Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
Hi Steve Lewis

Did you buy a volume control to fit on yr Massoth decoder?

I meant to mention it before they are quite inexpensive and do allow easy volume control wthout having to alter the volume CVs I fitted one to Keith Ts Saxon and it protrudes into the cab via the hole where the switch used to be! To assist in turning it I adapted a panel pin and drilled a small hole thro the control knob to form a 'T' bar,

Keith will prob advise if it still works OK??

Regards The other Steve Lewis
No need with the Navi just go to CV200 and adjust to your level can be done on the track. But not when running

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
Hi Steve Lewis

Did you buy a volume control to fit on yr Massoth decoder?

I meant to mention it before they are quite inexpensive and do allow easy volume control wthout having to alter the volume CVs I fitted one to Keith Ts Saxon and it protrudes into the cab via the hole where the switch used to be! To assist in turning it I adapted a panel pin and drilled a small hole thro the control knob to form a 'T' bar,

Keith will prob advise if it still works OK??

Regards The other Steve Lewis
It WORKS!
PARDON?

From a whisper to a roar.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Moving on then. As Phil recommended I drilled a series of holes directly below where the speaker fits and also two smaller holes for the self tapping speaker screws. Word of caution here, when drilling small hole do not put your fingers underneath the frame to support it, Don't ask but it hurts...:timeout:
a90dd1bbffbb436fb6cdb314ab665acd.jpg

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
The speaker in situ. The chip I just used one original hole and drilled a new hole for the other screw into the Lead/ metal, its fairly soft so a self tapper found its way in fairly easy
2dbeeae5725b4981a6788409faa3e689.jpg

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Nemo said:
Moving on then. As Phil recommended I drilled a series of holes directly below where the speaker fits and also two smaller holes for the self tapping speaker screws. Word of caution here, when drilling small hole do not put your fingers underneath the frame to support it, Don't ask but it hurts...:timeout:
images

OUCH!:mad:

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Now comes the wiring bit. First of all just a simple solder the two wires onto the speaker and that plugs directly into the top of the chip. The power bogies were not as simple as the 4 wires from each one where all colour coded BLACK..:timeout: As pointed out by Steve Lewis (not me) I had to find out which two where the pick ups and which two where the motor supply. Quite simple for me, I took them to work and gave them my electrical engineer, who then marked up which one was which. He tested the pick ups via his meter and the motor direction by a 9v battery. The power bogies where then wired together and connected to the chip as per Massoth instructions
aea0ca213a4b4346ac35216869dc8a98.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Nemo said:
The speaker in situ. The chip I just used one original hole and drilled a new hole for the other screw into the Lead/ metal, its fairly soft so a self tapper found its way in fairly easy
images

Good choice of speaker.
I've been using the slightly larger FRS 7 in many of Casey Jones' locos for a few years now.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...ers/6.5cm-Full-range-speaker/73509/kw/speaker < Link To http://www.rapidonline.co...eaker/73509/kw/speaker

http://uk.farnell.com/visaton/2018/speaker-frs-7-s-8-ohms/dp/1683900 < Link To http://uk.farnell.com/vis...-7-s-8-ohms/dp/1683900

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Good choice of speaker.
I've been using the slightly larger FRS 7 in many of Casey Jones' locos for a few years now.

The speaker came with the chip Neil, although Phil recommended this make of speaker as well.

STOP PRESS, I've just plucked up the courage and stuck it on me test track and everything WORKS, the sound is LOUD and good quality and both power bogies go the same way as well. Think me next step is to change some CVs for me lighting and smokey generator which on this loco are 5 volt

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
they are an impressive set up that combo.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A quick question if I may: from previous postings can I take it the volume knob is not mandatory with the XLS decoder? It doesn't need the connector pins bridging or anything like that, if no knob is used?

KentKeith asked me to check over a bunch of (believed dead) decoders a little while ago, including an XLS for which so far I've only tested that the motor drive works. If the volume knob is not required (I should check CV200 to set the volume?) then I only have to worry about plugging in a speaker to test the sound? Is there a "sound on/off" function key that also needs to be on?

I really must study the manual for the XLS (not used one myself yet).

Cheers

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
PEter think if you use an exteral volume switch CV 200 should be set to 255. Default 32 on & off should be F6

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
A quick question if I may: from previous postings can I take it the volume knob is not mandatory with the XLS decoder? It doesn't need the connector pins bridging or anything like that, if no knob is used?

KentKeith asked me to check over a bunch of (believed dead) decoders a little while ago, including an XLS for which so far I've only tested that the motor drive works. If the volume knob is not required (I should check CV200 to set the volume?) then I only have to worry about plugging in a speaker to test the sound? Is there a "sound on/off" function key that also needs to be on?

I really must study the manual for the XLS (not used one myself yet).

Cheers
Vol control knob not mandatory, but I find in practise it is more benficial to have one saves time if wanting to reduce vol quickly.,
Nothing has to be done if Vol control is NOT used.

Check CV200 to ensure that it is not set too low, cant put my hands on an instruction book at the mo but CV value of 64 rings a bell for FULL volume

From memory F1 may be the on / off function
Unless of course the functions have been altered in which case it may be worth doing a factory reset on the decoder, if the decoder is thought to be faulty then this is probaly the first action to take anyway!

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
F6 on the Massoth system is sound on/off

The volume Cv200 is factory set at 32 but can be changed from 1 up to 63.
Sounds like I know what Im on about dunt it, I've just read the manual.

By the way 32 on the volume is loud, I can easily hear it upstairs and the locos in the conservatory so god knows what it would be like at 63.........

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
most of mine are set to 7 steve..i find it nicer to lose the sound as the locos amble round the garden.. altering the volums a doddle on a navagature

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
most of mine are set to 7 steve..i find it nicer to lose the sound as the locos amble round the garden.. altering the volums a doddle on a navagature

Mum.... Mike's flaunting his navigator at me again :D.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Nemo said:
F6 on the Massoth system is sound on/off

The volume Cv200 is factory set at 32 but can be changed from 1 up to 63.
Sounds like I know what Im on about dunt it, I've just read the manual.

By the way 32 on the volume is loud, I can easily hear it upstairs and the locos in the conservatory so god knows what it would be like at 63.........

Told you they were good Steve. Listen to your uncle Phil

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Philbahn said:
Told you they were good Steve. Listen to your uncle Phil

Phil, he can't hear you for that darned sound system! :rofl:

Never thought about that Neil:clap: