Leader 0-4-2ST, new live steam loco from Accucraft

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
According to the museum on the PPS site,Excelsior could be fitted with forward and reverse servos so that should apply to the Leader.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A v nice little loco but the pony truck looks to be a very toylike afterthought.:-
Surely they can make it look more convincing.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Ok Just to pick up on some of the questions.

The cab roof is a flip up type rather than the older design of slide back.

The boiler is not lagged because it is important to have the maximum boiler diameter (for water volume) within the constraints of the overall scale model boiler dimensions. Also it should be remembered this is a relatively low cost model so you can't expect the same specification of , say, a Countess.

The loco is superheated, this means the burner/flue arrangement is "of recent practice" and is not the same as Excelsior.

The pony truck is actually a good scale representation of the real loco.

Accucraft have confirmed they will not be offering the loco with R/C fitted "in house" , it will be down to dealers or customers to make their own arrangements if they want to. They have confirmed R/C can be fitted and advise there is room for a Planet 2.4GHz receiver and "2x2" AAA batteries under the footplate without getting in the way of the pony truck. A Hitech HS-82MG servo would go on the reversing lever, and they suggest the left hand side of the saddletank for the switch.

The sample will be on show at Llanfair and anyone going will be more than welcome to examine it and discuss any aspects in detail.

To sum up I should say that whilst Leader looks like Excelsior at first glance it is a very different loco "under the bonnet" built to current specifications and practice developed with experience gained over the years.

Now where's my rubber stamp... "APPROVED" :admire:

Oh, and here is a sample of the light green paint that will be an option (please ignore the lining).

463159006c60411ca0b0cc6c084ec96d.jpg

Happy steamings,

John

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks the business to me. I'm certianly going for one.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
, and they suggest the left hand side of the saddletank for the switch.

Because Excelsior's switch was on the top of the now non-existant bunker. Fairy snuff!

My next question is would the Leader cylinders fit on an Excelsior without other modification?

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
bobg said:
My next question is would the Leader cylinders fit on an Excelsior without other modification?

Sorry, No....... but top marks for asking!

Happy steamings,

John

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Sorry John,

But that begs the next and most obvious question, what other mods might be required.

I realise this is all a bit difficult in the circumstances, but if just a few holes need repositioning or similar then it would be no great deal, but if it means new wheelsets and valve gear etc. then it's too much bother/cost.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
bobg said:
I realise this is all a bit difficult in the circumstances, but if just a few holes need repositioning or similar then it would be no great deal, but if it means new wheelsets and valve gear etc. then it's too much bother/cost.

It's a fair question, so I'll attempt an answer:

Accucraft will always tell you they are not in the loco parts supply business for DIY construction/modification, they are in the business of supplying complete locos. So don't expect to be able to buy spare Leader cylinders, the way production is managed there are not bin fulls of spare parts sitting around the factory.

Short of getting a Leader and an Excelsior side by side on the bench , partially pulling them apart and having a look I really couldn't say what work would be involved, the official line from Accucraft is you can't do it, and as no one else has seen the loco in the flesh yet I guess we must beleive them.

Sorry it's probably not the answer you were looking for BOBG, I am presuming you have an unmodified Excelsior in your fleet? Can't remember who used to do upgarde cylinders for them, was it DJB?

Happy steamings,

John

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Sorry key question.... when can I BUY one :) ?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Sorry it's probably not the answer you were looking for BOBG, I am presuming you have an unmodified Excelsior in your fleet?

Yes I do, but it's Ok John, it mightn't be the answer I would have liked, but it was certainly what I was expecting, especially at this early stage in manufacture. To be honest I didn't expect this much info at this point. My "E" is indeed unmodified not even R/C (yet). My slight dilema is whether to mod, or sell it and buy a Leader. That decision is a little easier with what you have told us all already, in that Accu won't be doing an R/C version off the shelf. It's the things like super-heating and bigger burner etc. that are now of more of concern to me. Most of the rest I can probably work my way around one way or another

Many thanks for your help, I am watching intently.:clap:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I've ordered mine (green)

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
Sorry key question.... when can I BUY one :) ?
A list of approved Accucraft UK dealers is at http://www.accucraft.uk.com/dealers < Link To www.accucraft.uk.com/dealers

Leader will not be in the shops until December but it is worth making a reservation as it could get booked up before it arrives.

Happy steamings,

John

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
...........................The pony truck is actually a good scale representation of the real loco........

images

Happy steamings,

John
John
Having viewed a photo of the original - I should have done that first - I see what you mean.:banghead:
I can't post the pic as it is probably copyright but the original has round bar coupling and con' rods.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Sea Lion said:
...........................The pony truck is actually a good scale representation of the real loco........

images

Happy steamings,

John
John

Having viewed a photo of the original - I should have done that first - I see what you mean.:banghead: but probably a simple blackening of the wheel rim would help to make it look a bit more substantial.
I can't post the pic as it is probably copyright but the original is currently running with round bar coupling and con' rods.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Sea Lion said:
Having viewed a photo of the original - I should have done that first - I see what you mean.

I once saw a pony truck frame in the Corris museum - don't know which loco it came from.
It was literally a triangle with axle holes.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
KeithT said:
Having viewed a photo of the original - I should have done that first - I see what you mean.:banghead: but probably a simple blackening of the wheel rim would help to make it look a bit more substantial.
I can't post the pic as it is probably copyright but the original is currently running with round bar coupling and con' rods.

I agree Keith, a simple Blackening of the tyre on the pony truck wheels will make them look more substantial and stop pulling your eye towards them.

Melior is in working order and has the round coupling and con rods you mention, but Leader is I think still under restoration and has traditional flat section rods.

A good selection of pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stopem < Link To www.flickr.com/photos/stopem

Happy steamings,

John

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I notice that there are no pictures of the left hand side of the loco , which would show the horrible cab arrangements we saw in the samlpe pictures have these been resolved?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
KeithT said:
A v nice little loco but the pony truck looks to be a very toylike afterthought.:-
Surely they can make it look more convincing.
I would concur with this statement.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Jones the Steam said:
Looks a really nice loco and just in time for Xmas too.

Dear Santa, please may I have a ......

....black one!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Pictures of the left hand side of the sample loco are at the start of this thread.

Not quite sure what "orrible cab arrangements" you refer to Garry?

Happy steamings,

John