Trams without wires

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
Trials are taking place in Birmingham with battery trams to avoid unsightly overheads. I now have prototype for my operations in the garden!
Regards to all, Derek.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trams have been running about in Europe for some time with areas sans Overhead, generally through area’s of concern with the visible intrusion of the overhead. However even long into the past there were examples of Tram Systems in the UK with no overhead using Battery Power. They had replacements swoped out during the day to keep the service working. All very Labour Intensive at the time but possible, one could take the Pan off the top of an LGB 4w Tram put some representations of Battery Boxes below and away you go.

The tech today is somewhat different with the cars charging the Batteries on the go and using up the battery when required. That section in the middle of Birmingham being an example, when it opens I believe that the extension to Wolverhampton Station will also be Battery Powered. Makes the line build cheaper now that the Trams are thus fitted.

However I still wonder a little about the technology, the other day some dog walking friends of mine pushed a guy on his Mobility Scooter home from the Park after his Battery went flat............

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Battery operated trams in Seville, Spain, 18.9.2018. The batteries are recharged via a pantograph and a short section of fixed overhead catenary at the tram stops.

dig 180918009.JPG

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure there were tram systems in the past that had pickups in the road via studs, rather like a third rail system.

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
I believe that a Manx Electric Railway tram traversed the Islands Steam railway towing a generator car as part of the year of the railways celebrations. I am unable to locate photographs.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Conduit, two rail pickup, clockwork, petrol, steam, horse drawn, compressed air, etc!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Trams have been running about in Europe for some time with areas sans Overhead, generally through area’s of concern with the visible intrusion of the overhead. However even long into the past there were examples of Tram Systems in the UK with no overhead using Battery Power. They had replacements swoped out during the day to keep the service working. All very Labour Intensive at the time but possible, one could take the Pan off the top of an LGB 4w Tram put some representations of Battery Boxes below and away you go.

The tech today is somewhat different with the cars charging the Batteries on the go and using up the battery when required. That section in the middle of Birmingham being an example, when it opens I believe that the extension to Wolverhampton Station will also be Battery Powered. Makes the line build cheaper now that the Trams are thus fitted.

However I still wonder a little about the technology, the other day some dog walking friends of mine pushed a guy on his Mobility Scooter home from the Park after his Battery went flat............
Yep, I was going to say that London had an extensive electric conduit system as part of the tram network, complete with staff to operate the mechanism that moved the ploughs to enable changing tracks.

London Trams: Current collectors (ploughs).

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I was going to say that London had an extensive electric conduit system as part of the tram network, complete with staff to operate the mechanism that moved the ploughs to enable changing tracks.

London Trams: Current collectors (ploughs).
Great find Rhinochugger Rhinochugger I never knew there were such things. On that same site there is a link to the Kingsway Subway which shows double decker trams diving down what looks like a 1:20 grade to underground tram stops at Holborn and Aldwych. Fascinating.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The tunnel is still there, you can see the entrances as you go down Kingsley. Some the tunnel is now used asome a car underpass

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's closed to traffic again I think - I can remember driving through it in my youth ;) ;)

The last time I walked down Kingsway was some days after the subterranean cable fire - Kingsway was closed, but there were miles of cable pulled out (the dead stuff) and still some generators outside the theatres - it was a surreal sight.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The tunnel is still there, you can see the entrances as you go down Kingsley. Some the tunnel is now used asome a car underpass
You can still see the Conduit Rail and Tram Tracks at the North End where the Trams used to emerge just to the North of Holborn by the A40 where it crosses the A4200. Not really visible in google Earth except by the gap in the Road.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Batteries in handicap scooters and wheel chairs do require a regimented recharging routine. They also need replacement, sooner or later. Too many people only put their batteries on charge, when they think they need charging, and often get caught with not enough charge to get home. The best routine, is to put them on charge, after every use, and leave them on charge. Most chargers these day, will NOT overcharge, so no damage will be done, leaving them on charge.
TRAIN CONTENT:
The same goes for our battery operated locomotives. ALWAY put them on charge, as soon after use, as you can. Don't wait until the night before you plan to use them again. (You will probably forget...)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You can still see the Conduit Rail and Tram Tracks at the North End where the Trams used to emerge just to the North of Holborn by the A40 where it crosses the A4200. Not really visible in google Earth except by the gap in the Road.
That's not the same tunnel - the Kingsway tunnel emerges at the southern end of Kingsway, well away from Holborn

