Sound in the Aristo slope back tender

• Thread starter Rhinochugger
  • Start date
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
16.8v if you *really* must, but do not go higher than that.. Battery packs (especially new ones) can be quite a bit higher than the 'published' figure when new.
Gotcha - thanks

Wouldn't want to do it any harm. The first one is going well in the blue and yellow dismal which, interestingly, is a metal body (nickel silver Worsley Works etched body).

I took a tip from someone else who said that they put the Rx in the corner of a metal cab - presumably the windows may help a bit - and it's fine :clap::clap:

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Coming in late in the game. The crude, rude methods used on AC/DC radios to create a "throatier" sound were a simple capacitor across the speaker and/or an inductor in series with the speaker. Always works for me to fine tune sound on "tinny" sounding tenders that are cheap plastic or not sound insulated.

---Hutch

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Coming in late in the game. The crude, rude methods used on AC/DC radios to create a "throatier" sound were a simple capacitor across the speaker and/or an inductor in series with the speaker. Always works for me to fine tune sound on "tinny" sounding tenders that are cheap plastic or not sound insulated.

---Hutch
The problem with Bachmann's Annie sound is that they tried to do too much, and in their desire to add steam hiss, ended up with a sound that dragged on too long, and ran into the next chuff.

George Schreyer's modifications shorten the chuff by replacing one of the capacitors - very effectively. The second mod to add a second capacitor in parallel with another existing one adds a bit of bass.

Finally, if you encapsulate the speaker, you can get quite a reasonable, and louder chuff out of the Annie :nod::nod:

Reactions: Hutch
John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Had an Eureka moment, or as my "other half" so delicately phrased it, an "urinal moment".

Refer back to post#13 changed circuit board layout, now only one 9V power source needed to power everything................

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Just spoke to the owner of the two Bachmann Loco's, more less do as I please with them, break them up for parts etc........
Pictures of the tenders being used for testing for this project.

116295_d5368b3cf580a2e4dca0dcfd9244ca7e.png

Soldered the smaller of the two caps in place, does seem to make a difference, will have to order in the other cap plus a 9v voltage regulator, be a few more days before before I can assemble the working prototype for testing, as they say watch this space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhinochugger
John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Other caps arrived earlier, tack soldered in place, see what you mean, or rather hear, what a difference, crisper, louder, and a definite start and end of the sound, George to be applauded for that snippet, me, not being a steam aficionado, found the sound to quite pleasing, guess that'll add a value added figure in £'s to these little sound cards.

Provisional testing indicates the status quo for the circuit has not altered, spot more testing with the Multimeter just to confirm, then it'll be a case of good to go to construct the board up, not today though, "her indoors" has visitors later today, strict instructions that my carp has be out of sight!

Reactions: Rhinochugger
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
You do know George is/was a rocket scientist, right? Heckuva guy.
I had no idea - I have frequently returned to his documentation on G scale locos, in the 13 years that I have been playing with garden trains.

That probably explains the name of his railroad - the Geologically Improbable Railroad - I took him to be some sort of a scientist :clap::clap:

As for rockets, well, whatever floats yer boat :rofl::rofl:

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I met him some time ago, he lived in Los Angeles, he worked for a large aerospace firm, believe he worked on the space shuttle. We made friends and went to one of the local G scale train shows, the big one in Ontario I believe.

I was talking to some guy, and from behind me, George interjected a comment, and very pertinent, and, well, just a damn smart thought. The guy turns around and looks at George and comments to me, who does that guy think he is, a rocket scientist? George said "yup" and informed the guy that George really WAS a rocket scientist! Was pretty funny.

I had the honor of having him over my house and running trains, and my web site was inspired by him and his web site.

Greg

p.s. in the US, being a "rocket scientist" equates to being very smart

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
116859_7374b2c5c314c92f970968f8964f8f92.png

116861_c43b72a891d66e115bee0df8479b2021.png

Providing power is a choice down to the individual, use the existing 9V battery supply, or add a 7809 voltage regulator and tap the supply from the RC battery pack, remember a 7809 requires a minimum of 11 volts to function, or add a DC to DC converter and tap the RC battery pack to power the adapter board, less overhead required to operate it.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
View attachment 248873

View attachment 248874

Providing power is a choice down to the individual, use the existing 9V battery supply, or add a 7809 voltage regulator and tap the supply from the RC battery pack, remember a 7809 requires a minimum of 11 volts to function, or add a DC to DC converter and tap the RC battery pack to power the adapter board, less overhead required to operate it.
That's all looking very interesting - it just so happens that I've recently acquired a voltage regulator or two :wasntme: