Stains Straight Smokestack

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Where can I find straight stacks for Stainz locos ? I was never overly thrilled with the balloon stack and would like to make the change.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Dummy, or a smoker?

If the latter, built-in smoke, or separate unit?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Also need to know the age of the Stainz, Dan - the early ones (clamshell gearbox, metal motion) have a long threaded shaft on the stack, the later models (sandwich gearbox, plastic motion) a shorter one.....

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
These are the newer Stainz locos with the plastic motion. It does not need to be a smoker. I've given up on smoking with the exception of one 2017 type loco that I use for when guests want to smoke. Smokes got too expensive to replace too often.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You will definitely need to look for stacks with the shorter shaft then, Dan - avoid the older long type unless you are prepared to cut them down and re-thread the cut end!

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You will definitely need to look for stacks with the shorter shaft then, Dan - avoid the older long type unless you are prepared to cut them down and re-thread the cut end!

Jon.

??
Would that work..
??

Was under the impression they were tapered above the threaded section.. :think:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
??
Would that work..
??

Was under the impression they were tapered above the threaded section.. :think:

Hmmm, you may be right there, Phil - it's been a while since I've had a newer-type Stainz apart.....
Thinking about it further, the newer ones have a square-section plastic section at the base of the stack itself, as I recall, which the older ones don't.
Maybe best to stick with the "correct" stacks for the period of model - but you should still be able to get straight versions, I think?

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Another thought, some folks make straight stacks by simply cutting the large spark arrester away, leaving just the inner pipe - though this does look (to my eyes at least) a little odd, since the stack then tapers gently from the smokebox end but then abruptly goes vertical, because that's the shape of the inner pipe "core" inside the large spark arrester. I have a couple of Stainz conversions that have had their stacks done this way, and I'm not particularly happy with them, though their builders obviously thought it looked OK!

Jon.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember trying to find a straight stack for a newish Stains. I think I eventually modified the loco to take an old long shank stack.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted a straight stack for a newish Stainz too.
I wasn't bothered about it smoking so I picked up one of the old non smoking straight types as fitted to the older Elias steam trams (And probably others too.)
They are an M6 thread and a shank that's shorter than a smoking version. (Both old and modern.)
The stainz I fitted it to is a 20212 (From a starter set.) which had the ballon type funnel with the square section mount.
In order to fit it I did the following;
Sourced a front lamp with the round hole in the bracket from an earlier stainz.
Used a Flat headed M6 cabinet joiner shanked nut to give me the correct length.
Bob's yer uncle.
Looks Ok and nice and secure.
See photos. (Both of these are 20212's.) Green original funnel, black modified.
NB; Any suggestions of a more suitable colour scheme for the plough?

Attachments

• Stainz funnels (1).JPG
    Stainz funnels (1).JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Stainz funnels (2).JPG
    Stainz funnels (2).JPG
    718 KB · Views: 0
  • Stainz funnels (3).JPG
    Stainz funnels (3).JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Stainz funnels (4).jpg
    Stainz funnels (4).jpg