What's The Point?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
hmmm. Had thought of that, but then visiting locos will also need magnets. also thought to put the magnet under the first wagon instead but the rake gets reversed every lap (balloon loop), so perhaps under the centre wagon.

There may be another way, but it means major track upheaval and possibly a shorter (not quite so desirable) passing loop.

New Base (3) (450 x 600).jpg

If you look carefully you can see the existing linkage between the points, from when the track was under construction. It is the further set that need to be re-set when a train passes the nearest set on its return down the right-hand track. The near point is sprung to the left.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could you not use sprung points at both ends??

A train going 'up' the photo goes straight on, and pushes through at the far end..
A train going 'down' the photo diverges into the loop, and then pushes through as it exits at the bottom..

<edit>
Or the other way round?? - Depends which way (or both ways) from the route which diverges off the loop..

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The running sequence is, the first train runs up the left track of the passing-loop, and returns round the balloon loop, through the second set of points at the front of the loop (leaving them trailed). The second train, unable to access the passing loop must circuit the balloon and return down the right side of the passing loop. ATM, passing through the entry set (already sprung left) re-sets the balloon loop point back to the passing loop. I just want to improve the reliability of the operation by electrifying it.

Over-night thoughts (often the best, especially around 03.00am) suggest a micro switch on the end of the point tie-bar.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Someone will have to jump in, if this is possible??

How about a manual point switch (possibly with spring removed?) - would the aux. switch you can fit to the motors fit on one of these??

Just thinking it might be more weather-resistant..

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
My thoughts are entirely electro-mechanical. There may well be a better electronic solution beyond my ken.

I had thought about keeping the water and bugs out, and could easily build a small box to contain the workings with a push-rod through the side.

I guess you're thinking LGB parts and the question has been asked before will the manual switch fit the PL8 needed for Peco (or make your own I suppose)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Further thoughts suggest that the micro switch contact time would probably be too short to allow the point motor to fire.

Moving over to Korm's beam idea, that would work if it was moved up into the loop, away from the point. Otherwise it would be fired by trains in both directions.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hummmm...
Search for 'irdot' in the search engine of your choice..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
for a moment I thought that said 'idiot'.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I see lots of 'Id. 10t' faults, where computer users are concerned!
;):rofl::rofl:
(That is how 'user-ignorance' faults were logged)..

Reactions: 1 user