Bachmann Ten Wheeler - Refurb Project

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've been away from the forum for a while - busy at work and other life things...

However, I was working quite close to Princes Risborough last week so decided to take a trip to GRS - just for a look around - and came back with this...

IMG_8028.jpeg

I'm really a British outline modeller, but it caught my eye because it was marked as not working with a very tempting £40 price tag! I do love a bargain and a project, and really liked the look of the chassis - great looking metal side rods, etc., so I couldn't resist. There didn't 'look' much wrong with it functionally and as I suspected on opening it up I found some RC gear inside (I'm selling those bit on eBay so expect to recoup a bit of the investment!). The motor turned nicely when given a bit of power, so I have removed the RC gear, put a DCC decoder in it and it now runs very nicely indeed!

I went with a reasonably priced Zimo MX635 decoder - really an 0 gauge decoder, but it has a decent current rating (1.8A continuous). I'm fairly convinced that my locos rarely draw more than 1A - trains are quite short on my line and top speed is very limited. In any case my 4 year old tested it for me at maximum speed with a couple of coaches and it ran very well. I've now limited the top speed to something more sensible for my line!

I think what I've got is an old Bachmann Ten Wheeler body - sanding the tender revels Atchison Topeka Santa Fe on green, red cab roof, number 7. It has been sprayed black and had most of the detail parts removed. The tender has been fitted with metal wheels in brass bearings (which needed an evening of fettling, but now run nicely).
I'm pretty sure the loco chassis is a newer replacement in excellent condition - missing only the cowcatcher and bars to the smokebox I think - in any case this is in great condition and happily runs really well.

I had thought that I would extract the chassis and ditch the body, but quite quickly became attached to the whole thing - so instead I'm going to attempt a bit of a restoration. In order for it to feel at home on my railway I will imagine that my narrow gauge railway company has imported this large tender engine from the Baldwin in the US (much like the Lyn on the L&B). I'm going to sand it down, repaint to look a bit more British and detail it. My wife and son have decided on red for the loco, so red it shall be!

I have added a brass cow catcher - also bought from GRS - and begun sanding down the body.

IMG_8035.jpeg

I wonder if any members in the UK have any spare parts which I am missing, and would be prepared to let go of, for a reasonable fee - a loco bell (the newer Spectrum type), a light (missing from the tender), the two side air tanks, the two side running boards? I do have a plan to remake most of those, but thought it was worth checking! I know the parts are available on the US spares website, but the shipping cost is quite high, so I probably won't go that way. I could also try Bachmann UK. Trying here first, just in case.

Anyway - this is the start of the project - I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Reactions: 1 user

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
I've been away from the forum for a while - busy at work and other life things...

However, I was working quite close to Princes Risborough last week so decided to take a trip to GRS - just for a look around - and came back with this...

View attachment 295597

I'm really a British outline modeller, but it caught my eye because it was marked as not working with a very tempting £40 price tag! I do love a bargain and a project, and really liked the look of the chassis - great looking metal side rods, etc., so I couldn't resist. There didn't 'look' much wrong with it functionally and as I suspected on opening it up I found some RC gear inside (I'm selling those bit on eBay so expect to recoup a bit of the investment!). The motor turned nicely when given a bit of power, so I have removed the RC gear, put a DCC decoder in it and it now runs very nicely indeed!

I went with a reasonably priced Zimo MX635 decoder - really an 0 gauge decoder, but it has a decent current rating (1.8A continuous). I'm fairly convinced that my locos rarely draw more than 1A - trains are quite short on my line and top speed is very limited. In any case my 4 year old tested it for me at maximum speed with a couple of coaches and it ran very well. I've now limited the top speed to something more sensible for my line!

I think what I've got is an old Bachmann Ten Wheeler body - sanding the tender revels Atchison Topeka Santa Fe on green, red cab roof, number 7. It has been sprayed black and had most of the detail parts removed. The tender has been fitted with metal wheels in brass bearings (which needed an evening of fettling, but now run nicely).
I'm pretty sure the loco chassis is a newer replacement in excellent condition - missing only the cowcatcher and bars to the smokebox I think - in any case this is in great condition and happily runs really well.

