STEAM TRAMS : is there much interest for them on here?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...What I believe to be a true Paris speciality, Rowan Steam Car seen at de Louvre. These vertical Boilered beasts appeared to be quite successful and it is a shame that none have been preserved ..... Unless you know different...
Not a tram but there are dampftriebwagens (steam railcars) with vertical boilers still in working order, one here:
There was a narrow gauge (750mm) version called DWss1 which I quite fancy having a go at scratch building.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a tram but there are dampftriebwagens (steam railcars) with vertical boilers still in working order, one here:
There was a narrow gauge (750mm) version called DWss1 which I quite fancy having a go at scratch building.
Yes there are plenty of Steam Railcars about, Didcot has one as well. But the Rowan Cars (Trams) had a Bogie at the Front which swiveled and a Single Wheel at the rear which is what I guess makes a Rowan pretty unique. Little I guess like Shays, Heislers, Climax etc, some differences to get away from an original/make a new Patent.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Perrett Steam Tram - Dublin & Lucan.jpg
Dublin & Lucan Perrett SteamTram

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Trev? :) - I bet you haven't been awake long:D
Quite right Mick, sorry wind blowing down my working Chimneys woke me up an hour or two ago and sleep just not possible.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
One is tempted to say that only in Ireland would you find such a beast :smoke::smoke:

But then, without such inventiveness, where would we be :rock::rock::rock:

Yes, but it appears to have been made in Nottingham. The write up mentions heavy fuel consumption and suggests some possible reasons but doesn't include the twin boilers. Surely maintaining two boilers for such a unit would waste more fuel than a single boiler.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
One is tempted to say that only in Ireland would you find such a beast :smoke::smoke:

Did you know that the Dublin Luas has the longest trams in the world - nine sections!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but it appears to have been made in Nottingham. The write up mentions heavy fuel consumption and suggests some possible reasons but doesn't include the twin boilers. Surely maintaining two boilers for such a unit would waste more fuel than a single boiler.
Yes, so one wonders whether it was due to lack of space i.e two small boilers, or the need to be at both ends.............

Who knows?

................but fascinating all the same :wondering::wondering::wondering::wondering:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Oh temptation a dangerous thing! In UK as well, the Wantage Tramway had the Grantham Steam Car which was somewhat similar with a Boiler Central but no roof on the Top Deck.image.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Gone a little quiet on this thread so I thought that I might liven it up a little with something a little different.

Just take a look at the image below of Valenciennes. A typical Street scene that could be almost anywhere in Europe.
image.jpeg
But look at this below, because this is what it looked like in the days of Steam Trams. I have always loved this location and this picture as it gives me much inspiration for a small Terminal Station. Just I think 4 points comprising a Run Round Loop with a platform Road that is very very narrow with just 2 sidings. All next to a superb iconic what I believe to be Market Hall. Certainly there is a Market in full swing to the front of the Building. Plus a Road that is fenced and drops to the Buildings at the rear. No protection at all for the Steam Tram Driver, they must have been made of sterner stuff in those days.
image.jpeg
Next some time later, note that the Steam Tram now has some end protection. Plus the Buildings have seen some changes but the Chimney provides a lasting link. Also I believe that the Track Layout has had another siding added together with what looks like a Traverser or somesuch to save on Pointwork for running round. Perhaps this was as the Tram System became more popular 4 coach rather than 3 coach services were required.
image.jpeg
All of these pictures are celebrated by the fact that there is now a Tram Line roughly where the taker of each picture was standing.

Reactions: 6 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This appeared to me to be the place to show this. I was at Warley Show NEC yesterday and saw that Mamod had done a Battery Electric Steam Tram. Not seen it before but it did look and sound quite nice. Bit too Toby like for my fancy but I am sure it would be if interest to some on the Forum.

The Tram - Mamod Model Steam Engine and Train Products and Accessories

455ECD09-0887-4DFF-85E4-1BCDA56DF43A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
An old set of Pics of my LGB Steam Trams, missing is the one I converted to fit onto a Stainz Chassis that shows the Stains Valve Gear.
You can see quite a few differences between them, the final one in Black is the DCC one.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Another Vid of some English NOW Steam Trams. One I was aware of at Telford now Horsehay, the other at Far Ings Farm that was entirely new to me. Just goes to show you do not know what you do not Know! Also,on this delightful vid some other views of recent Steam Trams from other parts of the globe.

Another Vid of some English NOW Steam Trams. One I was aware of at Telford now Horsehay, the other at Far Ings Farm that was entirely new to me. Just goes to show you do not know what you do not Know! Also,on this delightful vid some other views of recent Steam Trams from other parts of the globe.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did anyone see the recent TV program - Edwardian Britain in Colour? In the second of the two programs there was a section that showed steam trams for quite some time. Good footage and colourised.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
As far as I know there are 2 baldwin motors operational world wide one at Valley Heights and one at Motat in Auckland.
We in Australia are lucky to have the only surviving Purrey steam tram and I have only one baldwin look alike...
Purrey steam tram249740

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
This appeared to me to be the place to show this. I was at Warley Show NEC yesterday and saw that Mamod had done a Battery Electric Steam Tram. Not seen it before but it did look and sound quite nice. Bit too Toby like for my fancy but I am sure it would be if interest to some on the Forum.

The Tram - Mamod Model Steam Engine and Train Products and Accessories

View attachment 245890
I've seen one of these in action, they seem great fun, plus, of course, being a Mamod, very open to improvement

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I get lots of Mails fro Pinterest, some of varying interest but this one was one of those wow ones. I wonder what the collective noun for Steam Trams may be, certainly this link has a ‘Surfeit’ of Steam Tram (Steam Dummies for you guys State Side) pictures of all types and shapes including many Steam Railcars.