whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Summary
d098b6abae724c7f9905a7495159be8d.jpg

This is a short review of Massoth's latest power buffer (cat no. 8151601), introduced in 2012. It's a device I've found to be an excellent way of overcoming "dead track", especially for short wheelbase locomotives. The review includes a step-by-step guide to installation, details of the wiring connections needed (easy!) and CV settings required. Don't let the reference to CVs put you off if you're still using 19th century analogue technology. You can also use the power buffer on analogue lines, but a decoder is still required. Massoth are also gradually introducing new versions of their decoders which support use on either DCC or analogue lines seamlessly.

For proof of operation, see my YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRWcr34MzRs

The Problem
Any model railway in any scale will periodically have problems with locos failing to pick up current. In G scale, the problems are made worse by running outdoors and the common use of "dead frog" points. Track is also affected by natural ground movements and deterioration of connectors. In short, maintaining good electrical contact between rail and wheels requires effort. The smaller the loco, the more likely problems are to happen, but given the size (and price!) of G scale stock, small locos tend to be popular.

How then to solve the problem? Extending the wheel/rail contact area by using LGB's accessory socket is an easy way. The same goes for connecting two small locos permanently together. Neither answer is ideal: the first means effectively using a "trail car", so the loco can't be used for light engine movements, nor run round a train without some "hand of God" shunting; the second means shelling out on a second loco (one loco for the price of two!).

A more radical solution is to go for battery power and that certainly is a viable option with today's technology. However, good quality battery conversions aren't cheap and you need to be able to fit enough battery "oomph" into your loco to make it useful. Trouble is that the smaller the loco, the less space there is for batteries, receivers and the necessary switches and charging sockets. I've seen some very creative solutions to "packing it all in", but generally not work for the fainthearted or those - like me - whose hamfistedness with a soldering iron is the stuff of legend. The only practical alternative for many smaller locos, including LGB's iconic Stainz, is to use a "trail car" and we're back with the limitations that brings.

The Solution
A far more elegant means of coping with lack of rail/wheel contact is to fit a power buffer. Effectively a standby battery carried on the loco which can instantly supply power if the track supply is lost for any reason. When the loco has good electrical contact with the rails, the power buffer receives and stores charge: the longer contact is maintained and the higher the track voltage, the quicker and higher charge is stored, up to the maximum capacity of the device. Power buffers are particularly suited to DCC layouts since power is constantly supplied at a relatively high voltage (nominally 18 volts). Electrically, the buffer is one or more capacitors with a controlling circuit which checks that the unit is not overcharged and ensures a smooth outflow of current when required. Examples have been around for many years - both home grown for those with enough electrical engineering knowledge not to destroy either components or loco and commercially produced.

Massoth's latest power buffer is the third in their range of offerings. The trio's characteristics are as follows (prices quoted are from Garden Rail Outlet, UK as at Sept 2012):
8151001 - power buffer: 1 amp continuous output for max 2 seconds (3 amp peak); £22
8151601 - Powercap micro: 1 amp continuous output for max 30 seconds (3 amp peak); £44
8151501 - Goldcap power buffer: 3 amps continuous output for max 60 seconds; £67

The new device, highlighted in bold fills a big hole in Massoth's range. Simply, the smallest buffer is too small to be of much help, while the largest is both expensive and intended for locos drawing a lot of power: typically two-motor locos, but they are less likely to suffer from poor pickup in the first place.

Expensive or cheap?
Reading the last section, you may have instantly thought that £44 is too high a price. Yet do the maths and it may well be cheaper than the alternatives. Consider too the following: fit a Powercap micro and you may well be able to make use of smaller locos than you thought possible. Smaller locos are generally cheaper and readily available too, especially the ubiquitous Stainz and LGB's Schoema shunter. What you spend on a buffer, you may well more than save on the purchase costs of locos. On top of that, you now have a true locomotive: no trail cars, no battery charging, no hassle.

Fitting the Powercap Micro
Fitting the Powercap micro is pretty simple, but please note that these notes are not a substitute for reading the manual and also the manual for your choice of DCC decoder. Once out of its plastic bag, you should have something looking like this:
16630aecc15f45fc8baf0d620236cbb1.jpg

The buffer modules are roughly 25x25x12mm, separated by 150mm of wiring to enable each module to be placed in small spaces all over your loco if really necessary. In my experience, there is plenty of room for all three modules taped together even in the smallest LGB locos (though I haven't tried a Feldbahn one yet!). See, for example, the buffer elements in my "Kleine Dicke", neatly tucked in behind the boiler backplate, leaving lots of lovely room for additional lead weight!
1920fbbf2fb3470688e82a0e2b38af24.jpg

The switch is supplied solely to enable the discharge function to be switched off when changing CVs in older DCC decoders after the buffer is installed. By older decoders, I mean those which do not support "buffer control" in their CV settings. As may be expected, all Massoth's current decoders (and quite a few older ones from the mid-2000s onwards) support buffer control. Even if your decoder doesn't support buffer control, you probably don't need the switch wired in. After all, how many times do you alter your decoder CVs after installation?

There are five possible types of installation:
1) Attach to decoder with dedicated buffer control terminal (marked BC) - currently Massoth XLS & LS only
2) Attach to decoder with buffer control via output A5 - all other current Massoth decoders, plus many older ones except older XLSs - they use output A4
3) Attach to decoder without buffer control, or to avoid soldering to A5 output, or unable to set CV118/ CV116
4) Attach to decoder without dedicated terminals for buffer attachment (no +22 volt/ GND terminals) - experts only!
5) Installation for analogue control only (not for use with DCC)
Important - only methods 1 & 5 allows power buffer operation on analogue layouts. Methods 2-4 require analogue support to be turned off via CV29.

Method 1 installation:
1 - Connect black buffer wire to GND terminal (decoder 22v negative); red wire to decoder positive and white wire to BC. That's it. All done!

Method 2 installation:
1 - BEFORE connecting power buffer, set CV29 to either zero (14 speed steps, analogue operation blocked) or 2 (28 speed steps, analogue operation blocked) and set CV118 to 31 (CV116 to 31 on Massoth XLS decoders without BC connector)
2 - Connect black buffer wire to GND terminal (decoder 22v negative); red wire to decoder positive and white wire to A5. The last step requires soldering on the Massoth LS. All three wires require soldering on a Massoth M decoder.

Method 3 installation:
1 - BEFORE connecting power buffer, set CV29 to either zero (14 speed steps, analogue operation blocked) or 2 (28 speed steps, analogue operation blocked)
2 - Connect both black and white buffer wires to GND terminal (decoder 22v negative); red wire to decoder positive. On Massoth M decoder, soldering required!

Method 3 can be used with older decoders such as the LGB 55020/55021 by using the appropriate pins in the F1 row of three, as pictured below. Should it ever be necessary to reprogram the decoder's CVs , the black/white buffer connection can simply be disconnected to allow reprogramming.
f7f2cdc0b73e4ddeb3e025e626b0d3ed.jpg

Method 4 installation:
1 - Locate the decoder's 22 volt positive and negative locations (electrically after the AC rectifier) - I can provide locations for LGB onboard decoders, or see picture below.
2 - Convince yourself that you can solder the wires onto the designated places without destroying your decoder!
3 - BEFORE soldering power buffer wires, set CV29 to either zero (14 speed steps, analogue operation blocked) or 2 (28 speed steps, analogue operation blocked)
4 - Connect both black and white buffer wires to GND terminal (decoder 22v negative); red wire to decoder positive.

The picture below shows one of my LGB onboard decoders with buffer wires soldered on by another GSCer. I would not dare try soldering to such delicate components!
8a93da171cab40119d05170900893ac1.jpg

Method 5 installation (ONLY for use on analogue layouts):
1 - Connect both black and white buffer wires to GND terminal (decoder 22v negative); red wire to decoder positive. On Massoth M decoder and LGB onboard decoders, soldering required!
NOTE - if a loco is converted in this manner - without changing CV29 - it will be uncontrollable if used on a DCC layout!

In conclusion
Whichever method you used, you should now have a loco which will happily ignore bits of dirty or uneven track and laugh in the face of dead frog points. As in the picture below, one rail may be electrically dead over several feet, but the lights will stay on and the loco keeps on rolling. Happy buffering!
2a96dd599c9b4d308cd980aa5f4329f7.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent write-up Peter. I have just got my 'dark side' set up running (only on the mainline at present but with the option to switch to '19th century technology' for the much larger proportion of my fleet) so any insight into or accessories for overcoming track interruption problems is really really useful. (besides cleaning or fixing the track that is!

I have used capacitor 'buffers' like this before for the sound card systems that are in my DC locos and they are such a good way of overcoming interruptions in track power and no back-up battery charging needed. The only drawback for DC sound is that you do not get start up standing sounds with the caps unless you have a back-up battery..... but this has nothing to do with your thread

Now that I am on the DCC track these will be found, eventually, in some of my locos so that I can run DCC in winter and not worry too much about dirty track.
Fantastic!!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Great job, pics and write-up, Peter - many thanks! I've not tried wiring up a buffer before, but think I might give it a go now.... Muns, I see you're out of stock on the new micro-powercaps, better get a few in quickly because I think a good few folks here might start ordering them!! ;)

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Great job, pics and write-up, Peter - many thanks! I've not tried wiring up a buffer before, but think I might give it a go now.... Muns, I see you're out of stock on the new micro-powercaps, better get a few in quickly because I think a good few folks here might start ordering them!! ;)

Jon.
Dont panic....had 6 delivered yesterday.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Zerogee said:

Jon.

Dont panic....had 6 delivered yesterday.

Great - could you put a couple of them aside for me please Mark, I'll put a proper order in for them later in the weekend?

Anything else interesting back in stock with the new delivery?

Thanks!
Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Peter
Would the buffer be useable with non LGB or Massoth chips ie with QSI, ESU or Lenz. I only ask as I have a smattering of these.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Peter
Would the buffer be useable with non LGB or Massoth chips ie with QSI, ESU or Lenz. I only ask as I have a smattering of these.

Provided that they have terminals for decoder positive/ negative at 22 volts, yes, though you should check with Massoth if in any doubt. I'm sure that ESU's more recent decoders (V3.5/ V4)have what's needed. No idea about the others, though I'd be surprised if they didn't since it's a pretty standard feature. Be careful not to attach wiring to other circuits (lights etc) or to 5 volt circuits intended for relays. Getting the polarity right is vital too!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
The picture below shows one of my LGB onboard decoders with buffer wires soldered on by another GSCer. I would not dare try soldering to such delicate components!
images
The bigger the solder blob, the better the solder job!

As the person responsible for soldering Peter's Power Buffers to his Decoders, I should explain that I used a very fine tipped soldering iron and a very large lighted magnifier in the Electronic Workshop where I work.

I'm more than happy to help others and do the necessary if they pay for the postage costs to and from me. It's only a 10 minute job for me as I have all the tools and a steady hand or two....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Anything else interesting back in stock with the new delivery?

Thanks!
Jon.
:( nope. Had printed leaflets for the Uncoupler tho....the uncouplers themselfs will be dispatched to me on Oct 1st.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
The ESU Lokpilot XL 3.0 and the new ESU Loksound XL 4.0 have already Goldcaps built in, so there is no need for an external power buffer.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
bunnyrabbit03 said:
The ESU Lokpilot XL 3.0 and the new ESU Loksound XL 4.0 have already Goldcaps built in, so there is no need for an external power buffer.

Given that they must be a lot smaller than the Massoth separate unit, how much buffer time do the built-in ones give you, and are they there for the driving side of the decoder or just for the sound?
Might have to try an ESU decoder at some point, I know Steve (Bigjack) swears by them, but I've heard a few folks say they can be a bit complex to set up after installation?

Jon.

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
.... how much buffer time do the built-in ones give you ......
I've not get a LocSound 4.0 (yet!), so this is going on what that manual says.

The LocSound V4.0 manual says 2 seconds but it isn't very clear if this applies to the XL version that has the built in buffer, or just the other versions that can be fitted with a buffer.

Also there is a CV, No 113, that will turn off the decoder a certain time after in enters its power fail bridge mode. This CV is settable between 0.3 and 1 seconds which probably gives a idea that the maximum would be slightly more than this.

Zerogee said:
are they there for the driving side of the decoder or just for the sound?

I think driving and sound. The manual mentions an 'energy saving mode' wherby the volume is reduced during a power fail bridge.

Zerogee said:
I've heard a few folks say they can be a bit complex to set up after installation?
Yes, the decoder has a lot of facilities, most of which I imagine are not going to be used. They are very flexible. With the 3.5 version I set it up quite easily with the software that came with the LocProgrammer, I image just messing with the CVs would be more complicated. I only got the LocProgrammer because I wanted to play arround with the sounds on the decoder.
I like em.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I fitted a microcap to my Corpet today and I took its skates off.

Not much testing so far but it seems to work as advertised.

01f02bbb60584888bccda5cf959e8c28.jpg

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
dcc_decoder_w_bfc.gif

Above is a schematic (courtesy of Trainweb.org) showing a decoder block diagram and installation of a backup capacitor. The problem for most installations at present is that the necessary connection points are not exposed by the manufacturer, so soldering direct to the board may be necessary. Things get more complicated when sound boards are involved. The values of the capacitor and resistor can be varied and change the duration of backup and the re-charge time. I think this diagram is oversimplified as it shows only one input to the microprocessor, where in actuality there may be a separate signal input and a further regulator to reduce the power to the chip to 5V, The separate control signal originates before the diode bridge and therefore ensures that adding the backup power does not deteriorate the DCC control.
Where the manufacturer has exposed the terminals to allow connection of his proprietary backup capacitor then things should be a lot easier.

Hope this helps. You might find additional information from the various experimenters who are testing methods of injecting the DCC control signal which has been sent wirelessly through a Zigbee or similar network.

Richard

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
bunnyrabbit03 said:

Given that they must be a lot smaller than the Massoth separate unit, how much buffer time do the built-in ones give you, and are they there for the driving side of the decoder or just for the sound?
Might have to try an ESU decoder at some point, I know Steve (Bigjack) swears by them, but I've heard a few folks say they can be a bit complex to set up after installation?

Jon.

Jon.
Hi Jon both the kine dicke and the forney at John Scotts open day last week had loksound XL V4 in them I'd set the power buffers on both of them to 4secs using the lokprogrmmer they seem to work quite well. Setup wasn't bad using the lokprogrammer but the ver 4.4.3 software can be at bit of a problem especially as ESU have not updated the manual from 2. something yet. (quite a few people are having a gripe about it on ESU's forum)