Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Nice one Henri

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Henri, you have a modicum of success, and the experts are queuing up to belittle your magnificent leap forward in plantsmanship. Don't let the bu**ers get you down and carry on upholding that fine Dutch tradition of horticultural excellence ;).

It's a good start. Your primulas look a little etiolated - are your ant-rabbit defences taking a little too much of the light? I do like your geraniums. If you Increase the planting density you will barely notice the odd depredation following the occasional incursion by your rabbits.

It's always very satisfying when you bring the garden into the railway.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Aha yes, but you will now have to prune them back from the Tracks now that your little workers have been excluded! Joking aside your Railway is maturing nicely now.
JonD
Thanks Henri you gave me my 1000th Like. A super milestone for me and I am so pleased it came from you.
JonD

Reactions: 2 users

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
In parts of the Netherlands the buxus-moth is killing all buxus. Also in our garden. I've started removing them in my train layout. It is a sad job. Of course it opens opportunities for new plants, but i did like if the way it was...

I could use some mental support as I really feel bad about this...

IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1686.JPG

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A new challenge for your planting skills

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If there's no cure, then you're doing the right thing getting rid of them. It's a shame after all the hard work you put in, but you have to accept it.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Henri, that's very unfortunate, here's a link to the RHS advice page on the box caterpillar:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=760

As stated, it's a difficult problem, and especially so in your case as you have used the box to delineate the different parts of your garden. On the plus side you could see it as a challenge and find an alternative miniature hedging material. Some of the hybrid lavenders might be useful as a stop gap until some fresh inspiration strikes you. That's the beauty of gardening there are more than enough plants available to fill any gap in any garden.

I'm sure you will find a solution and all will be rosy in the garden once more.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Henri just a thought but would Hebe's or Lonicera do the job. Both are pretty clipable, lonicera more so.
JonD

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Not just the plants that are nice.....how about some lower shots bet it looks great

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Really sorry to see the Buxus gone, Henri - it worked so well as a "backscene" hiding the roundy-round track layout.... Hope you can plant something else there which does the job equally well.

Jon.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Frank: I will continue shooting pictures when I have an appropriate background again... I want new plants as soon as possible to forget this small disaster.

Jon: I'm looking for replacement plants that will indeed recreate the 'backscene' to hide the round track. It worked very well!

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Henri are you considering a new name for your tramway yet? Now that you seem to be durably rabbit-free? E.g. Rabbit Free Tramway