I had thought that I would extract the chassis and ditch the body, but quite quickly became attached to the whole thing - so instead I'm going to attempt a bit of a restoration. In order for it to feel at home on my railway I will imagine that my narrow gauge railway company has imported this large tender engine from the Baldwin in the US (much like the Lyn on the L&B). I'm going to sand it down, repaint to look a bit more British and detail it. My wife and son have decided on red for the loco, so red it shall be!

I have added a brass cow catcher - also bought from GRS - and begun sanding down the body.

View attachment 295598

I wonder if any members in the UK have any spare parts which I am missing, and would be prepared to let go of, for a reasonable fee - a loco bell (the newer Spectrum type), a light (missing from the tender), the two side air tanks, the two side running boards? I do have a plan to remake most of those, but thought it was worth checking! I know the parts are available on the US spares website, but the shipping cost is quite high, so I probably won't go that way. I could also try Bachmann UK. Trying here first, just in case.

Anyway - this is the start of the project - I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
I might have some of the bits you are seeking.
If you are feeling brave you could dispense with the body and perhaps most of the tender snd build something British
07E18662-C176-42CC-8A41-951FEEFBE630.jpeg5E74B0E2-C7A4-46A7-AA58-FB41949CE87B.jpeg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 295597

View attachment 295598

I can probably send you the running boards and air tanks (free), if you don't care about the colours! Message me your address and I'll post them to you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'd keep this quiet if I were you, otherwise next time you go there, they'll expect extra payment

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all, thank you for the kind offers! PMs shall be sent out shortly.

Paul - I know, I do think I bagged a bargain - though probably only to someone prepared to put in some work!

Flying15 - I love your British builds - absolutely fantastic and right up my street! I’ve built a Castle, Pannier and Railcar on donor chassis previously, so was thinking about something like this, but I quite like the shape of the ten wheeler so fancy the idea of a revamp on this one. Also my four year old is quite taken with it - he intends to let me help him repaint it - could be interesting!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Let him have a go, and heap praise on him! :nod:

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Let him have a go, and heap praise on him! :nod:
I will have to - he’s getting quite excited about painting the train!

I’ve got a feeling he wouldn’t enjoy sanding it down first quite so much though…

Will go for heavy supervision with the primer rattle can and see how we go!!

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Martyn (ViaEstrecha) I have now got some running boards and air tanks on the loco which are looking great, as well as the vacuum pump which will just need a little adjust meant to make it fit - I think my loco body is an early one which would have had a plastic vacuum pump - the one I now have is metal and fixes slightly differently.

Another member has just found a bell and light. I am very grateful for the generosity of members on GSC!

I have started sanding down the body - just figuring out how far I need to go. The smoke box door and light have been removed for painting, but I couldn't resist putting the loco back together with the new parts to see how it will look!

IMG_8039.jpegIMG_8040.jpeg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Martyn (ViaEstrecha) I have now got some running boards and air tanks on the loco which are looking great, as well as the vacuum pump which will just need a little adjust meant to make it fit - I think my loco body is an early one which would have had a plastic vacuum pump - the one I now have is metal and fixes slightly differently.

Another member has just found a bell and light. I am very grateful for the generosity of members on GSC!

I have started sanding down the body - just figuring out how far I need to go. The smoke box door and light have been removed for painting, but I couldn't resist putting the loco back together with the new parts to see how it will look!

View attachment 295702View attachment 295703
When I carried out my refurb of a 10-wheeler with that valve gear the "crosshead"? caught on the underside of the tanks, the forward strapping which need a little modification, here is my blog on it:

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
When I carried out my refurb of a 10-wheeler with that valve gear the "crosshead"? caught on the underside of the tanks, the forward strapping which need a little modification, here is my blog on it:
Thanks for this Jimmy. I think I am not having the same issue - I haven't put it on the track yet as it's a bit wet here today, however I think the air tanks I have been kindly sent by Martyn are from a newer model than my body - perhaps the same era as my chassis and so fit with the chassis without modification. I have very little knowledge on these, but have looked at Greg's page on them and googled around a bit: I think what I have is the same body shell that you have - a very early one, possibly the battery RC; and a much later chassis. The air tanks look different to the ones you have which my body would have come with - they are more finely detailed.

