Orient Express Rolling Stock

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just for you Gizzy, but not the full train as your message earlier today caused me to open my wallet yet again....
That looks fabulous Mike!

Pity I can't watch the video here in the orifice....

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Another one done. Latest conversion/rebuild hit the rails a few minutes ago. This should go well with the coach I purchased from Chalk Garden Rail a couple of days ago after Gizzy posted a link. This one was a green and cream Rhb version until the rattle can made an appearance, assisted by a pair of replacement sides from eBay.de. Before and afters below.IMG_20160423_175815.JPG IMG_20160423_175716.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Latest three vehicles now deemed fit for service. Just 3099 (all blue salon Pullman) awaiting arrival of donor parts. That will give 12 to choose from - 4 x 31655, 2 x 31658, 3097, 3098, 3099, pullman restaurant car, bogie baggage car and a 4 wheel Alpine Express luggage van. The Golden Mountain Express coach has been declared 'surplus to requirements' due to it's livery mis-match and I don't have the heart to spoil it. Will be joining the disposal list shortly.IMG_20160503_104322.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I had thought this thread was almost concluded but I obviously thought wrong. I've been working 12 hour shifts over the last four weks with few days off. Sleep deprivation has led to a somewhat fuddled mental state, which coupled with a wobbly finger culminated in an extremely rash 'buy it now' on German eBay last night. Consequently a large BLUE red box (if you know what I mean) is winging it's way from Eggersdorf. I should really have given this more thought before taking the plunge as I have nowhere to hide a parcel of this size and we will not be able to afford to eat for the next couple of months. Sensible suggestions on how to get out of this one would be much appreciated.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have a valid passport? :nerd:
Yes, and enoTescol vouchers to book on the Shuttle. I could fill the estate car with enough of my surplus track to keep me going but it would only be possible if I could empty the bank account first. Unfortunately I did that a couple of nights ago. The technical term for my current situation is bu##erred.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You could plea the 5th. As in "what's in that big parcel?" "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it could incriminate me"

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
The last time I looked the United Kingdom ( :D ) didn't have a 5th amendment.
Anyway, they know, you know. SWMBO's probably run MI5 :eek: , she certainly does in this house.
Having said that I did find a trick but it only works once (although you can stretch it a bit as I did), I collect 1:18 British sports and racing cars among which are a few that were, ahem, not cheap. Her Nibs moaned and often pointed out that her first car was a Citröen 2CV, one evening whilst trolling Ebay I came upon a few, nipped into the the living room and casually asked what colour her old piece of sh, sorry, history was. Orange. Back to Ebay and I won one from a nice bloke in England. Big box turns up and as usual SWMBO gives me the look until I hand her the box and say "It's for you". Humph. She opens the box and it's true love all over again, but - and this is the big but - my collection is confined to shelves in the spare room/office but the 2CV has pride of place on the sideboard in the dining room. Instant zillion plus points.
It can be done :happy:

Last edited:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Whatever you've bought don't forget to show us pictures :)

Just probably best to wait for swmbo to calm down before you open the box

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Another raffle prize - lucky you!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_20160603_204323_1464983089844_1.JPG IMG_20160603_204403_1464983104227_1.JPG
Whatever you've bought don't forget to show us pictures :)

Just probably best to wait for swmbo to calm down before you open the box
Only too happy to oblige with photos. The parcel finally arrived this afternoon. Strange how DHL can ship half way across Germany and get it on a flight to UK in 3 days but once it's passed into Parcel Farce territory it spends 11 days hiding and denying any connection to the tracking number allocated. Anyway you will have to be content with an outside view as I need to find a safe time to open this. With any luck SWMBO will go shopping on Monday. It's currently concealed in a suitable place awaiting inspection.

Last edited:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Well here it is. The boss had to pop in to town to pick up a few things for her mother so I couldn't resist a quick peek to check all was as it should be. Hope to get a chance to run it in the next couple of days. Loco has been fitted with decoder so all functions are working, I am assured. Couldn't fault service or packing from Modellbahnshop Strausberg and would certainly use again.IMG_20160605_122252_1465125815031_2.JPG IMG_20160605_121438_1465125814346_1.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If discovered, that looks very much like a hanging offence.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
If discovered, that looks very much like a hanging offence.
Yup,'fraid so. I can always try "I've had that for ages". The set is used - but not much, looking at the wheels. The box is shelfworn but I didn't buy it just to look at, it's got to earn it's keep. Plus the price was less than half what Grotspoor are currently asking for a pristine example.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Yup,'fraid so. I can always try "I've had that for ages". The set is used - but not much, looking at the wheels. The box is shelfworn but I didn't buy it just to look at, it's got to earn it's keep. Plus the price was less than half what Grotspoor are currently asking for a pristine example.

Well, those reasons convince me, but maybe not everyone.

Maybe, you're just looking after it for someone.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I confirm my first suggestion - you are insane to try and sneak that indoors :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But hey, in for a penny.....................

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
You could always say you have borrowed it

Cracking thread BTW