Status
Not open for further replies.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
David, why not post the link to that? Some folks might like to follow suit.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
David, why not post the link to that? Some folks might like to follow suit.

My wife actually found it on her I-pad while we were trying to resolve a different problem, however if you just go to YouTube and put in 'how to turn off windows 10 apps' or similar, there are literally dozens of video clips showing you how to do it. I could not immediately find the one I watched but it was an American 'expert' on the subject.

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ah... found it.

David

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I like the way Microsoft still call them security settings, as though they are looking after you and will tuck you into bed when you switch the computer off.

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Best answers
I guess this is what you get for being given something for 'free'. Nothing is ever really free, there is always a price even if it isn't monetary.
All so called 'free' downloads for any device will have a cost, in that they are monitoring you and targeting you for advertising at the very least, and in Microsofts case probably more than that.
Has any one found out how to make the start menu completely free of some of the app shortcuts that seem to be fixed there even after doing a thorough clean out? I'd like a Win XP/7 style menu with only what I want on it and a lot more compact.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I guess this is what you get for being given something for 'free'. Nothing is ever really free, there is always a price even if it isn't monetary.
All so called 'free' downloads for any device will have a cost, in that they are monitoring you and targeting you for advertising at the very least, and in Microsofts case probably more than that.
Has any one found out how to make the start menu completely free of some of the app shortcuts that seem to be fixed there even after doing a thorough clean out? I'd like a Win XP/7 style menu with only what I want on it and a lot more compact.

Dave

I refer you to post #88 above. There would appear to be instructions on how to remove / customise just about anything.

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

No, I did mean #88. If you search YouTube for 'how to turn off windows 10 apps' it brings up dozens of clips about how to turn off just about anything to do with Windows 10, more than just the clip in #89.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, starting into this thread a bit late because the new compooter arrived with Whineders 10 on it and has caused a serious 'Oh s***t' moment.

I can't even find the internet, and I'm not sure that I want to get to know this Cortana bird.

Fortunately I have a bit of time on my hands as the old beast is still going, and the new monitor won't get her 'til next week, and I won't be able to pick up my special deal on Microsoft office until Tuesday.

However

HELP

For starters, how do I find the internet and then get Google Chrome?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
David, now I understand, you were recommending searching.... by the way there is a lot of BAD information out there also, especially by those people who proclaim themselves experts, or are really intent on "deleting" things... rather than just not having the processes start.

A word of advice: look for solutions where the author also indicated how to reverse the changes, "fixes" that just have you deleting files are usually not good recommendations.

Rhino: look for the blue E which is Microsoft Edge... in the address space put in google.com .... now in the upper right, the 3 horizontal dots are a menu, click there, and in the menu that opens, you can see "Open with internet explorer".... this should put you in familiar territory... putting "chrome.com" in the address bar will take you to a page to download and install Chrome...

Regards, Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
David, now I understand, you were recommending searching.... by the way there is a lot of BAD information out there also, especially by those people who proclaim themselves experts, or are really intent on "deleting" things... rather than just not having the processes start.

A word of advice: look for solutions where the author also indicated how to reverse the changes, "fixes" that just have you deleting files are usually not good recommendations.

Rhino: look for the blue E which is Microsoft Edge... in the address space put in google.com .... now in the upper right, the 3 horizontal dots are a menu, click there, and in the menu that opens, you can see "Open with internet explorer".... this should put you in familiar territory... putting "chrome.com" in the address bar will take you to a page to download and install Chrome...

Regards, Greg

Safely steered into shallower water - cheers :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Beware the "updates" mine just installed an update and turned off the monitor attached to my laptop. It reset my lappie to turn off the video when the lid was closed. Wish they would stop tinkering with my settings.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Long been my complaint with these geeks. It's mine, not theirs to mess with! (Rant now mode off)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Have managed to get Google's Chrome as default browser - it's just that I hate MSN. When I want to surf the net, I do not wish to have all sorts of junk, news, weather etc flashing in front of me. When I want news, I'll go to a news website, and when I want the weather, I'll go to a weather website. Call me old fashioned......................

Apparently Winders 10 and office 365 can still have difficulties with Microsoft Outlook. The very nice man at the Utility Warehouse directed me to another email programme on the new 'pooter, and all is sweetness and light :nod::nod:

The other problem with PC World's Knowhowcloud is, I think, that it is set up to automatically ask for a password change when you add a new device. I don't think the dear sweet darlings on their helpdesk have had that bit adequately explained. Anyway, that's now working as well. My life is now somewhere on someone's cloud, or if it's run by Google, it's on the seabed somewhere :D:D:D

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
I've noticed the past few days that some of the Windows10-related updates have yet again 'floated back into the bowl'; KB3035583 and all his nasty mates who want to invade my trusty Win7 install and subvert it; KB3035583 has been hidden so many times and usually monthly reappears - really frustrating.

Here's a question and I hope that someone here can answer me (Greg maybe, if we are still talking, despite our differences of opinion re W10.....) and that is why MS keep trying to insinuate this 'Free Upgrade' onto my system, despite having repeatedly hidden the relevant updates?

Even worse, on a computer that had been 'tenned' and reverted, the suspect KB's pop back up like bad pennies......You would have thought that after a 'rollback' the idiots would get the message; but no!

If Windows 10 is that damned good, why do they have to use underhand/bullying tactics?

It's starting to feel like a war of attrition now.................

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps because once they've got (almost) everyone onto it they will start charging for it by the year. Why else 'Office 365' ? The only 365 I know is the days in a normal year. Oh but it'll be Ok, they'll give you the 366th day every four years FREE!

Cynic? Who ME??? You must be &%$£ing joking!

It's a one way street, mate. ALL their way!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Post deleted due to duplication.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've noticed the past few days that some of the Windows10-related updates have yet again 'floated back into the bowl'; KB3035583 and all his nasty mates who want to invade my trusty Win7 install and subvert it; KB3035583 has been hidden so many times and usually monthly reappears - really frustrating.

Here's a question and I hope that someone here can answer me (Greg maybe, if we are still talking, despite our differences of opinion re W10.....) and that is why MS keep trying to insinuate this 'Free Upgrade' onto my system, despite having repeatedly hidden the relevant updates?

Even worse, on a computer that had been 'tenned' and reverted, the suspect KB's pop back up like bad pennies......You would have thought that after a 'rollback' the idiots would get the message; but no!

If Windows 10 is that damned good, why do they have to use underhand/bullying tactics?

It's starting to feel like a war of attrition now.................

For me, there is too much hidden stuff and processes going off in the background. Everything (these days) seems to want to take control away from the user. And being an absolute dunce in this particular field, I just have to accept it with increasing frustration.

Toolbars are so complex, options bewildering, and how to find things drives one to distraction. Apart from abstracting the Michael, it's all about that other M word - Mammon!

Status
Not open for further replies.