Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What, you mean the world WASN'T in black and white until the middle of the last Century???
Next you'll be telling me that people and horses didn't move faster in those days than they do now.....

:D :D :D

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ever since I saw the iconic photo of the line over the river, on the front of my brother's Mechano Magazine as a nipper, I have been fascinated by this line - but I have never traveled to Germany; dunno why :wondering::wondering:
If you get or even we ever get the chance to travel to Germany again. 3 things to do all get at able by Train, Wuppertal, Bad Doberan (puffers through the Street) and the Harz Mountains.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
If you get or even we ever get the chance to travel to Germany again. 3 things to do all get at able by Train, Wuppertal, Bad Doberan (puffers through the Street) and the Harz Mountains.
What about Zittau, Oschatz/Mugeln and Radebuel all easily accessible by train?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What about Zittau, Oschatz/Mugeln and Radebuel all easily accessible by train?
Ah but the ones I mentioned are the creme, Z,O and R are very nice but little Street running (as in Bad Doberan) and nothing IMHO compares to the Harz lines.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I can't see how colourisation does anything but enhance the experience. I am lucky enough to have travelled on the Schwebe Bahn and I still think it is a technological marvel. It is remarkable how peaceful things seem to be in Wuppertal as the train glides overhead.
Sorry, I hope it isn't thought I was anything but praising the film. It is a definition the Things To Do list. We passed it a couple of years ago and I said to my wife we're coming back at some point!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I don't consider Aerial Cableways, Monorails, Maglev, and other funny systems of similar elk, to be 'real railways'.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I don't consider Aerial Cableways, Monorails, Maglev, and other funny systems of similar elk, to be 'real railways'.
I think the definition may be somewhat blurred. IMHO if they run on Rails that is certainly a link and the SB is suspended on wheels that run on a Single Rail or Railway. I doubt anyone from Ireland or indeed France would thank you for not thinking of the Lartigue Monorail as anything but of the Railway type. Though certainly Cable Ways and Maglev are a grey area.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
the Lartigue Monorail

Quaint, in its own sort of way. Even worth a look, but not a 'real' railway, as we know it.
Of course, there is the Pateala State Monorail Tramway in India..... somewhat more akin to a Traction Engine, wouldn't you say.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nobbut - you can't help but be fascinated by the Wuppertal system :nerd::nerd:

I think it was the brainchild of a certain Mr Hugh Neek, who was also the motivating force behind the Lartigue monorail in Ireland

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Quaint, in its own sort of way. Even worth a look, but not a 'real' railway, as we know it.
Of course, there is the Pateala State Monorail Tramway in India..... somewhat more akin to a Traction Engine, wouldn't you say.
Indeed and the PSRT used a Rail as well. Seen it at the Delhi Museum but sadly was not running on the day we visited. In the pic below you can see why it was not running. For those that have never seen it there is a central rail and the big wheel on the outside (viewed in the pictures) runs on pretty well any surface. At the museum there is a Concrete Pad for theat big wheel to give a nice rids but what it must have been like on rough countryside Indian rights of way is best left to the imagination.
AD3DD6AB-4C22-4920-A262-C148CD549E92.jpeg

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Attachments

• Glenelg.jpg
    Glenelg.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this old great movie on YT of colorized New York in 1911. lots of Trams most showing the Conduit system then in operation. Towards the end is a great Paddle Boat with visible Beam Engine, amazing.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
60 fps and 4K (how 4k from 1911?) :giggle:

Unfortunately, on an old laptop, and Winders 7, t'will not run in a meaningful way. :(

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
60 fps and 4K (how 4k from 1911?) :giggle:

Unfortunately, on an old laptop, and Winders 7, t'will not run in a meaningful way. :(
Oh sorry about that Phil, we are both in the dark ages. You with an old PC me not trusting LiPo batteries!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice. I do like those old films, so see our museum pieces actually being used as they're meant to be, gives almost a sense of loss. I wonder if people will look at our films in 100 years time and have the same feelings?