Connnectors to LGB switch boxes

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have accumulated a number of LGB 51750/51755 switch boxes, many used. Few of them have come woth the female connectors required to connect them to a power supply and LGB do not seem to offer these as a spare part. Can somebody tell mee what these connectors are called so I can search for them online?

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i am not sure, to understand you.

this is the LGB 51750:

LGB-schalterbox.jpg
on the right side one sees two metalic sticks. that is the MALE connection to the power supply. on the left side there are two holes, the FEMALE connection to add another switchbox.

if you buy some male and female socalled "banana-plugs" of the same thickness, plus some short pieces of cables, you can connect the boxes to whatever you want.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The pins on the side of the 51750 (and presumably the 51755, I haven't got one of those) are for connecting two of the units together so they can take power from one source. The inputs for power from, say, a transformer, are terminals 3 and 4 marked with a black and a white circle respectively in the link below:

This site gives a good explanation on the 51750 unit:

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, I obviously wasn't clear. I was referring to the black and white plastic connectors that come in the box (or used to) with the 50750/51750 to push fit over the male terminals on the switch box.

The magic word I believe from the above and Google is "4 mm inline banana sockets" so I've ordered some. I had failed to recognise the possibiliity of banana plugs, despite having a "miscellaneous hi-fi" box full of them!

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
They are much smaller than any "banana" connector. They are basically the same as the older style Marklin plugs/sockets.
to be more precise, i meant that type of LGB plugs, i bought in 1982 in germany. the vendor named them "bananen stecker" (banana plugs) - so i did too.

bananenstecker.JPG

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Again, my web wanderings suggest that "banana plugs" come in both 4mm (what I needed) size and 2.6mm which I assume is what is illustreted above in the Brawa photos and Korm's post. I'm more familiar with the small version in the context of N and Z gauge, but I'd never heard them referred to as "bananas" before. You live and learn.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
thanks.

but i must confess, that i could not restrain myself from looking it up in google.
what i found was banana split bananasplit.jpg and banana split switch bananasplit switch.jpg

hat, coat, door...

Reactions: 1 user

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I have accumulated a number of LGB 51750/51755 switch boxes, many used. Few of them have come woth the female connectors required to connect them to a power supply and LGB do not seem to offer these as a spare part. Can somebody tell mee what these connectors are called so I can search for them online?

The power is connected to the black and white 3/4 connectors, slots 17 and 18. You need a AC power source. (Second Picture)

Ignore the side connectors unless you wish to daisy two or more units together or add a 52750 EPL Booster. LGB 52750 EPL-Booster, Collection Item

LGB_51750_4Ch_Momentary-Switch-Control-Box_lf-top-rr-rr-lid-up_800.jpg

s-l1600.png

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use the booster and it connects to one end of the box. My EPL drives do work better with the booster. Both end connectors and black/white 3 and 4 carry the A/C power and are wired in parallel..

Reactions: 1 user

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
In the intrests of clarity, please see picture below:

Banana plugs.jpg

In the left, in black and white, what LGB supplied originally with a new box. And which never come with second hand ones even when described as "boxed as new". You are more likely to get an untouched sticker set than the sockets (your experience may be different).

On the right what I sourced from Amazon in red and black. A bit smaller bit they fit. Result.

Thanks to all for your contributions.