LGB Smoke Units

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
Best answers
Hi all, yesterday we bought a couple of LGB 18V smoke generators (65803). Today i've tried to fit one in the first loco, being a harz 2-6-2. There was a smoke generator in it already that had burnt out. After opening up the loco it was a simple case of removing the 2 wires from the old smoke unit and fitting the new one (simply 2 push on wires). After testing the loco it still wont produce any smoke...

PS. it's a newer version of the 2-6-2 with plastic valve gear if that could affect anything?
Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Many thanks
Matt

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
matthew said:
Hi all, yesterday we bought a couple of LGB 18V smoke generators (65803). Today i've tried to fit one in the first loco, being a harz 2-6-2. There was a smoke generator in it already that had burnt out. After opening up the loco it was a simple case of removing the 2 wires from the old smoke unit and fitting the new one (simply 2 push on wires). After testing the loco it still wont produce any smoke...

PS. it's a newer version of the 2-6-2 with plastic valve gear if that could affect anything?
Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Many thanks
Matt

Matthew, are you running digital or analogue control and is the loco chipped?

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ooops really should have mentioned, running analogue and the loco has a sound card fitted (Presumably by Ian S. as we bought the loco off him

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
matthew said:
Ooops really should have mentioned, running analogue and the loco has a sound card fitted (Presumably by Ian S. as we bought the loco off him

OK mate, the problem is with fitting the 18 volt smoke gene with analogue control is that the loco seldom gets 18 volts going into it unless it's driven at warp factor 6. You get the same problem with the starter set Stainz.

With digital control you can send a command to the loco that will ensure that the smoke gene gets the required power for it to work.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Matthew, this loco may have the five volt stabilization feature. meaning that the smoke unit gets fed five volts. In which case you will need to install one of LGB's five volt smoke units.

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I think that may be it Madman, and when we were buying them from GRS yesterday we couldn't remember whether it had plastic or metal valve gear, so thinking they were the older metal we were advised the 18V ones.

And we tried running it at full pace but still nothing so its pretty certain to be limited to 5V..

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hi its a 5 volt smoke unit you require, i fitted the sound unit ..locos digical

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yes 5V-have one and theres no doubt
18 V wont work even at full tilt as theres a resistor which will limit voltage to about 6 max

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Matt, are you able to measure the actual voltage at the circuit board connections? I ask as you state the original burnt out and I have investigated a few burnt out 5V smoke units, they are supposed to be self protecting even when run dry. I discovered that the LGB nominal 5V is very nominal, exceeding 8V on one recent occasion. The 5V smoke unit is fine up to 6V and maybe a little more, but no too much.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget, as has been discussed before on GSC and GSM, the Graupner 6V smoke unit sold by Cornwall Model Boats for £12.95 is identical to the LGB 5V unit but quite a bit cheaper than the typical LGB price I've seen (around £20?)

The Graupner doesn't come with the LGB push-fit connections (2 minute job to remove the connections from the burnt out unit and solder to the new one's wires).

I fitted one recently to my LGB Mikado, and it works just fine.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_2324.html < Link To http://www.cornwallmodelb...log/graupner_2324.html