IMG_8041.jpeg
IMG_8042.jpeg
All that said, thank you for the link to your blog which is really helpful. Did you use the original hand rail posts and just replace the rail itself with brass? I'm looking at doing something similar, but don't have the posts to start with, so am going to try some brass split pins which I have - it looks like this will work and give me a nice brass handrail.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Did you use the original hand rail posts and just replace the rail itself with brass? I'm looking at doing something similar, but don't have the posts to start with, so am going to try some brass split pins which I have - it looks like this will work and give me a nice brass handrail.
I used Momod (brass) handrail knobs from Dream Steam.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this Jimmy. I think I am not having the same issue - I haven't put it on the track yet as it's a bit wet here today, however I think the air tanks I have been kindly sent by Martyn are from a newer model than my body - perhaps the same era as my chassis and so fit with the chassis without modification. I have very little knowledge on these, but have looked at Greg's page on them and googled around a bit: I think what I have is the same body shell that you have - a very early one, possibly the battery RC; and a much later chassis. The air tanks look different to the ones you have which my body would have come with - they are more finely detailed.
I think the donor loco was 4th generation.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Some progress has been made!

The respray is well under way. Here are (most of) the parts...
IMG_8056.jpeg
And I couldn't resist a loose fit to see how it's taking shape.
IMG_8060.jpeg
I've also added a little more weight over the driving wheels - I understand a weight would originally have been here. When I test ran it I didn't see any problems with traction, but I'm generally in favour of additional weight with balance over the centre of the drivers. The support has also given a good place to fit the decoder.
IMG_8058.jpeg
For now I will continue to paint and spray the parts and will report back as I progress.

Thanks to Flying15 I now have a bell and a light for the tender! Just waiting for some bi-colour LEDs for the lights - I'm quite sure that these big headlights lights being red wouldn't be prototypical, but I really like having the light colour change from warm white to red with direction so I am applying Rule 8 - actually as ever Rule 8 will be applied liberally!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've also added a little more weight over the driving wheels - I understand a weight would originally have been here. When I test ran it I didn't see any problems with traction, but I'm generally in favour of additional weight with balance over the centre of the drivers. The support has also given a good place to fit the decoder.
A word of caution, some Bachmann locos, I forget if they are 10 wheelers or Connies, tend to strip a plastic drive gear. Brass replacements were available from Bachmann service but I don't know the current situation. I suggest keeping an eye on the gear if it's plastic, especially with the added weight.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A word of caution, some Bachmann locos, I forget if they are 10 wheelers or Connies, tend to strip a plastic drive gear. Brass replacements were available from Bachmann service but I don't know the current situation. I suggest keeping an eye on the gear if it's plastic, especially with the added weight.
Thank you Neil. The main gear is plastic - it looks ok at present and is currently running fine, but I will keep an eye on it as you suggest. At least it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to replace if necessary.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
More progress. I've reassembled the loco which is now mostly repainted.

Still to do are the lights (awaiting some bi-colour LEDs), finish the handrails (I ran out of of handrail knobs - it's surprising how many it takes!), maybe some more pipes and as my boy pointed out - a wire from the bell to the cab! I will probably add a number on the side of the cab and the tender - just waiting to see if we come up with a name for it.

However, for now it's added to the roster of locomotives on the railway.
IMG_8061.jpeg
IMG_8062.jpeg
IMG_8064.jpeg
IMG_8065.jpeg
IMG_8067.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely colour
Thanks Paul, it is Halfords Vauxhall Burgundy Red on top of red primer. Something like LMS red is what I was going for - just a colour I happen to like and we don't have any red locos!

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
One thing I do find quite puzzling is the gap between the tender and the loco - both the distance between the two and the height difference are pretty enormous. I might be tempted to look at that some time.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
One thing I do find quite puzzling is the gap between the tender and the loco - both the distance between the two and the height difference are pretty enormous. I might be tempted to look at that some time.
I did notice that with mine, I will be doing a bit more work and look to add some checker plate.