Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Would railbuses, interurbans and railmotors fit into the tram arena?
I thought about converting a LGB street car into a diesel railmotor interurban (or maybe an electric version)

View attachment 208911

One of the Denver & Intermountain cars is preserved (I assume it is still there...) at the Colorado museum in Golden....seen here back in (a rather cold) April 1983....

83-103.JPG

Interurbans would certainly fall into the "Tramway" category, as woud various "Light Rail" operations which would even cover some of the Swiss local lines. You could even include things like this.......

DSCF7504.JPG
Though I can't say I've ever seen a model of a Tyne & Wear metrocar in any scale!

I have started work on a 2-car Interurban unit following on from the Freight Motor conversion of last year, but work on that, and any other G projects has ground to a halt over the past couple of months for various reasons. Hopefully work will resume again at some stage in the near future.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Though I can't say I've ever seen a model of a Tyne & Wear metrocar in any scale!
I'm sure I saw a an 00 layout in a Railway Modeller a couple of years back.

Not sure if the Metro cars were kit or scratch built....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure I saw a an 00 layout in a Railway Modeller a couple of years back.

Not sure if the Metro cars were kit or scratch built....
Think they were scratch built, and the overhead wire had some sort of special arrangement at some point.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Would railbuses, interurbans and railmotors fit into the tram arena?
I thought about converting a LGB street car into a diesel railmotor interurban (or maybe an electric version)

View attachment 208911
And why not, the Platt Valley in Denver had a small Diesel Genny Van on the back when I went for a ride there back in 1994. But my LLB will have a Van with a Diesel Sound Unit in to show the Rack Line off the Wires in old East Germany after the Ruskies ran off with all the Wire on part of my mythical Railway. The Rack Lecy will still have its Electrical Sound as well. Remember Rule 1.
JonD

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Gratuitous tram pic, actually duplicated from my pic of the day in the Coffee Lounge. A tram trundles through the streets of Soller on its return journey from Puerto Soller, Mallorca, 22.6.2010

160416.JPG

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Same theme as above. Duplication of my pic of the day, 25.4.2016, in the Coffee Lounge. Not a photograph of a tram, but the view out of the window as the tram from Soller approaches Puerto Soller, along the bay. Taken 22.6.2010. Not many more attractive or sunnier destinations for a tram ride.

dig 100622075.JPG

David

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You don't have to run all your trams on your line in the same livery either..............

16-193.JPG

The San Francisco tram lines E & F run PCC cars in liveries from other operators in the US/Canada/Mexico, and Birmingham (Alabama) & Cincinnati liveried car are seen passing on the Embarcadero when I was there last week.

Some other liveries are El Paso/Cudad Juarez
16-196.JPG

Los Angeles
16-184.JPG

and Cleveland
16-203.JPG

They also operate some Peter Witt cars from Milan (the one in Italy...) and a couple of Boat cars from sunny Blackpool, though the latter only come out on charters/special events or during the high summer period.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
San Fran, as close to Tram Heaven as it gets, plus Trolleys too.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
These were taken at Doncaster yesterday (20/5/16). I believe it says Stockport trams above.

DSCN6167 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCN6168 (600 x 450).jpg

The two images are the same, one with flash, the other without. Usual situation in these places, neither really does the job. The flash loses because of lack of range, without loses because of the longer exposure time, and nowhere to steady the camera. I used to hand-hold an 1/8th of a second easily, but these days I struggle at anything under 1/30th.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit of Tram bashing on my recent Harz Trip thought some of my Pics would be appreciated.
NORDHAUSEN.
First up we managed to Bunk the Shed, sort of with permission but were then told it was a Private Place. Oh well never mind we saw all we needed to. General view of the Tram Shed below, the Yellow bit is I believe pretty original from the old days of the East. Since the Modernization and extension to the Tranz Harz the new bit to the right has been added. This serves as a nice home for the Preserved Trams as well. Note that as there are many Single Ended Cars on the System, all the Termini have Loops, plus they have managed to fit one into the Depot.
image.jpeg
Now some pics of the Old Iron.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
The Terminus by the Hospital, the Trams from the HSB Terminate here.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
The River Bridge just a 5 minute walk from the Hbf makes some nice pics.
image.jpeg
Finally on my last day I was happy to travel from Wernigerode to Nordhausen on the 0730 Train which Terminates at the Tram Stop. Duo Diesel Electric Tram to the Left, these were doing Town Circuits on this day (a Sunday) which is why the Railcar comes to the Tram Stop.
image.jpeg
My trip had planned to visit Halberstadt and Frankfurt Trams as well, but these never got visited. However there was a consolation prize. More pics later.
JonD

Reactions: 2 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Tram pic duplicated from today's pic in the Coffee Lounge. Tram and trailers thread their way though the streets of Soller, Mallorca, 22.6.2010

dig 100622066.JPG

David

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
For something different, a couple of water sprinkler cars used on the Riga tram system in Latvia........

DSCF8360.JPG DSCF8361.JPG
Was rather surprised to see them in operation on Tuesday morning, though having managed to cover the 6 tram lines over the past 4 days, they certainly need them there, given the state of the road surfaces that they actually run on!

An potential interesting modelling conversion job..........

Reactions: 2 users

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
One from the East Anglian Transport Museum at Carlton Colville from earlier today...........

DSCF8585.JPG

LCC 106 was visiting from the Crich tram museum for their two day "London Event" this weekend.

The former Ipswich Corporation Ransomes Orwell battery tower wagon (1922) can be seen on the left of the picture.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Err pardon my ignorance but why the water spraying? Doesn't look enough to cleanse

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Err pardon my ignorance but why the water spraying? Doesn't look enough to cleanse

Think it 'binds' the dust, so it doesn't get into the bearings / motors so much??

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
637.JPG

Zurich, 12 months ago.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