Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OFF TOPIC Miamigo 259 a Caroline connection? ( I went to school with one of them!)

Only connection is that I used to listen to the Dutch station of that name from the Caroline ship in the 1970's - hence the user name.
Had a look round the Ross Revenge when it was based at Queenborough in the 1990's, but that was the only time I went onboard one of the ships!

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
If I were faced with this problem I think I would put up catenary masts/trolley poles, no wires, and run the vehicles with raised pantographs. I've been looking at a lot of You Tube vids recently and definitely the worst option for me is no masts and pantographs down. (Sounds a bit like a Music Hall joke).

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If I were faced with this problem I think I would put up catenary masts/trolley poles, no wires, and run the vehicles with raised pantographs. I've been looking at a lot of You Tube vids recently and definitely the worst option for me is no masts and pantographs down. (Sounds a bit like a Music Hall joke).

That would certainly avoid any problems with things getting snagged on the wires, or getting in the way when you want to get to stock or track for cleaning - one reason why I already do that on my N scale layout

DSCF7204.JPG
Only overhead I have ever scratchbuilt so far is a short section of (non working) trolleybus overhead in OO, and that was "fun"

DSCF7205.JPG

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Never done it myself but I often read of some electric outline layouts being equipped with black elasticated thread as the OHL contact wires, so it allows access by hand to the track as simply 'springs' back into position

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I had a catenary system, or should I say a series of systems until a few years ago. I love to watch as electric locomotives run under it and ACTUALLY take power from it. But alas, twas not to be as grandchildren and head gardener were not quite as aware of it as the fool who built it was. At 1:52 you can see a half baked shot of the system I had using LGB components in the first film. The second clip is of a point to point line that is now a wireless tram line that uses imaginary outside third rail.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I don't need overhead for this - I'll try and post another below - can't seem to get it right!

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Pic?

Leeds Tramways Co. (1).JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Very nice.

Someone who I know was going to make a G scale horse tram for his layout but think he was bogged down with trying to work out how he could "animate" the horse!.
Perhaps when he has finished restoring the 12" to the foot version he is currently rebuilding, he may apply himself to that problem again........
I have seen a large scale horse tram on a layout before, but the horse was standing, static, on a movable platform with very small wheels, which didn't quiite "look right".

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen (on the Net), a tram with the horse's legs moving but can't remember the site!

I suppose moving legs is a bit like finding the Holy Grail!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When I find it, again, I will post the video of a man pushing a mine cart on the rails. It's in my "Liked Videos" on Youtube.

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
At risk of reviving a long-dormant thread, here's a German supplier of large-scale tram kits; I was thinking of buying a Gothawagen kit and converting it to an East Berlin Rekowagen, however it would probably result in WWIII breaking out at home, having just bought a lovely used live steam Accucraft Caradoc, and bits and bobs for r/c - maybe I'll make the right noises and send my wife a hint shortly before our wedding anniversary.

Here's the link http://www.ign-ev.de/ShopModellbausaetzeSpurIIm.html

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dave, many thanks for that Link. At those prices I guess that they must be just Body Kits. My German is not up to translating what you get. However at those Prices I still think that Kits are Great Value. If only they did one of these:-
image.jpeg we would not even have to worry about Catenery. Though the Sound Chip might be a bit of a Chalenge. Definately a need for Massoth to Sample one on the HSB.
JonD

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
I have working overhead on my tramway. It seems to survive outside pretty well, despite the local creatures. The wire is 0.7mm copper from some old mains wiring I found in a bin. The poles are hardwood tomato stakes. I am poor and cheap so everything is made from scrap materials as far as possible.

IMG_0267%20Medium_zpsap2cwq8u.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
At risk of reviving a long-dormant thread, here's a German supplier of large-scale tram kits; I was thinking of buying a Gothawagen kit and converting it to an East Berlin Rekowagen, however it would probably result in WWIII breaking out at home, having just bought a lovely used live steam Accucraft Caradoc, and bits and bobs for r/c - maybe I'll make the right noises and send my wife a hint shortly before our wedding anniversary.

Here's the link http://www.ign-ev.de/ShopModellbausaetzeSpurIIm.html

The GT6 does look rather tempting.........

Prices don't appear too bad for what you appear to get, though the USA Trains motor block and sourcing a suitable pantograph or bow collector will add a bit to the final price.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have working overhead on my tramway. It seems to survive outside pretty well, despite the local creatures. The wire is 0.7mm copper from some old mains wiring I found in a bin. The poles are hardwood tomato stakes. I am poor and cheap so everything is made from scrap materials as far as possible.
Rather like your overhead, Wood Poles existed the last Time I visited Switzerland around 6 or so Years ago at of all places Zweissemen. Clearly there is presidence for your use of Wood for reasons of Cost. It is remarkably tricky to get Poles working, you appear to have managed the trick with evidence on your superb Vid. Brill stuff.

