What's The Point?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
A question for the wise. Well, those wiser than me (that's just about everyone then! :wondering:)

I propose a new fiddle/stockyard, off my mainline. Space is as usual the main concern, i.e. can we possibly get that quart into the pint pot?

To get three tracks in I will need three left-hand point sets. These could be strung off one set in the main line, which I would favour. Meaning only one set of facing blades on a down-bank section, but that wastes room by positioning the whole thing further from the main line than I would like, if I maintain my minimum radius (4ft) throughout, and might even jeopardise the third track

If I put two sets in the mainline (and the third tailing the upper set), I can get my quart in.

Is two sets in the mainline a real NG railway solution, or am I rule 8ing, and what problems with signalling (next major project), or anything I haven't thought of yet, is it going to throw up? :worried:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Railways governed by the Light Railways Act were less strictly regulated than the major lines companies. In some cases they didn't need signals. I suspect that if they operated on a one engine in steam system even the single line token was a simple version.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It depends on the nature of your line. I am pretty darn certain that multiple sidings from the main have been built loads of times on quiet, slow lines. However on a main line type line (The RhB comes to mind) I would think they are pretty rare.
Rule 8 of course - its your railway.
I would stuff them in and have a good look and then make your mind up.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The answers will depend on whether what you are proposing is a true fiddle yard, that is a non-scenic area of your layout which represents the "rest of the world" where the "hand of God" descends to lift and turn or replace locos and rolling stock, or whether you want it to be part of your layout, a real depot /marshalling yard, with attendant scenic treatment, signalling, etc, where the train movements are controlled like on the main line. If the former than a lot of your concerns vanish, if the latter that is a lot more work and thought required. The realism required will depend of the theme of your layout, as UK, continental Europe and US practices, standard and narrow gauge, will be different. There are books on this subject but they tend to focus on smaller gauges, where traversers and sector plates feature; not that you can't do those in G-scale but you need a lot of space and thoughtful engineering .

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The beauty of modelling narrow gauge is that if you punt around for long enough, you can usually find a prototype for almost anything :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly Rhino. At the home of the Harz railway. Wernigerode station (the main line is on the right).
two lines branching off the main in to the loco yard.

DSC04939 (Medium).JPG

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to get back to this last night.

All the thoughts made read and digested. Some added things that have come up. The track is curved and the grade is steep (1:40) at the place where the points will need to be, unless I can modify the mainline somehow (unlikely, other than change the radius) and hence my main concern about leading point blades. My railway is UK only. The new yard is to be mostly to store stock, out of the terminus to make room to actually manage to run trains (sell some stock???). Locos are/will be stored in a branch/yard off the terminus entry. Some signalling will be fitted at some stage though there is some development and other engineering to be done before then.

To some extent consists will be assembled in the stockyard, though I doubt to any large extent. Mostly trains will sit there RTR, and be transferred to the terminus by dirty smelly long-chain hydro-carbon shunter.

I appreciate this is tricky from afar without a full track diag. Working on it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think UK narrow gauge gives you even more to play with - in fact I think you can be fairly comfortable that anything goes.

Anyway, just to liven it up, this is how they do it in Skagway, Alaska on the White Pass & Yukon Route :nerd::nerd::nerd:

PICT0087.JPG

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I think the answer to that Nigel, is way to the left, behind or beyond the shed. Perhaps to get enough length for a passing loop, due to an obstruction?

The main reason I'm not happy about facing blades is they seems to be the place I get most derails. Trailing sorts itself out, but then you cant have trailing in both directions. I will be electrifying the points, and that does seem to make them more reliable.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So was I. Maybe the inner curve is too sharp for modern stock! Don't know - just a guess.

Well one thing's for sure, it isn't a 'Y' :rofl::rofl::rofl:

At the time, I thought it might be curvature / radius issues but as it is so quirky, I've decided that I must model it :nod::nod:

PICT0001.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If you're worried about facing blades on a curve &/or incline, fit a check rail to guide flanges away from the blade tip. I had one place in my N gauge fiddleyard where I had to do this, and it worked wonders.

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very possible solution Nick. Good one! I like. It only need be quite short as long as it pulls the flange away from the outer rail. It seems I may have another slight let off. My stock will actually achieve a curve tighter than my usual min. rad. though one of my steamers wont, but as the yard is for stock I might get away with it.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I think UK narrow gauge gives you even more to play with - in fact I think you can be fairly comfortable that anything goes.

Anyway, just to liven it up, this is how they do it in Skagway, Alaska on the White Pass & Yukon Route :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Haha misread that sign. Thought it said Shagway Jct :D:D

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Its all in the mind Gareth - your mind :rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Haha misread that sign. Thought it said Shagway Jct :D:D
Perhaps the blokes who laid the junction had their minds on other things :giggle::giggle::giggle: :tmi::tmi::tmi:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well one thing's for sure, it isn't a 'Y' :rofl::rofl::rofl:

At the time, I thought it might be curvature / radius issues but as it is so quirky, I've decided that I must model it :nod::nod:

View attachment 207267
Certainly a very quirky bit of Railway. But nice rendition in G Scale. You will certainly get a great conversation piece if you incorporate it into your Railway.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be they happened to have a left-hand point, and crossing (cross-over?) 'in stock', so used what was to hand??

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be they happened to have a left-hand point, and crossing (cross-over?) 'in stock', so used what was to hand??

Well, when you hear some of the Skagway tales, anything is possible.

The other scenario that went through my mind was that the two curved tracks were original, as they go off to the Depot, and the straigh through section was added at a later date, as it goes down to one of the ship berths.

Beyond the shed are some storage loops - we actually boarded our train in the storage loops because there is so much rolling stock that it gets parked up all over the town. When the cruise ships are in town, every carriage is pressed into service, and the sidings in the town are deserted for much of the day.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate this is tricky from afar without a full track diag. Working on it.

Dragging this thread back on track (yes a pun).

Well I have worked on the track diag, but I've found SCARM files won't upload on here. :banghead: :rolleyes::rolleyes: