way here in the states involves 3 people, 2 of the same gender... so the mind races to strange conclusions...

Greg
Yours does

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A number 2 should always be brown....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
I am reliably informed that pampas grass in the front garden is something of an indication where .....................................

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I am reliably informed that pampas grass in the front garden is something of an indication where .....................................

I've heard that used to be the case back in the 70s-80s..... a bit unfortunate for anyone who moved into a house where Pampas Grass was already growing..... ;)

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've heard that used to be the case back in the 70s-80s..... a bit unfortunate for anyone who moved into a house where Pampas Grass was already growing..... ;)

Jon.
dunno, some people might think their luck had changed :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

The trouble is, it's a b***** to eradicate once it's established :devil::devil::devil:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
Doesn't Pampas Grass grow naturally somewhere? Just think a whole country of swingers:rofl: Nothing would ever get done there