Not open for further replies.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rod Fearnley said:
I have Apple Imac with Windows 7 running in Parallels. Apple was/ is new to me, and takes a bit of getting used to. However, I now find myself using the Apple more than the Windows.
I wouldn't have changed at all if they had kept supporting XP.
I'll accept the free Windows 10 though. Lol
I doubt there will be a 'free' update from XP..
7 & 8 I would expect, yes. - Though you may need to pay for 'handling and carriage' if you want media to install from, rather than a download..

I also expect the download site(s) to 'die' regularly for the first few weeks, as everybody and his uncle, try to download the new OS.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
I actually put the notice about WIN 10 up for info not for debating the merits of two OS's........... but.. as always a debate springs up.
very interesting...a statement of fact, so no response necessary then.....oh dear I have just made one....sorry

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I hope it works well at least the HoloLens and simulations.
My younger son has been working in total secrecy as Art Director for 2 1/2 years over in Seattle with NASA, JPL to produce HoloLens, the Mars simulation and the remote controlled lander.
Even his wife had no idea what he was working on until last Wednesday when families were invited to trial it all. She spent the day virtual walking on Mars and 'creating' things using the HoloLens. She is no computer geek but was amazed by it.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
ROSS said:
I actually put the notice about WIN 10 up for info not for debating the merits of two OS's........... but.. as always a debate springs up.

I really don't know why debate should arise except maybe because people somehow wish to validate either of these expensive purchases. Baffles me how people identify so much with either one of these massive multi-nationals... Surely one uses whatever operating system one wishes to and whichever fits best with one's job. I run both Apple OS X and Windows 8.1 on my machine. The former because it is best for my work and the latter for my train sim programs. I will certainly use Windows 10 unless Microsoft actually want to charge for it - in which case i shall continue with Win 8 as long as possible.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I did hear that Win 10 would be free to download initially for 7 and 8users.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Excellent!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like the idea of returning an old style start menu, at present on my 8.1 machine I run "Classic Shell" to give that function to me.

At work we still use XP so that is what I am most comfortable with.

My windows experience goes 3.1, XP, 8.1 so you can see how much of a computer nerd I am :happy: :happy:.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I liked 3.1 and 95

They worked.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
stockers said:
I liked 3.1 and 95

They worked.

Unrecoverable application error - OK?

At least the Windows had a sense of humour at that time ;).

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
So why the jump from 8 to 10, its not to please our oriental cousins?

Wonder if it will be the same when they get to 12 ;)

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nodrog1826 said:

Nope MS wanted to show that this was a brand-new completely different Windows experience to previous versions so didn't feel that the brand "Windows 9" cut the mustard in that respect.

They did consider starting again at Windows 1, but of course "1" had been done already, so Windows 10 it was.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Of course,
This could be the 'real' second version..
'10' (binary) = 2 (decimal)

:eek: ;) :D :happy: :happy:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:mad: Haven't understood a single word of this whole thread.

Turn on computer, it works. If it doesn't, then it dosen't. Don't really know (and don't really care, actually) what I'm using, so long as the forum works. :-\

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin Sowry said:
:mad: Haven't understood a single word of this whole thread.

Turn on computer, it works. If it doesn't, then it dosen't. Don't really know (and don't really care, actually) what I'm using, so long as the forum works. :-\
Well that is alright, I don't understand about overlap and the like for steam operation..
I just gloss over those threads, and move on to something I understand, or am interested in.

There is some relevance to us, as we will need the various bits of software, and systems, to work together. Heck, some of us even make (a little) money out of making these things work together! ;) :D ::) :happy: :happy:

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
It's the nice think of a hobby and forum with so many diverse interests, there are things being solved by others that don't excite me, but unless others had solved them who knows how much the poorer I'd be. So much in life I don't understand but end up needing! (A bit like SWMBO's cooking :eek: )

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Windows 8 and 10 MMMMMM they create a really good reason why one should buy an IMac. Dearer at first but last five times as long. Viruses, what are they. Easy and can be loaded easily. I have not needed many extra programs to do the the bits I need a computer for.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=Nodrog1826 link=topic=300588.msg343356#msg343356 date=1423469753]

[/quote]

BG.png

Rik

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Talking through my hat again... Isn't/wasn't Windows 9 a pro-only version a couple of years back?
And if I download W10, will I have to lose even more functions from my scanner, printer, cameras -or even buy new ones like when I moved from XP of blessed memory to W7? Not been able to print a decent photo with my A3+ 6550 since, despite Canon's best efforts.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
What are the latest feelings on W10 for desk-top use?

I bought a new desk-top back in the summer with W7/64 Pro. Free W10 upgrade wasn't an option on that at that time, but on Thursday after a massive 60 updates overnight I now have a button offering a free upgrade.

I swore I wouldn't when I bought the P.C. but now I wonder.

1/ Is it worth the hassle? Like will it work straight off or take me days to get it sorted (computer numpty)?
2/ What am I now going to lose, that I'm perfectly happy with ATM?
3/ ?????????

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
What are the latest feelings on W10 for desk-top use?

I bought a new desk-top back in the summer with W7/64 Pro. Free W10 upgrade wasn't an option on that at that time, but on Thursday after a massive 60 updates overnight I now have a button offering a free upgrade.

I swore I wouldn't when I bought the P.C. but now I wonder.

1/ Is it worth the hassle? Like will it work straight off or take me days to get it sorted (computer numpty)?
2/ What am I now going to lose, that I'm perfectly happy with ATM?
3/ ?????????

1/ Possibly not if you don't need W10. This is being sent from a new laptop which came with W10 and having been using W7/MS Office for years, I found the different format and facilities available in W10, even with MS Office, very messy. I am slowly getting used to it but I am also aware that because of lack of understanding there are probably facilities available which I do not know exist or how to use.
2/ You won't lose anything in terms of facilities, apps etc, quite the contrary; however, you may well find that saved documents, particularly e-mail attachments,'disappear' until you discover that they have been saved in a place you didn't expect. Now, how much of that is due to my e-mail server, W10 or me I don't know, but the big emphasis these days, due to people using multiple devices, is on using remote storage instead of having everything saved to the computer's drives.
3/ Somebody else will doubtless reply to the contrary, somebody who understands these things better than I, which will just go to prove that I am a computer numpty!

Status
Not open for further replies.