What's The Point?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Dragging this thread back on track (yes a pun).

Well I have worked on the track diag, but I've found SCARM files won't upload on here. :banghead: :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Are they too large?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
No, not visible in the folder, so most likely something to do with file type I guess.
Can you dump them into a different format, like .pdf?

If not, start a conversation with Paul Spann (a.k.a. Yoda :D:D )

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Changing the format is getting a bit beyond my ken. I tried 'save as' but the only option is a .scarm filetype.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
... I've found SCARM files won't upload on here. :banghead: :rolleyes::rolleyes:
The SCARM file format is probably proprietary, and certainly isn't an image format so wouldn't expect it to be acceptable for upload. You need to export the layout design as an image in JPG format, assuming this is one of the options in SCARM? A quick google says there should be a File > Export menu?

[edit]

Here's how to do it...
http://www.scarm.info/blog/basic-stuff/how-to-show-a-track-plan-to-others/

[/edit]

Last edited:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Nick. Easy when you know how (or can remember next time :D)

I'm surprised how small a file it actually is. It isn't all that clear and the ground isn't that shape at all really, but it'll do.

snapshot.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
JPG files have compression in them, and that picture is perfect for compression... instead of doing blue or green pixels a whole bunch in a row, the compression says "do a blue pixel 1000 times", instead of 1,000 "do a blue pixel" commands.

Greg

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
One drawback with SCARM seems to be that in 3D you can zoom in, but only on the whole thing, you can't pick a bit and zoom on that.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
One drawback with SCARM seems to be that in 3D you can zoom in, but only on the whole thing, you can't pick a bit and zoom on that.

Could you enlarge on that....

David

Then zoom in and do a "screen grab" - If you have Win7 or upwards there is a little utility called "Snipping Tool"
Take a look - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7
Alternatively - press "PrtSc" on your keyboard - PrtSC = Print Screen
Then paste what has been captured into "Paint" or whatever imaging program you have

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It seems that you have a reverse loop there - have you got a plan for dealing with polarity?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
It seems that you have a reverse loop there - have you got a plan for dealing with polarity?

Of course.

Steam only comes with one polarity . . . . HOT!

:giggle::giggle:

And the dirty, smelly, long-chain hydrocarbon shunter is battery powered.

Reactions: 1 user

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted two lines, running off my main, to use as storage. The idea was to have two trains ready to run with just the addition of a loco.

I built a tunnel with a stone entrance portal , it is 8ft. long and contains two tracks. It is a dead end tunnel but can be extended (if necessary) at a later date. This tunnel is beneath two larges bushes and is not really visible, except the portal. It would not be a suitable area for open track as leaves and access are not easy. The tunnel, built from roofing joists as sides and laid upon 20" square slabs supported by concrete blocks, has a removable roof - just in case. ;)

This has worked well and has given me a storage good feature which was not possible in other areas of the garden. I have since made another storage tunnel in the opposite part of the garden and a storage line leading to another dead end tunnel.

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I like it. Though my thoughts are tunnels need to run UNDER something. To keep my storage tracks level it will be around three feet off the ground at the buffer end (about 8" above the main-line), and just ground level as it hits the main line. The ground slope there is 1:6.

It'll work somehow. I'll make it! :whew::whew:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Of course.

Steam only comes with one polarity . . . . HOT!

:giggle::giggle:

And the dirty, smelly, long-chain hydrocarbon shunter is battery powered.

I love it when a plan comes together :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Then zoom in and do a "screen grab" - If you have Win7 or upwards there is a little utility called "Snipping Tool"
Take a look - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7
Alternatively - press "PrtSc" on your keyboard - PrtSC = Print Screen
Then paste what has been captured into "Paint" or whatever imaging program you have

Largely down to my poor description. The centre is fixed, though you can spin the object around, so when you zoom for detail round the edges of your 'baseboard', it disappears off the edge of the screen, so whatever you capture has to be low zoom.

That is probably down to the prog. having been written with smaller gauges in mind. Ours are just enormous in comparison to 'N' gauge.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of things point. I usually use LGB12010 switch motors, but wondered if the Piko 35271 will do as well with Peco G45 on a PL-8? Also are they as reliable and easily serviced?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Next 'pointed' :giggle: question!

I wish to trip a point automatically with a passing train on an adjacent track, as present it is done by a linkage that requires too much maintenance and is a touch unreliable. I have a point motor but am not sure how to fire it. A micro-switch treadle of some sort would probably do it, but has anyone a good design, or better solution? It only has to drive the point one way, i.e. return it to it's previous setting.