Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Trabant Dave, I think you have the answer in your last statement. "My wife has a MAc book", that's why MS are so keen to keep you, so many people are changing over to the Apple system, MS have tried to make their system more friendly. I mainly use an I-pad and when my laptop was recently upgraded to Win 10, the first thing I did was to 'poke' the screen which did nothing!
Being a 'die hard' XP man, I must admit to finding 10 quite good, a challenge, never the less, trying to get things to work but getting there. With XP you seemed to to have to go through several windows to achieve a new set up where as 10 seems to do it automatically??? I am a person who does not like change but am beginning to find my way around 10 and I'm sure in a while I will wonder what all the fuss was about!
Dave

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
So the Pod people caught you then Tanker man.....

sutherland.jpg

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
hi all
If you are a CAD user its best to stay away from windows 10 as of today this is the message from Autodesk who supply high end CAD programs

"Windows 10 is not yet an officially supported operating system across the Autodesk product line. Autodesk intends to support many of our key products on Windows 10 and will add products to the list of products supported on Windows 10 as updates and future versions are released."

To install an Autodesk product even the latest release 2016 you have to uninstall the NET.4.6 application and reinstall after installing your autodesk product which apparently works.
hope this helps
Alan

This one caught my eye. Didn't know about any compatibility issues with Autodesk before I upgraded to Windows 10 (straight from 7), if I had it might have slowed me down. However at the same time though I had to update my student license, so I installed the Autodesk 2016 package at the same time (upgraded from 2013). Can confirm that it has run happily for me ever since I upgraded around September. Solidworks 2013 too if anyone was concerned.

Regarding the rest of Windows 10, I find that it's not much more different from 7. Differences being the icon designs and layout now match my Windows phone. The start menu has changed, including the live feed tiles (also like my Windows phone) but everything that was there before is still in the menus.

Have to admit what I like most is the OneDrive (Microsoft's cloud storage) integration. It is possible and simple to get these feature on earlier versions but it feels nice and polished using a system that was created with that in mind from the begging. Lots of very useful features to be gained by a uni student.

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
Thanks for the heads-up on this; for me there's just so many reasons to question the wisdom of updating to W10 - the most recent for me is that games using SafeDisc and SecuROM will no longer be playable under W10..... One suggested solution? "Repurchase the games digitally" ....... HaHaHa! Hell will freeze over first! So; its like this - buy a game, M$ break it, and then buy it again because M$ say so? Don't make me laugh......... Win 7 never broke anything, and the only place I want tiles is in the bathroom.

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
I know you are an aficionado of Win10 Greg and we'll have to agree to disagree on the relative merits of W7 v. W10, but I have to say that I had only one issue with Win7 and that was the driver for my HP laser printer was initially flaky; I can only go by my own experiences and those of family and friends.

I'm still doing my best to avoid becoming one of the pesky Pod People too - no KB3035583 for me! hahaha....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
win 7, 8, 10 all very similar. I've got win 10 under control, and I have a lot of home computers, so standardizing helps.

But I responded that win 10 did not break any more things than win 7. Win 7 was quite a jump for older hardware.

Greg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I actually like what I've seen/used of Win10, just disappointed it didn't get on well with the hardware on my main laptop (which isn't THAT old, maybe 3-4 years) and also I have some older software that wasn't happy. So I went back to Win 7 for now on that box.

In the house we've got other laptops on Win10, Win8, Win7, and XP. All do their jobs fine and all can talk to our networked storage and various printers. Also still got one desktop hanging on in there with dual boot XP and Win98 (I need 98 for best compatability with my ancient and obsolete Alps technology printer which is just for making decals maybe a couple of times a year).

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am a complete dunce when it comes to computers. My old computer, which I had for many years was getting slower and slower. My wife was often heard to say 'pick a window (nothing to do with the Microsoft variety) the computer is leaving'. Nearly two years ago, I bought a new all bells and whistles job with super fast processor (now probably well out of date) and a solid state hard drive to load the programme files and a terabyte of storage for my photographs and music. The old computer ran on Vista. The new computer was loaded with Windows 8.1. I took one look at it and switched it straight off again. I hated it, nothing worked like I was used to working. It languished under the desk until about two weeks ago. Everything that I read about Windows 10 indicated that it operated and looked like XP or Vista so I got it out the 'new' computer and dusted it off. My son-in-law downloaded the free Windows 10 package. At first I was desperately disappointed. Having loaded all my photograph files, nothing worked the same way. It took me a while but I realised that if you totally ignore all the applications rubbish on the start-up screen and actually dig down into the files, everything I wanted was there, in the format that I was familiar with. The only unresolved issue to date is I do not appear to be able to run the Panasonic HD Video programme that I download the video camera with. From what I read o'nt 'tinternet, there is as yet no fix for Windows 10. The end result is that with a super fast processor, a solid state drive for the programme files to run on, and, my new upgraded to 150mbs fibre optic broadband connection, It seems I only have to hover over the keyboard and the screen changes to the one I want, it's that fast. Apart from a few relatively minor issues, that will no doubt be resolved, as a computer layman, I am more than happy with Windows 10. Almost forgot, at the same time I bought a new monitor, which has a taller aspect ration than the norm, to suit my referred 4/3rds photograph format, to give a larger picture. That too, is absolutely stunning.

