Orient Express Rolling Stock

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Resort to stealth mode. Hide box, it's not required to run the train. Mix coaches with existing coaches (the ones you are repainting). Run loco with some freight wagons for a few weeks until it is safe to run a train. When all the coaches are repainted you can run a complete train.

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Resort to stealth mode. Hide box, it's not required to run the train. Mix coaches with existing coaches (the ones you are repainting). Run loco with some freight wagons for a few weeks until it is safe to run a train. When all the coaches are repainted you can run a complete train.
Good idea. Will report back - injuries permitting!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mike,

You are more than welcome to borrow my Orient set. - Short of space here, and not got any track down..
Can't see me needing it until (at least) G-Rail next year.

PhilP.
PS> Do you still have those Gnomy items dark-holed for me somewhere?

;););););)

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Mike,

You are more than welcome to borrow my Orient set. - Short of space here, and not got any track down..
Can't see me needing it until (at least) G-Rail next year.

PhilP.
PS> Do you still have those Gnomy items dark-holed for me somewhere?

;););););)
Thanks for the offer Phil. I can tell the boss I'm running it in for you. Yes, I've still got the bits and the figures. Don't know if you make it down this way for the East Anglia Garden Railway show at Bressingham. I've got a sales stand booked to get rid of some of my surplus items. I've only got an estate so might have to be selective unless I can persuade my son to 'help' in which case we can fill his car too!!!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I will have a look how the dates align.. - Don't seem to get many weekend days for 'myself' these days..

I know all about filling cars! We had a third 'volunteer' this year for G-Rail, so we filled three cars, despite saying we weren't going to take as much!! :rolleyes:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Boss out, sun out. Time for a quick play,......err testing session.IMG_20160607_094208_1465290685451_1.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
LOOK OUT

she is coming back!!:giggle:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks well worth the risk in buying it! You should die a happy man when she finds out.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_20161114_200111_1479153823517_3.JPG IMG_20161114_200143_1479153822122_1.JPG IMG_20161114_200240_1479153822684_2.JPG I've been following Gordon's (Nodrog1826) thread 1/24th scale accessories and his kitting out of the Gourmino restaurant car. He kindly sent me his surplus bits which arrived today and I couldn't resist putting them into service. With so much extra fod and drink available it only seemed fitting to invite more diners so a quick search of the famous box of bits in the garage produced a number of eager participants. The opportunity was also taken to replace three rather oversize passengers. What's in there now consists of a mixture of Chinese 1/24 imports, Preiser, smaller LGB and Dickie people. Hercules Poirot has been joined by a companion (not sure if it's Hastings or Inspector Japp) and he is deep in conversation with the Chef de Train. The dress code amongst the other travellers has not improved. Just after I cropped the photos ready for insertion I noticed Michael Portillo striding purposefully down the gangway in his trademark pink shirt but not a Bradshaw's in sight. Thanks again Gordon for your assistance in revamping my Restaurant Car.

Reactions: 4 users

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Had another finger-slipping episode on fleabay last week. Consequently I now have a new project in the offing. Bought one of these:

s-l1600.jpg

which I intend transforming into my interpretation of one of these:
images (38).jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I really like the idea, Mike - but I'm worried..............

..........if your Orient Express train gets much longer, it'll be touching its tail as it runs around the track :devil::devil:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I really like the idea, Mike - but I'm worried..............

..........if your Orient Express train gets much longer, it'll be touching its tail as it runs around the track :devil::devil:
Looks like it's not finished yet. Managed to pick up half of a 39680 set to replace or supplement the one I converted. Or perhaps I can now have two rakes - one for the Mikado and one for the Mallet.P1040693.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Had another finger-slipping episode on fleabay last week. Consequently I now have a new project in the offing. Bought one of these:

View attachment 220676

which I intend transforming into my interpretation of one of these:
View attachment 220675
I think something like the Diner in this might be more appropriate for your Mallet, middle car in this one. Different design of car, but match your 2 LGB Mallett blue cars rather than Orient Express. This is from the Montreux line in Switzerland. A super Railway.
image.jpeg
JonD

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I think something like the Diner in this might be more appropriate for your Mallet, middle car in this one. Different design of car, but match your 2 LGB Mallett blue cars rather than Orient Express. This is from the Montreux line in Switzerland. A super Railway.
JonD
Not been to Switzerland since the early sixties when most stuff seemed to be a drab green or dullish red. As I have already produced my own version of a restaurant car I fancied something a little different. I've actually got two Golden Mountain vehicles to get rid of as they don't hold the same appeal for me Jon. I'm full of ideas for things to do. A rake of clerestoried sleepers constructed from extended Bachmann Jackson Sharps, a four container flat with central fourgon and a working cinema coach are on the 'potential' list. Trouble is I haven't finished the double pacific Garrett or the rail mounted gun yet.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So, it begs the question, how many Orient Express trains is enough ?? :D:D:D:D:D:devil::devil:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
So, it begs the question, how many Orient Express trains is enough ?? :D:D:D:D:D:devil::devil:
I've always been told you can't get too much of a good thing. If SWMBO ever finds out I have more than 160 locos I'll quote that little gem in my defence Ian. Anyway my understanding is that most railways have at least two tracks - one there and one back so there must be at least one in each direction. My A level maths from the 1960s comes in handy here - makes a minimum of two!

Mike.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Found this lurking in the garage when sorting stock to sell last weekend. I've still got three cans of Konigsblau left. I wonder....................P1040871a.jpg

ES64 U4 009 perhaps?

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
P1040871a (2).jpg P1040933.JPG P1040932.JPG P1040934.JPG P1040935.JPG P1040939.JPG P1040871a (2).jpg P1040933.JPG P1040932.JPG P1040934.JPG P1040935.JPG P1040939.JPG P1040942.JPG
I may have to start a new thread. Out came the screwdriver, swiftly followed by the wet & dry. Been busy this afternoon with the rattle can.

Last edited: