Phoenix Computer Interface Problem Solved

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Now that Phoenix Sound is back in business with their new upgraded PB22 DC/DCC Sound Decoder (sound only), I had to load a sound file and do the set up into one using my Phoenix Computer Interface Program. According to the Phoenix Website, you must download and install a software update on your Windows PC in order to load sound files into the new PB22s. You must also use one of the updated sound files for use in the PB22s. For the life of me, I couldn't get the Computer Interface Program to populate when connected to a PB22. After trying uninstalling and reinstalling the program updates a couple times, I called Jim Callahan at Phoenix and he advised to shut down Windows after installing the updates and then reboot. Even then I still couldn't get the program to work. I was using an old LGB 50060 20 volts 2 Amp DC Power Supply on my workbench with the Phoenix USB Interface......this power supply now only outputs 18 volts due to age. In frustration, I then connected my other workbench DC power supply to the PC's USB Interface, which has adjustable outputs of up to 25 volts and 5 amps. Wow, the Phoenix program immediately populated the PB22's paramethers and I could load the sound file and make all the adjustments to the decoder I wanted. Interestingly, I had used the Phoenix Program to load a sound file into an older 2K2 sound decoder a couple weeks ago with the LGB 50060 with no problems. So my assumption is that the new PB22 decoders require more voltage than prior versions. This was a frustrating lessons learned experience for me that I want to share with anyone that needs to load sound files into the new Phoenix PB22 boards.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Note: A couple electrical engineers replied to my same posting on MyLargeScale.com that my old LGB 50060 DC power supply may be unstable in either or both the current and voltage, and that's likely why I couldn't get the Phoenix Computer Interface Program to work properly. The 18 volts output instead of the rated 20 volts appears to be an indication.