Chipping a Saxon

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently gone digital (MTS3 + Massoth Navi) and want to put a Massoth XLS sound chip in my LGB Saxon loco. Ive never done this before so after advice on whats the best way and how easy is it. Now I know that more modern locos have chips fitted or can just plug said chip in. Not sure what Ive got so Ive taken two photos.
This is what it says on the underside of the loco.
1e4661669bfa4afe9e4c723be932c14c.jpg

This is the circuit board inside the loco
b43d82bd0a654c32af34962a67498787.jpg

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi

I have done 2 or 3 of these with Massoth XLSounddecoders,

It is fairly simple, The existing onboard PCBs can be discarded as the decoder does all the nescessary functions, simply identify the 2 sets of pickup leads, from each bogie, link these together ensuring that you get the correct pairing ie left hand rail & right hand rail!!

Similarly identify the 2 sets of motor feed cables and link these together ensuring as above you get them correctly paired!

From memory the cables for the above are coloured Brown, white , green & Yellow., white & Brown are pickup leads ( from track) Green & Yellow are motor feeds

This infor is contained in the Massoth decoder instruction manual.

Then a lead from the front light goes to connector mark LV similarly rear light goes to connector LH. and the other lead from the front & rear lights go to connectoor marked +

Cab light is wired to L1.

Again this is clearly marked in the instructions.

It sound complicated but working methodically from the decoder instructions is fairly easy AND the Saxon is an easy loco to get inside of!!

EDIT: Just re lookng at yr pics it is poss that the loco's wiring from the bogies ( th 4 wires which on some locos are colored yellow green brown white may not be coded this way so it will just be a case of checking to see which of the 4 wires does what which can be done with the 2 leads from an analogue controller or a meter if you have one,
Your loc is a 2001 manufactured one and there were some wiring changes made in LGB production around this time.

Good luck:clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As the loco already has the "direct decoder" facility, isn't it just a matter of plugging the decoder in to the existing board using the relevant (LGB or Massoth?) interface cable, rather that going to the trouble of stripping out the factory electronics?

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
In the case of the Saxon the Direct decoder method is to use 2 x MTS 2 ( Or massoth equivalent) decoders which plug into the PCBs for each bogie.

As a sound decoder is being fitted the best option is to hard wire a Massoth XL 3 amp sound decoder in to the loco. this decoder carries out all the funtions of the on board factory PCB thus making it redundant.

The "Direct Decoder" term is a description of Digtal readiness used by LGB for some earlier locos which usually refers to using MTS 2 decoders which have the female receptors ( the only way I can describe them sorry) for the pins which are present on the PCBs.

The current description for Digital readiness is symbolised by a plug and cable representing the digital plug which fits into the rectabgular socket on most LGB digital ready locos these days

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
In the case of the Saxon the Direct decoder method is to use 2 x MTS 2 ( Or massoth equivalent) decoders which plug into the PCBs for each bogie.

As a sound decoder is being fitted the best option is to hard wire a Massoth XL 3 amp sound decoder in to the loco. this decoder carries out all the funtions of the on board factory PCB thus making it redundant.

The "Direct Decoder" term is a description of Digtal readiness used by LGB for some earlier locos which usually refers to using MTS 2 decoders which have the female receptors ( the only way I can describe them sorry) for the pins which are present on the PCBs.

The current description for Digital readiness is symbolised by a plug and cable representing the digital plug which fits into the rectabgular socket on most LGB digital ready locos these days

Thanks for the clarification, Steve; so what's the other sticker you sometimes see, with just the six white dots on a black circle (without the "direct decoder" text)? Is that earlier or later?

I take it from what you've said that there is no easy way to wire a single XL/XLS to a "direct decoder" two-motor loco without ripping out the factory boards, then, or at least bypassing them completely?

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice Guys, its a little more tricky than what I though (I was hoping to just plug it in) but hay ho, life's not that simple. Still Im not bad with electrics so will give it a go,
Thanks
Steve........

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Nemo said:
Thanks for the advice Guys, its a little more tricky than what I though (I was hoping to just plug it in) but hay ho, life's not that simple. Still Im not bad with electrics so will give it a go,
Thanks
Steve........

If the lights fail while I am in Matlock I will know where to apportion the blame. Thought a piccy might help.
173d1b87f1054aa0ba30698fd40c540b.jpg

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
stevelewis said:

Thanks for the clarification, Steve; so what's the other sticker you sometimes see, with just the six white dots on a black circle (without the "direct decoder" text)? Is that earlier or later?

I take it from what you've said that there is no easy way to wire a single XL/XLS to a "direct decoder" two-motor loco without ripping out the factory boards, then, or at least bypassing them completely?
Here is one Steve did earlier complete with volume control to keep the neighbours friendly.

He must have got it right 'cos it works. :happy:
41494aa26da248f880a808baae724c26.jpg

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Zerogee said:
stevelewis said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The round sticker without the text means there is an interface for an MTS dcoder but a 55026 cable is also required!

Correct there is no other way to install a single decoder into a 2 motor loco WHICH DOESNT HAVE AN MTS 3 SOCKET FITTED ( THE NEWER LOCOS) The symbol is the rectangular plug & cable +DCC. if installing a Massoth or ESU decoder a Massoth interface cable is required to fitr into the socket,

Actually hard wiring a loco with a decoder is not so difficult just a case of follwing the decoders wiring diagram, after the origianl PCBs are removed or at least isolated from the locos electrical system

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
WOW KEITH IS IT REALLY THAT POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
It will pull more than that. I gave up at 86 axles.:D
Bear in mind that the track is level.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Right then, me chip arrived the other day so its time to make a start...:timeout:
This might be the last photo ever of me loco in one piece ?
2a14394ab6d14ae89012c48ba869aa83.jpg

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Photo with lid off, I've been told I don't need the loco's circuit board, so that comes out.
453719a2389f45d5869735100c9319ac.jpg

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I thought it would be best to strip the loco down as I have to cut a hole in the bottom of the loco to fit the speaker and to let the sound out.
2055d893dbff4a539a48328a485b3d4a.jpg

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Steve. Lots of piccies and simple explanations please. Got one to do too. :D

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Nemo said:
I thought it would be best to strip the loco down as I have to cut a hole in the bottom of the loco to fit the speaker and to let the sound out.
images
Wouldn't cut a hole rather drill a series of holes about 5 mm like spokes Steve

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Nemo said:
images

Nice one Phil, I'll do that tomorrow....:clap:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Nemo said:
images

You won't need many holes Steve, say 8 or 10.
The sound from the Massoth card is massive.
At full belt it is audible two gardens away!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Nemo said:
Right then, me chip arrived the other day so its time to make a start...:timeout:
This might be the last photo ever of me loco in one piece ?
images

Visaton 5watt or 8watt speakerLOUDWill be listening for it Steve

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi Steve Lewis

Did you buy a volume control to fit on yr Massoth decoder?

I meant to mention it before they are quite inexpensive and do allow easy volume control wthout having to alter the volume CVs I fitted one to Keith Ts Saxon and it protrudes into the cab via the hole where the switch used to be! To assist in turning it I adapted a panel pin and drilled a small hole thro the control knob to form a 'T' bar,

Keith will prob advise if it still works OK??

Regards The other Steve Lewis