Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Carrying on East before Clear Lake I found a Locy on Street View then found a Circle of Track. On Street View there is a PCC and a Shunter at a Building that looks to be a Museum.
JonD

I've been having a look on the net to see whether the "Iowa Troley Park" actually still is in operation and what is kept there, if anything.
Their only presence appears to be on Facebook, as the linked website from the FB page no longer is in operation. They don't appear to do a lot, and certainly don't seem to function as a proper "museum" at all.
However, the building there appears to be being used as a workshops for the construction of a replica of an 1860's Virginia and Truckee 2-6-0 locomotive, which has its own FB page....

https://www.facebook.com/V-T-Lyon-269396092936/

Even as a non-FB user like me, you can access their page OK

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wow Trams to a VnT 2-6-0. What a superb use for the Building. Looking forward to seeing that little baby running. Shme they are not using the Tram Loop thoigh for the Trams. If only Crich had that facility and the Line as well to run on. Oh well dream on.
JonD

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very good, with a moving map to show you where you are. Very interesting, thanks.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That successfully occupied more than a few minutes.:happy:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting.. I *really* must do something else though..:(:clap::clap:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Gratuitous tram pic, just for the sake of it, Black Country Museum, February 2010.

dig 100220017.JPG

David

Reactions: 2 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I remember 49 before its restoration but cannot recollect the horse car behind - what system did that belong to?

Sorry, I cannot help you there. a full shot of the building interior does not help as the vehicle in question is largely hidden.

dig 100220016.JPG

David

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice building though. Don't show Mike!

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Its Wolverhampton double deck horse car No. 23 as far as I know. (ex Wolverhampton & Dudley). Ended up as a works car on the Wolverhampton system.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have found a photograph of the complete vehicle on 'tinternet.

thV4YBF9CD.jpg

David

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Its Wolverhampton double deck horse car No. 23 as far as I know. (ex Wolverhampton & Dudley). Ended up as a works car on the Wolverhampton system.

Quote; I have found a photograph of the complete vehicle on 'tinternet.

Thanks both!

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
I don't agree. They were both under the control of the Postmaster General, so they were ALL Post Office vans. I spent 33 years fixing the bl**dy things!
I spent 33 years driving them !!! My first van: Morris Minor , 1965 reg.( C ), green and still with the full "Post Office Telephones" and crown logos, I got it when I finished my apprenticeship in 1976 (apprentices weren't allowed their own vans then), and weren't allowed to drive at all until they'd passed the Post Office Driving Test (twice around the TEC yard, in my case !) Being such an old one, someone had long since drilled-out the restrictor plate so I was able to enjoy the country lanes of Warwickshire with impunity !

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Fleet Serial No 108xxx, at that age, most likely. Our runabout was 108069. We got so we tell the age (and cringe) by the fleet Nos. Doubt you'd have had for very long they usually got rid at 12 years, though there were exceptions.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Would railbuses, interurbans and railmotors fit into the tram arena?
I thought about converting a LGB street car into a diesel railmotor interurban (or maybe an electric version)

interurban 24 B&W.jpg

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Fleet Serial No 108xxx, at that age, most likely. Our runabout was 108069. We got so we tell the age (and cringe) by the fleet Nos. Doubt you'd have had for very long they usually got rid at 12 years, though there were exceptions.
It was already on borrowed time but I had it for nearly a year, and was then given an H reg. MM in yellow, I think it still had the full Post Office Telephones lettering but was minus the crowns by then. I was in the EL&P department and we always seemed to get forgotten when it came to new vehicles, we usually got hand-me-downs from the Subs App & Line guys !

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds about right, and after you came the M.T. we got left out of everything, even the pay rises!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I spent 33 years driving them !!! My first van: Morris Minor , 1965 reg.( C ), green and still with the full "Post Office Telephones" and crown logos, I got it when I finished my apprenticeship in 1976 (apprentices weren't allowed their own vans then), and weren't allowed to drive at all until they'd passed the Post Office Driving Test (twice around the TEC yard, in my case !) Being such an old one, someone had long since drilled-out the restrictor plate so I was able to enjoy the country lanes of Warwickshire with impunity !

So which bit of POT were you?
I was BBC, Pebble Mill based from '76.. If you were OB (outside broadcast) lines, our paths may have crossed?
Spent many 'happy' hours at the National Agricultural Centre, testing lines.

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
So which bit of POT were you?
I was BBC, Pebble Mill based from '76.. If you were OB (outside broadcast) lines, our paths may have crossed?
Spent many 'happy' hours at the National Agricultural Centre, testing lines.

EL & P, Coventry area, head-quartered at Leamington Spa, later at Rugby. First of all on installation as a TIIA and later Power Maintenance TO. I did have the NAC on my power maintenance load for around my last 5 to 6 years of service, but took voluntary redundancy in 2006 after serious illness.
Interestingly, most of the mechanics at Leamington 'Postal garage' (as we new it) were Sikhs (a large community in Leamington Spa) and I was always fascinated that their white turbans were always spotless, even when coming out of the pits from under the vans ! The same could not be said for their overalls !
With all the re-orgs over the years (the New wave etc. ad nauseum) we eventually came under the control of a Birmingham-based AEE (sorry, Level 2 manager . . . . nearly forgot the management-speak then !), and despite very tight budgetry control on maintenance of so-called 'core business' we became much better managed and supported. and actually started to feel like a 'team' Ha Ha Ha !:rofl: . . . . . . . . . then I left !