Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget to wind them up
Oh yes!
Everything gets charged regularly.. Just like clock-work! :rock:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yep, there was a guy who invented a wind-up radio ....... no batteries required but, more importantly there was a missionary organisation in the 60s called 'Gospel Recordings' who made a lightweight hand-cranked record player that, no matter what speed you cranked the handle, would only play at the designed speed - and I cannot remember whether we are talking 33 rpm or 16 rpm (which was a speed solely recommended for speech).

So you could take it literally anywhere, crank the handle and just listen :clap::clap::clap:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey, "Shop at Binns" takes me back to visiting my maternal grandma in British West Hartlepool. Does Binns department store still exist?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey, "Shop at Binns" takes me back to visiting my maternal grandma in British West Hartlepool. Does Binns department store still exist?
They are part of the House of Fraser Goup now and some stores are closing.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I always think of Edinburgh when I see "Shop at Binns". On holiday, many, many years ago we wnt into Binns to buy a present for future mother in law. The shop assistant brought a chair over for SWMBO to sit down. This puzzled us until we realised herself had her camera stuffed down inside her jacket due to the rain.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sheffield Corporation 264 at Beamish Museum back in March this year.....

20-139a.JPG

Little did I know at the time that this would be the only tram (along with the Sunderland one there) that I would ride on in 2020, after planned trips to Newark, Philadelphia and Boston ended up being ditched , for obvious reasons!

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Melbourne 496 operating on MUNI line E last September during the San Francisco heritage transport weekend...

19-634a.jpg

This is one of the cars from their historic fleet that only gets used at special events like that due to the need for a two (or more) person crew. Both their Melbourne cars were out on the Sunday of the 2019 event.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sheffield Corporation 264 at Beamish Museum back in March this year.....

View attachment 276382

Little did I know at the time that this would be the only tram (along with the Sunderland one there) that I would ride on in 2020, after planned trips to Newark, Philadelphia and Boston ended up being ditched , for obvious reasons!
I guess we all thought that, I was thinking about a trip to do the new bits of Tramway that have opened in Birmingham, Manchester and to do the Sheffield Tram Train. Bit ambitious for a day but just about doable. But since then Manchester have opened another extension so more likely 2 days out now. Interesting that the 2 year experiment of the Tram Train has ended but the service will thankfully continue. Would have been gutted had they closed it without a trip in it!

To think that before I got Barney I was traveling every route on every Tramway every year including the DLR and Newcastle Metro which some do not regard as Trams but I do. But as more systems opened with extensions it juat started to get too silly with panic trips in December to complete the task. Not going to get another Tramride now till this is all over or at least inoculated.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I guess we all thought that, I was thinking about a trip to do the new bits of Tramway that have opened in Birmingham, Manchester and to do the Sheffield Tram Train. Bit ambitious for a day but just about doable. But since then Manchester have opened another extension so more likely 2 days out now. Interesting that the 2 year experiment of the Tram Train has ended but the service will thankfully continue. Would have been gutted had they closed it without a trip in it!

To think that before I got Barney I was traveling every route on every Tramway every year including the DLR and Newcastle Metro which some do not regard as Trams but I do. But as more systems opened with extensions it juat started to get too silly with panic trips in December to complete the task. Not going to get another Tramride now till this is all over or at least inoculated.

I ended up arranging the Beamish trip at very short notice for the long weekend of 13-15 March as some sort of replacement for a trip to New Jersey, which should have run from 12th March. I saw the way things were heading and pulled the plug on the NJ trip on the Tuesday of that week. At least with Beamish, I incorporated visits to Tanfield, Darlington and Shildon as well, so covered a lot of places I hadn't been to for 30+ years, if at all.
Was going to ride NET in Nottingham in September, but did a GCR trip (Ruddington/Mountsorrel/Quorn Beer Festival) instead. The GCR run (Quorn-Leicester N) is the only "proper" train ride I have been on all year, as I don't count the short trips at Beamish behind Peckett 2000 & Puffing Billy and a cab ride in a Ruston diesel at Mountsorrel as "proper" trips!
I think the Tyne & Wear Metro will be my priority once things "normalise", given the impending arrival of new stock....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I was looking at this picture of the Highgate Cable Tram today and wondered if the location looked at all similar today. Well looking at Google Earth there is a lot that is the same, sadly not the Cable Cars. What an environmental win these would be today.
F2BA06F4-36A3-462B-9516-2F38314B7792.jpeg
89AF5119-3A1D-4AFD-BF86-992273F3F4B4.jpeg

