Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Don't forget to wind them up
Oh yes!
Everything gets charged regularly.. Just like clock-work! :rock:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yep, there was a guy who invented a wind-up radio ....... no batteries required but, more importantly there was a missionary organisation in the 60s called 'Gospel Recordings' who made a lightweight hand-cranked record player that, no matter what speed you cranked the handle, would only play at the designed speed - and I cannot remember whether we are talking 33 rpm or 16 rpm (which was a speed solely recommended for speech).

So you could take it literally anywhere, crank the handle and just listen :clap::clap::clap:

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Blimey, "Shop at Binns" takes me back to visiting my maternal grandma in British West Hartlepool. Does Binns department store still exist?

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Blimey, "Shop at Binns" takes me back to visiting my maternal grandma in British West Hartlepool. Does Binns department store still exist?
They are part of the House of Fraser Goup now and some stores are closing.

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
I always think of Edinburgh when I see "Shop at Binns". On holiday, many, many years ago we wnt into Binns to buy a present for future mother in law. The shop assistant brought a chair over for SWMBO to sit down. This puzzled us until we realised herself had her camera stuffed down inside her jacket due to the rain.

Miamigo259

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Sheffield Corporation 264 at Beamish Museum back in March this year.....

20-139a.JPG

Little did I know at the time that this would be the only tram (along with the Sunderland one there) that I would ride on in 2020, after planned trips to Newark, Philadelphia and Boston ended up being ditched , for obvious reasons!

Miamigo259

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne 496 operating on MUNI line E last September during the San Francisco heritage transport weekend...

19-634a.jpg

This is one of the cars from their historic fleet that only gets used at special events like that due to the need for a two (or more) person crew. Both their Melbourne cars were out on the Sunday of the 2019 event.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Sheffield Corporation 264 at Beamish Museum back in March this year.....

View attachment 276382

Little did I know at the time that this would be the only tram (along with the Sunderland one there) that I would ride on in 2020, after planned trips to Newark, Philadelphia and Boston ended up being ditched , for obvious reasons!
I guess we all thought that, I was thinking about a trip to do the new bits of Tramway that have opened in Birmingham, Manchester and to do the Sheffield Tram Train. Bit ambitious for a day but just about doable. But since then Manchester have opened another extension so more likely 2 days out now. Interesting that the 2 year experiment of the Tram Train has ended but the service will thankfully continue. Would have been gutted had they closed it without a trip in it!

To think that before I got Barney I was traveling every route on every Tramway every year including the DLR and Newcastle Metro which some do not regard as Trams but I do. But as more systems opened with extensions it juat started to get too silly with panic trips in December to complete the task. Not going to get another Tramride now till this is all over or at least inoculated.

Miamigo259

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I guess we all thought that, I was thinking about a trip to do the new bits of Tramway that have opened in Birmingham, Manchester and to do the Sheffield Tram Train. Bit ambitious for a day but just about doable. But since then Manchester have opened another extension so more likely 2 days out now. Interesting that the 2 year experiment of the Tram Train has ended but the service will thankfully continue. Would have been gutted had they closed it without a trip in it!

To think that before I got Barney I was traveling every route on every Tramway every year including the DLR and Newcastle Metro which some do not regard as Trams but I do. But as more systems opened with extensions it juat started to get too silly with panic trips in December to complete the task. Not going to get another Tramride now till this is all over or at least inoculated.

I ended up arranging the Beamish trip at very short notice for the long weekend of 13-15 March as some sort of replacement for a trip to New Jersey, which should have run from 12th March. I saw the way things were heading and pulled the plug on the NJ trip on the Tuesday of that week. At least with Beamish, I incorporated visits to Tanfield, Darlington and Shildon as well, so covered a lot of places I hadn't been to for 30+ years, if at all.
Was going to ride NET in Nottingham in September, but did a GCR trip (Ruddington/Mountsorrel/Quorn Beer Festival) instead. The GCR run (Quorn-Leicester N) is the only "proper" train ride I have been on all year, as I don't count the short trips at Beamish behind Peckett 2000 & Puffing Billy and a cab ride in a Ruston diesel at Mountsorrel as "proper" trips!
I think the Tyne & Wear Metro will be my priority once things "normalise", given the impending arrival of new stock....