David

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the observation about ignoring some of the new stuff.... the groove music, the phone stuff, etc. The most helpful things to many people is to be able to at least have a start menu more like windows 7, and the start icons do not cover the screen. But the robustness of the operating system, ability to find drivers, and the ability to self-diagnose problems and repair them are better.

Also the compatibility modes, to allow running older programs as older versions of Windows is markedly improved (did you try the troubleshooter on your Panasonic program?)

Regards, greg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm quite happy to continue to use the operating system that I bought and paid for; that was Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate; I simply don't want to be forced to use a different system, regardless of how 'free' it is, and regardless of how much of an 'upgrade' it is - and that in itself is debateable.

If you can find a simple way of removing all tiling on the Win10 start screen please share it with us.... I am aware that it can be done, but it's a convoluted process - I just don't need all that garbage flashing in my face like a cheap poledancer trying to distract me from what I wanted when I opened the startmenu in the first place!
Although I run my AW on mains power 99% of the time and have unlimited data on my plan, there's no doubt that Live Tiles use power/data and that could be a concern for some.

If you read my posting I said clearly that what I do is check the purpose of each update to ascertain the content, and reject any that are telemetry based or pre-Win10 content - I take issue with your 'Updates are there to fix flaws' comment; many updates are NOT to fix flaws - and one example of that being KB3035583 which is the 'nag' that constantly exhorts you to 'upgrade' to Win10.

I have been using PCs since Windows 3.11 and am very aware of the importance of keeping up-to-date in terms of vulnerabilities; equally as important as ensuring that all SECURITY-related updates are installed is having quality solutions to malware of any sort.

I can't help but wonder what ancestors would have done if they had discovered that their sliced loaf was reporting back to the bakery.... probably burned the baker at the stake! Now there's an idea.............

Try this site for suggestions, I've gotten rid of a heap of tiles. http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-upgrade-installation-settings/

For the future;
Where I work they use a system that is XP based, the latest version of that system is being upgraded to be WIN7 based, already planning is for in hand moving to a WIN10 based system as WIN7 is going the way of XP in about 3-4 years time.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Windows 8 and 10 MMMMMM they create a really good reason why one should buy an IMac. Dearer at first but last five times as long. Viruses, what are they. Easy and can be loaded easily. I have not needed many extra programs to do the the bits I need a computer for.
Got that right. I also wonder if Windows went to 10 because Apple is at OSX?
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Bl**dy Winders 10 re-transmogrified No.1 Daughters laptop again..

Cortana decided to rear it's non-working, lock the machine up at start head again..
This time I have spent more time in Settings turning it OFF! - I hope!! :devil::banghead::giggle:

Now, if I could be bothered to find a way to hide the tiled desktop, and present it like Windows 7, she would be happy..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Getting some
Bl**dy Winders 10 re-transmogrified No.1 Daughters laptop again..

Cortana decided to rear it's non-working, lock the machine up at start head again..
This time I have spent more time in Settings turning it OFF! - I hope!! :devil::banghead::giggle:

Now, if I could be bothered to find a way to hide the tiled desktop, and present it like Windows 7, she would be happy..

Hi Phil.

Like this? Somewhat confused as to what some have been referring to as the tiled screen. Unless you just mean the icons in the start menu?

Desktop.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
and a nice 109 to boot.!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just watched an informative video on YouTube about Microsoft set Privacy Settings on installation of W 10, what they mean and how to switch them off. As mentioned in previous posts by others, a huge amount of information is going back to Microsoft as a matter of routine. I did not really take it on board previously as I thought it did not concern me personally. Having watched the video I have turned an awful lot of stuff off. Closing a lot of superfluous and unwanted APPS also speeds up your computer. As I have stated previously, I am a computer dunce, but I now have a sense of smug satisfaction that I am in charge.

I have always maintained that just because you are paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.