Sound in the Aristo slope back tender

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
16.8v if you *really* must, but do not go higher than that.. Battery packs (especially new ones) can be quite a bit higher than the 'published' figure when new.
Gotcha - thanks

Wouldn't want to do it any harm. The first one is going well in the blue and yellow dismal which, interestingly, is a metal body (nickel silver Worsley Works etched body).

I took a tip from someone else who said that they put the Rx in the corner of a metal cab - presumably the windows may help a bit - and it's fine :clap::clap:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Coming in late in the game. The crude, rude methods used on AC/DC radios to create a "throatier" sound were a simple capacitor across the speaker and/or an inductor in series with the speaker. Always works for me to fine tune sound on "tinny" sounding tenders that are cheap plastic or not sound insulated.

---Hutch

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Coming in late in the game. The crude, rude methods used on AC/DC radios to create a "throatier" sound were a simple capacitor across the speaker and/or an inductor in series with the speaker. Always works for me to fine tune sound on "tinny" sounding tenders that are cheap plastic or not sound insulated.

---Hutch
The problem with Bachmann's Annie sound is that they tried to do too much, and in their desire to add steam hiss, ended up with a sound that dragged on too long, and ran into the next chuff.

George Schreyer's modifications shorten the chuff by replacing one of the capacitors - very effectively. The second mod to add a second capacitor in parallel with another existing one adds a bit of bass.

Finally, if you encapsulate the speaker, you can get quite a reasonable, and louder chuff out of the Annie :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You do know George is/was a rocket scientist, right? Heckuva guy.
I had no idea - I have frequently returned to his documentation on G scale locos, in the 13 years that I have been playing with garden trains.

That probably explains the name of his railroad - the Geologically Improbable Railroad - I took him to be some sort of a scientist :clap::clap:

As for rockets, well, whatever floats yer boat :rofl::rofl:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I met him some time ago, he lived in Los Angeles, he worked for a large aerospace firm, believe he worked on the space shuttle. We made friends and went to one of the local G scale train shows, the big one in Ontario I believe.

I was talking to some guy, and from behind me, George interjected a comment, and very pertinent, and, well, just a damn smart thought. The guy turns around and looks at George and comments to me, who does that guy think he is, a rocket scientist? George said "yup" and informed the guy that George really WAS a rocket scientist! Was pretty funny.

I had the honor of having him over my house and running trains, and my web site was inspired by him and his web site.

Greg

p.s. in the US, being a "rocket scientist" equates to being very smart

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 248873

View attachment 248874

Providing power is a choice down to the individual, use the existing 9V battery supply, or add a 7809 voltage regulator and tap the supply from the RC battery pack, remember a 7809 requires a minimum of 11 volts to function, or add a DC to DC converter and tap the RC battery pack to power the adapter board, less overhead required to operate it.

That's all looking very interesting - it just so happens that I've recently acquired a voltage regulator or two :wasntme:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 248873

View attachment 248874

Providing power is a choice down to the individual, use the existing 9V battery supply, or add a 7809 voltage regulator and tap the supply from the RC battery pack, remember a 7809 requires a minimum of 11 volts to function, or add a DC to DC converter and tap the RC battery pack to power the adapter board, less overhead required to operate it.
John, do you have the circuit diagram for that - I might try to build one :p

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved