Can't find a loco/railbus

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
A few weeks ago there was a thread which included a photo and part number for an LGB loco which intrigued me - but I didn't bookmark it or write down the number. Maybe someone can identify it from my crude description.

It was a steam rail bus, much like the UK railcars. Had an 0-4-0 steam engine in front, complete with outside valve gear, coal bunker under the extended roof, and a 4-wheel truck at the back. The interesting thing was that the whole steam engine was pivoted, not just the chassis/frames underneath. It looked typically central european.

Anyone tell me the LGB part number?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think that's an LGB product Fred - possibly a conversion using an LGB chassis or loco.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think Jon (Dunnyrail) alluded to a GRS 'special' that was available a few years back? - Based on LGB parts, I think..

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
It was a GRS special, I brought mine in July 1999 from them. The loco body was LGB Rack loco (part) on Stainz 040 chassis connected to 3062 coach (part). Red livery. There was a thread on here about them last year I think. GRS told me last year the builder had recently died. I am running mine this week it still runs very well.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, as per Nick's link, it was a one-off conversion for sale on French eBay. That thread also had a couple of pics that I posted of my GRS-built railbus on a similar theme.

I think that the "number" quoted in the eBay post might have been a reference for the seller, who appears to me a French dealer - it wasn't an LGB model number.

If you save the pics from the listing as inspiration, there is no reason why you couldn't build something very similar with an old Stainz, a suitable bogie coach and a bit of ingenuity! ;)

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It was a GRS special, I brought mine in July 1999 from them. The loco body was LGB Rack loco (part) on Stainz 040 chassis connected to 3062 coach (part). Red livery. There was a thread on here about them last year I think. GRS told me last year the builder had recently died. I am running mine this week it still runs very well.

That was mine, a GRS one that I acquired secondhand (in RhB markings and red/cream livery) from Chalk last year and have now rebuilt and repainted with extra lighting and a DCC sound decoder.....

Jon.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, as per Nick's link, it was a one-off conversion for sale on French eBay. That thread also had a couple of pics that I posted of my GRS-built railbus on a similar theme.

I think that the "number" quoted in the eBay post might have been a reference for the seller, who appears to me a French dealer - it wasn't an LGB model number.

If you save the pics from the listing as inspiration, there is no reason why you couldn't build something very similar with an old Stainz, a suitable bogie coach and a bit of ingenuity! ;)

Jon.
JON, did you spot the similar one for sale at Bressingham yesterday? Can't remember if it was on Garden Railways Ltd or the S.M.T.F. Model Shop stand, but am inclined towards the latter (the one with the rather optimistic prices). I didn't bother to look closely as I've bought too much this month already!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
JON, did you spot the similar one for sale at Bressingham yesterday? Can't remember if it was on Garden Railways Ltd or the S.M.T.F. Model Shop stand, but am inclined towards the latter (the one with the rather optimistic prices). I didn't bother to look closely as I've bought too much this month already!

Didn't make it to Bressingham. Mike, otherwise I'd have said hello...... Sadly I had other things happening.... ah well, there is always Llanfair at the end of the month!

Do you mean one like my GRS one, or one more like the French eBay model?

Jon.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Do you mean one like my GRS one, or one more like the French eBay model?

Jon.
Looked like the GRS one to me. Perhaps Beavercreek saw it, but he didn't mention it.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm . . thanks for the ideas, but I'm pretty sure the one I saw had a coal tender clearly visible under the roof overhang, and full outside valve gear.

Aha. While the eBay link takes you to a roller now, I did google the full name in the link, and got this:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...LGB-By-Lehmann-G-Locomotive-tender-vapeur.jpg

And what, might I ask, is it? Another Aha! moment - it's a backward Stainz with a coach attached. Just as you guys described, sorta. Very interesting. . .

Edit: yes, it is/was what I was remembering!

Attachments

• lgb railbus.jpg
    lgb railbus.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It was on the SMTF stand, but it wasn't like Fred's attachment, it looked like a home made jobby. Wasn't a bad price, but I'd spent my pocket money

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
And what, might I ask, is it?

That was the one..

Back-end of a Stainz, footplate/motion turned through 180, codged onto a coach..
The original listing had pictures of the underside, which was a little less pretty..

Not knocking it at all, quite a nice model, in an ugly sort of way! :tmi::giggle: