GTSR - Didcot Loco Works - it's time for a permanent way

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Printed the first go at a Ground Position Light, think I'm going to reduce the visor length so that the are more visable from looking down. Other than that, happy with the shape and the dual colour LED's.

RSmEQzi.jpg

v1o2uYo.jpg

okHcta5.jpg

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
As a bit of a break from coding, I picked up a few kits off the usual auction site and have been working my way through them.

First off, a POLA water crane kit:

0TS77mP.jpg

I found a spares or repairs water crane, this has been rebuilt with some brass and stainless parts and is awating a re-paint:

W4Dh0jn.jpg

My other half has been painting the platform sections as they were boring beige:

9qq5Sm2.jpg

I also picked up a PIKO Sonneberg signal tower and parts, again spares and repairs and missing a few bits. The plan with this is to turn it into a water tower, I have started 3D printing some bits to make that happen. Printing parts this large at this detail is taking some time, one side panel took 36 hours.

A65Jw46.jpg

qLfszdU.jpg

cdGUbtg.jpg

0XCLd49.jpg

I have also managed to get some time on the bridge. I have installed the 3D printed mounts / locators which incorporate some sliding door contacts to power the bridge section.

CDolWr5.jpg

8Jvo1BB.jpg

This is how the bridge currently looks. I am waiting on the right size stainless screws to arrive so I can secure the track down.

3wUq9Fg.jpg

Last edited:

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Evening,

I realised I havent taken a pic of the roster yet, I will get around to that soon.

My good buddy got hold of a DCC mogul which he has sent to me for conversion, I thought it would be rude not to give it a run.

Pp1SIi8.jpeg

Manged to get some time out in the garden today, finished of the mechanicals of the bridge, got the track bolted down and aligned. I can now remove and replace the bridge and it lines up every time. Chuffed with that.

Didn't really take any pics, but here's a short vid:

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon all,
A few updates.

I have been working on the layout controllers, had a few minor PCB revisions to make - these are hopefully off to be made in a couple of weeks. Also been working on a block detector - this one is of MERG design with a few tweaks to handle a G Scale layout - mainly being able to deal with higher currents.

0ComH5M.png

Y4VTlC1.png

Some bits have been turning up for the control panels, also been 3D printing some DIN rail brackets for the controllers. Here is a mock up of a few DIN fixtures.

U3kLSB0.jpg

I also took the water tower outside to see how it looked. I have printed a protoype roof support, however I am still awating the materials to make the roof - it seems the postman has lost my GRS parcel! Waiting to hear back from GRS on whats happening.

XrmoKdJ.jpg

Had a go with a bit of paint too - have deiceded on a light grey. Waiting for the roof panel stuff to turn up before I can go any further.

bKzxVEz.jpg

iG6PQZ8.jpg

I have setup the makeshift spary booth and have been airbrushing away at various bits and bobs, the water crane is now fully re-built and painted.

O50FaGP.jpg

And I have had a go with weathering the £5 Loco - this is my first ever go with this and I have learnt a lot. Probably going to end up having another go.

4g4psH4.jpg

Zx9m1qO.jpg

Thanks for reading!
I imagine the next update is going to be heavily electronics related. I also need to get those threads started for the controllers :)

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while, longer than I had intended.

I have been working away on a fair amount of coding for the WiDCC boards, the I2CNet IO Controllers and for my DCC booster, the IBT-2 Turbo. Coding seems to suck up way more time than I had ever imagined! Oh well. I am pretty much there now on all of the code, the booster needs some proper functional testing and that needs the railway to be working. I have some electrical enclosures turning up soon, which means I can get on with wiring it all up.
I found some fun brad sign posts on the usual auction site, these were re-painted and deployed

ea7Z4dq.jpg

8KmzQlr.jpg

My other half finished painting the platform, so that was also sent to the garden.

HlrrC5r.jpg

sVYGtHF.jpg

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The 3D printed water tower is now finished and is doing well outside.

dmLbfct.jpg

yWflyIY.jpg

I have also started fitting buffer stops - they are all printed just need to finish treating the wood and make them all up

WT6HzjL.jpg

4ge9Pmh.jpg

With the code for the I2CNetIOC's now complete, I have been working on a servo controlled version of the LGB remote de-coupler ramp. The files for the ramp are now up on Thingiverse / GrabCAD, however I have not yet properly tested the servo housing - this should be out in the wild some time soon. Thanks to Dagnall Dagnall for sharing the info on his servo housings - what a gent!

EdeKahb.jpg

VIH1jlc.jpg

Test fitted outside:

i8QmwCV.jpg

I realised that some of my ballast / new ground had settled a bit, so some re-ballasting was required. Perfect opportunity for a quick photo or two :)

1kBelTM.jpg

vTAZSUZ.jpg

lJ6tEui.jpg

VU8gWZ8.jpg

I recently picked up a PIKO V20 (my first PIKO Loco) and have converted it to battery RC - mainly to undertake track cleaning duty.

Half way through build - I forgot to take a finished picture.

ezVwFIi.jpg

Ready for the track:

phICybD.jpg

And now, for some PCB's!

First up, the block detection PCB complete and ready for garden testing:

qQptLmp.jpg

A couple of Coach Decoder PCBS built ready for installation:

dNHfd9i.jpg

One IBT-2 Turbo built and has been initially tested on my railway and a friends. Needs more work to get the short circuit detection working better - still works mucho better than the DC supply we were using.

x5gqlLv.jpg

oUhenc3.jpg

And lastly, some WiDCC boards being made and tested:

ronDUVs.jpg

EyWmKYX.jpg

qMbKr6B.jpg

hH1npOm.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't sneeze! :eek::D

Been there, done that..
Lost a dozen 0603 LEDs. - Though I have found a couple since.

PhilP

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Don't sneeze! :eek::D

Been there, done that..
Lost a dozen 0603 LEDs. - Though I have found a couple since.

PhilP
:rofl: Yep, not had a sneeze incident, but I have previously dropped something onto the page of bits.... that took a while to sort out!

I really should get a little organiser tray....