Ah, EDIT - two sections of the same tunnel.

The section that we used to drive through was the section from Waterloo bridge, under Aldwych - I see that's labelled as the Strand underpass, but both were often referred to as Kingsway tunnel.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Birmingham had Battery powered trams in the 1890. A clip from the B'ham museum web site below....

In 1876, the power of steam came in, however steam trams were very noisy. In the 1890’s came battery operated trams, but many passengers had to be revived due to the batteries giving out a tremendous whiff!

Obviously not initially a total success at the time but they got it working eventually. Birmingham along with many towns in UK ripped up most of their tram track in the 1950's There is still some original track near the council house in the city centre as a monument to the council's short sightedness.

As an aside, the Statfold Barn Railway and Tramway has a traditional tram restored beautifully, which runs on modern batteries as there is no catenary there, which seemed to be running all day. I was last there for the 'giant little steam gala', with the 16mm modular layout. The modular layout does have some 45mm gauge track, just to bring the thread back to G gauge model trains.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Birmingham had Battery powered trams in the 1890. A clip from the B'ham museum web site below....

In 1876, the power of steam came in, however steam trams were very noisy. In the 1890’s came battery operated trams, but many passengers had to be revived due to the batteries giving out a tremendous whiff!

Obviously not initially a total success at the time but they got it working eventually. Birmingham along with many towns in UK ripped up most of their tram track in the 1950's There is still some original track near the council house in the city centre as a monument to the council's short sightedness.
Most tram systems sadly had quite a short lifespan - Birmingham's system may have lasted longer than many :clap::clap:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's not the same tunnel - the Kingsway tunnel emerges at the southern end of Kingsway, well away from Holborn

Ah, EDIT - two sections of the same tunnel.

The section that we used to drive through was the section from Waterloo bridge, under Aldwych - I see that's labelled as the Strand underpass, but both were often referred to as Kingsway tunnel.
Erm it went from Embankment to where I mentioned in Tram days, the Road created a new entrance and exit when it used part of the Tram Subway.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Erm it went from Embankment to where I mentioned in Tram days, the Road created a new entrance and exit when it used part of the Tram Subway.

Yes, I've seen photos of the Embankment stretch - sharrafter do a bit more digging, as I've never been able to work out how the various sections joined together.

The Waterloo bridge end to the approach of the Strand underpass was quite possibly new, but the Kingsway / Aldwych end was original :think::think::think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, done me homework

Some interesting facts - the only cut and cover tram tunnel in Britain - all one tunnel, but looks like two now - I hadn't realised that both ramps to the Strand underpass were new - Aldwych tram station was below ground.

Also, an interesting shot under Waterloo bridge :nod::nod:

Sorry if we're boring people, 'cos not a lot f this makes much sense if you don't know the area - I s'pose you could always take a stroll along the Strand ................. :smoke::smoke:

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
OK, done me homework

Some interesting facts - the only cut and cover tram tunnel in Britain - all one tunnel, but looks like two now - I hadn't realised that both ramps to the Strand underpass were new - Aldwych tram station was below ground.

Also, an interesting shot under Waterloo bridge :nod::nod:

Sorry if we're boring people, 'cos not a lot f this makes much sense if you don't know the area - I s'pose you could always take a stroll along the Strand ................. :smoke::smoke:
And 'ave a banana!