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Trawling through the Parry People Mover siteI found this little piece of magic. Takes some finding but well worth the hunt as there are dimensions etc. Certainly parry are working behind the scenes, let us hope all their effort comes good in the end. But double decker trams out of fashion except in Blackpool and then only old little used ones. But who knows perhaps they may have their day again?
82A2306F-1A05-47BF-BC0C-0E0FF3A3E48F.png

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if this is the right thread to post these pics. While sorting through a box in the garage cam across photos of a couple of my scratchbuilt 1/32 scale models which were entered in the competition at The Festival of Model Tramways in Fleetwood 1998. Running on PECO 'O' gauge track. Powered with LIMA 4 wheel motor bogies. The Amsterdam unit got a 'very highly commended' and the Chester demi-car a 'highly commended'. Sorry about the quality - that's Instamatic 110 for you.

img956 (2).jpgimg960 (2).jpgimg955 (3).jpgimg961 (2).jpgimg958 (2).jpgimg957 (2).jpg

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Well, winter has arrived in Germany. A lot of trams and the railroad are shut down. 30-50 cm of snow and drifting snow. If that is not enough, the winter takes on freezing rain. Overhead lines are freezing and yesterday passengers had to be rescued from a suspension railway car with the fire department turntable ladder. Freezing rain hangs the power rail paralyzed.

In Gotha, where the Thüringer Waldbahn run their trams, they used a snpow plug through out the night.
Here a movie from the 6 th to 7th February 2021:
Tram Snow plug on duty

Here a link to the Schwebebahn Rescue:
Suspension rail stuck on frizing rain

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well, winter has arrived in Germany. A lot of trams and the railroad are shut down. 30-50 cm of snow and drifting snow. If that is not enough, the winter takes on freezing rain. Overhead lines are freezing and yesterday passengers had to be rescued from a suspension railway car with the fire department turntable ladder. Freezing rain hangs the power rail paralyzed.

In Gotha, where the Thüringer Waldbahn run their trams, they used a snpow plug through out the night.
Here a movie from the 6 th to 7th February 2021:
Tram Snow plug on duty

Here a link to the Schwebebahn Rescue:
Suspension rail stuck on frizing rain
Jangs going to have to make some flags for me snaa plow now. But thank goodness for the Fire Service and Cherry Pickers In Wuppertal.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks. I have just joined the group. I have made the jump from o gauge to g scale (and LGB) relatively late in life - I wish I had known about it earlier. I am currently building a layout on my balcony, on which I hope to operate both trams and trains, but not at the same time.

I worked on the Sintra tramway in Portugal, and hope to convert a couple of the Bachmann open trams to the type that operated there. I have two on order so far. I believe I may be able to make two Sintra cars out of three open Bachmanns.

I already have two of the Bachmann closed cars, which can be converted to Porto Brill cars by adding vestibule windows.

I lashed out and bought a Bachmann PCC and a Chicago standard bogie car.

The Occre models look very attractive, but having read comments on here, and watched some of the videos of their construction, I feel my limited modelling skills may hold me back here. Are there people in this forum that accept commissions to build for others?

I attach some photos of the construction of the platform for the layout. I live on the shore of the Clyde estuaryView attachment 280872View attachment 280871.
Interesting surface on the outdoor section of your 'baseboard'. A somewhat precarious situation for trains on the track I assume will be running parallel with the railings. Hope you have something in mind to cope with the windy conditions up there.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
From one of the sadly cancelled Tram Systems initiated by London. Yes it is a pen from one of their events back in the day. Have some paperwork about as well I think. Sadly the pen does not work anymore, just like London without that Tram System that would probably have been running for nearly a decade now if not cancelled.
image.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting surface on the outdoor section of your 'baseboard'. A somewhat precarious situation for trains on the track I assume will be running parallel with the railings. Hope you have something in mind to cope with the windy conditions up there.
I think it's glassed in, Mike.