I strung up the Wire and Poles on the Ruschbahn. Not a small project with an ever criticle Ruschfuhrer watching my every move! But it was done and worked well. Steel Rods hammered into paving Flags after Groves had been Turned to Wrap Cross Wires. Small Section Nickel Silver Wire for the Cross Wires and Pan Wires. Smaller Copper Wire for the Droppers with Meccanno Bolts as Sliders for the Overhead to move. Painted Beads for Isolators. Tension was kept by Invisible Fence Wire Tensioners (behind the Mountains or Buildings indoors). I wanted to use Tins with Weights but this was rejected. I still think that this would have worked better due to the Wires being in Full Sun all day and getting some flexibility with the non moving Tensioners.

Sadly this has all been demolished now. But a reminder of happier days:-
image.jpeg
The fact that the Wire in places is pretty well invisible shows the attempt to create an image that replicate the Prototype as close as possible.

Yes it was a paint at times for Track Cleaning and Access, but we managed. I was probably a bit more flexible in the Joints then!
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Rather like your overhead, Wood Poles existed the last Time I visited Switzerland around 6 or so Years ago at of all places Zweissemen. Clearly there is presidence for your use of Wood for reasons of Cost. It is remarkably tricky to get Poles working, you appear to have managed the trick with evidence on your superb Vid. Brill stuff.

I strung up the Wire and Poles on the Ruschbahn. Not a small project with an ever criticle Ruschfuhrer watching my every move! But it was done and worked well. Steel Rods hammered into paving Flags after Groves had been Turned to Wrap Cross Wires. Small Section Nickel Silver Wire for the Cross Wires and Pan Wires. Smaller Copper Wire for the Droppers with Meccanno Bolts as Sliders for the Overhead to move. Painted Beads for Isolators. Tension was kept by Invisible Fence Wire Tensioners (behind the Mountains or Buildings indoors). I wanted to use Tins with Weights but this was rejected. I still think that this would have worked better due to the Wires being in Full Sun all day and getting some flexibility with the non moving Tensioners.

Sadly this has all been demolished now. But a reminder of happier days:

The fact that the Wire in places is pretty well invisible shows the attempt to create an image that replicate the Prototype as close as possible.

Yes it was a paint at times for Track Cleaning and Access, but we managed. I was probably a bit more flexible in the Joints then!
JonD

Thanks Jon! That looks stunning, admittedly it was the LGB coupling that first gave it away. I can appreciate the amount of work involved in getting that going. Creative use of materials too!

Wood poles are still common on the Melbourne tram network, though slowly being replaced by steel. Heavy rail electrification in Australia and New Zealand used wood poles too, but by now only Wellington still has a significant number.

IMG_2118crop%20Medium_zpsr3kwigya.jpg

The trolley poles are actually surprisingly forgiving of rough overhead, as long as it doesn't have sharp kinks in it. They tolerate the loose untensioned wire well. Getting the pole to take the right direction at junctions can be a bit fiddly, but they seem to work reliably once it is set up.

IMG_9540crop%20Medium_zpsfxyfvqcj.jpg

IMG_9515%20Medium_zpsadcpc2mj.jpg

I tried to keep all the overhead wire poles on the same side as much as possible for easy access. A tramway with trolley poles is always going to be a fairly hands on type operation, since you have to manually swing the poles around to reverse direction. So far I only have two trams with trolley poles, but all the overhead is designed to be pantograph compatible as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The US electrified lines have been great users of wooden poles, including some of the mainline electrified railways.

The South Shore line through Michigan City is a good example of this still in existence today

13-756.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Gratuitus tram pic for no reason al all

dig 100220010.JPG

David

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Iowa Traction in Mason City - a freight operation - is another one for the student of wooden overhead support poles.......

11-1658.jpg

The locos in use there are Baldwin products dating from around 1920 - and they are still running.........

A long way to go to see them, as Mason City is fairly in the "back of beyond" as far as any other rail interest is concerned!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That Iowa Traction is very interesting. Looked at You Tube and plenty of Vids.

Using Google Earth I then Looked for Mason City Iowa and found the line after a little time. Followed it along the Main Line out of Town via Central Heights to Emery where the Depot Appears to be. Carrying on East before Clear Lake I found a Locy on Street View then found a Circle of Track. On Street View there is a PCC and a Shunter at a Building that looks to be a Museum.
JonD