Replacement Connie axle gear/axle in stock here in UK

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great news for Connie owners,GRS have replacement axle/gear in stock at the moment,my loco is fine but you never know when the gear may fail and end up with an unusable loco,ordered one today so thought I would pass on to fellow Connie owners,on GRS website under BACHMANN Spares,£24;95;););)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I recall I paid about half that from Bachmann US spares department when they were having one of their Spare Part sales. It was a few years ago though. I've never used it so far, but it is comforting to know I have one in the bits box just in case :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought the North West Short Line all brass and phosphor bronze version a few years back. It's even quieter than the original was, and soooooooooooooooo smoooooooth.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Great news for Connie owners,GRS have replacement axle/gear in stock at the moment,my loco is fine but you never know when the gear may fail and end up with an unusable loco,ordered one today so thought I would pass on to fellow Connie owners,on GRS website under BACHMANN Spares,£24;95;););)

Did you try Bachmann Europe, at Barwell, Leicestershire?

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Did you try Bachmann Europe, at Barwell, Leicestershire?
No,just looking around GRS site,saw them and ordered one,but maybe Bachmann have some also,may be worth a try for someone.I wasn`t looking for anything in particular just browsing and came across it.;)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I was "lucky" and got my replacement from Bachmann UK a few years ago. It's the one with a brass gear fitted instead of plastic - probably as response to this well documented issue. Is the GRS one of that type or have they just found somebody else's old stock of spares ? Strangely the Bachmann Spectrum Centennial 2-6-0's replacement gear(s) I bought from Bachmann US about 4-5 years ago are of the original plastic type - So I bought 2 gear/axle sets, just in case. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've had mixed results from Bachmann here in UK. In H0 scale, they totally bogged up an order for 32 sets of insulated wheels for my Rheingold passenger consist, sending me un-insulated items instead. And then, after advising me that they had no replacement gear sets in UK, and about six months after I got them from NWSL, they turned up out of the blue....v. odd.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann Europe didn't keep much in the way of large scale spares - I got the impression that they dismantled warranty returns, and if you struck lucky .................. that's how I got a K27 tender shell.

However, I bought 2 Connie drive axles with brass gears from Bachmann e-store in the US. Can't remember the cost but whatever, it's well worth doing for the peace of mind. The Connie, once sorted, is a cracking performer :clap: :clap:

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
I need to get one for my 280. Shall have to work out price difference with shipping etc .. ponder

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I need to get one for my 280. Shall have to work out price difference with shipping etc .. ponder

From the US including shipping, vat, vat collection fee and exchange commision the $11.00 part could cost up to £45.00

I've just ordered one from Bachmann Europe in Barwell for £13.00 including postage within mainland U.K.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I looked into shipping, and the cheapest I can get to is about $23 and that is without exchange fees, vat, etc.

Boy is it difficult!

I wonder if I could hide some springs in an envelope? Probably get caught.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was offered a foresight blade for one of my Mausers from a company in the East coast - about the size of your pinkie nail, with 'international shipping' at $25.95. The foresight blade was $5.95.....

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
From the US including shipping, vat, vat collection fee and exchange commision the $11.00 part could cost up to £45.00

I've just ordered one from Bachmann Europe in Barwell for £13.00 including postage within mainland U.K.
That`s a good deal,grs double the price but just saw it on the site so ordered one,if I had actually been looking for one I probably would have checked out Bachmann first,impulse buy but at least I have a spare,I must check with Bachmann to try and locate a plow for my K27,thanks for the memory jog;););)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
At least the GRS one is the "upgraded" one with a brass gear. On Bachmann's US site it is listed at $11 US. But you have to get it posted over here. When I bought mine about 6 years ago it was around £8 from the UK distributor. As they say somthing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. An expression that GRS are skilled at testing to the limit :D Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
At the time I bought mine, the supply on Bachmann e-store in the US was a bit up and down - I just seized the opportunity and took the two I thought I might need; I think they cost me just around £45.

A week or two after they arrived, I decided to plan a grand opening of the new line with a charity open day, so I quickly installed both axles as it would have been embarrassing to have a failure on an opening day :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
For the record the axIe I ordered on Monday arrived safely this morning. :)
No rush as I won't be able to get my hands on the loco until December at the earliest.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The brass connie gear on axle from Bachmann is the way to go. They used to be US$10. I'm not sure if they still have them or what price they are now.
I bought 2 replacement plastic gears on axle from Bachmann spare parts for the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0. One already had it's gear cracked when I received it. They are rubbish. :(
I now have a good supply of delrin gears which I bought from NWSL (North West Short Line) before they closed business.
Apparently NWSL will start operations again. The business being bought by one of it's workers (new website still not active).
Careful with the tooth count with the 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 gears. All documentation and how to do it threads state so many teeth but their very own images have a different count. Count your gear teeth and order that specifically.
Even NWSL part description seems incorrect and/or ambiguous, or perhaps it is another Mandela Effect of an alternative reality... :D

Last edited:

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Spoke to Bachmann Europe and have ordered an Axel and Gear for £12 including postage which I was was good going :)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Spoke to Bachmann Europe and have ordered an Axel and Gear for £12 including postage which I was was good going :)

Bachmann Europe have them for less than half the price of GRS. That would be right. Ha ha!
I haven't given GRS any money since they tried to demand a 20% deposit including VAT which I don't need to pay for the K1 off me 3 years before it was available via an option A, B or C letter much the same as I get when failing to vote. Bad maneuver GRS. I vote with my wallet. :giggle: