Hello from Eagle Point, Oregon

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, brand-new garden railroader here. I'm excited to share my little railroad, which I built in my backyard in southern Oregon in the US.

My inspiration for model trains was my Opa (grandfather), who had a little LGB set he brought with him from Germany. We ran it every Christmas while I was growing up. As a kid I tried to get into HO scale trains but never could afford to do anything more than plan layouts and dream; but now that I'm in my 30s and finally have a home of my own, I decided to make those childhood dreams a reality. With a modest budget, a small yard, and the full support of my wife, my garden railroad was constructed in February of this year.

My railroad consists of about 70' of LGB track arranged in a very elongated oval. The design was pretty much determined by my budget and the constraints of my yard: R2 curves to fit the narrow space, and the overall length was based on the amount of used LGB flex track I could get for $150. I have, however, arranged my layout in such a manner that I can easily add to it later.

Construction was basic: I dug a deep trench for my track, covered the trench and entire site with landscaping fabric, put gravel in the trench, and finally added level concrete blocks (in the back along the fence) and brick along the trackbed. The track is free-floating atop the brick. I really like the brick as it's relatively affordable, super easy to work with, and looks quite nice as edging. The bricks provide several inches of elevation above ground level, which is necessary to keep the track from being flooded during winter rains. The deep trench also aids with drainage of our thick clay soil, while the gravel foundation keeps the bricks stable but easy to adjust whenever leveling becomes necessary.

I use basic DC track power, supplied by a $20 second-hand Loco-Motion Tech-II controller. It works beautifully for my setup, with the sole downside being that I'm limited to running only one train at a time. Track cleaning has been pretty easy: Usually a quick wipe of the rails with rubbing alcohol on a cleaning cloth is enough to get the train running smoothly, even on my 30-year-old used track. I had planned to run feeder lines to various points along the track, but so far that has not been necessary.

My railroad has no particular theme, aside from being generic "European" steam. I've chosen to run LGB Stainz locomotives on my line, partially because that's the train my Opa had, but also because they are so cheap and reliable. For the price of one professionally refurbished Stainz I bought three off the 'bay,' which I rebuilt into two fully functioning locos. My wife is Aussie and really enjoys the trains, so at some point I'd like to get her something that looks Australian. I'd also like to add a larger, European steam locomotive; but for now that's nowhere near affordable for me and I'd rather get more track and some switches. Currently the only "industry" my line services is our veggie garden, which is why you'll see a couple pictures of loads of produce being shipped from the "farm."

I'm very happy with the current layout, but I still hope to keep expanding it. One option is to simply add a couple switches and extend my line through the roses to the south along my fence-line, potentially doubling the size of my line with minimal engineering difficulties. More challenging would be expanding to the north and then west, which would involve constructing multiple bridges to cross and then follow the steep edge of a large drainage ditch. This later option interests me more, but I need to find inexpensive but weatherproof building materials for the bridges and the significant amounts of elevated track required. Possibly any future expansions may be designed and wired as independent loops so I can run multiple trains. In any case, in the short term I'm looking at adding some simple sidings, building some structures, and starting to turn the existing layout into more of an inviting little world.

Anyway, that's the story of my little garden railroad. My budget was about $550 (for train, track, transformer, bricks, gravel, and a couple small plants), although I have continued to procure rolling stock in the months since which does add up.

Cheers!

Tanner

Attachments

• IMG_9399.jpeg
    IMG_9399.jpeg
    591.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9816.jpeg
    IMG_9816.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9927.jpeg
    IMG_9927.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from North Yorkshire, UK. You've started the right way on two points - you've got the support of the Boss (your lady wife) and you've got a simple layout down so that you can run trains whenever you want while you're planning the rest of the layout. You've also got two very nice looking locos there and rolling stock.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice line. I like the produce transport. In the UK we had a number of lines known by the produce that was shipped along them. One is a heritage steam railway, the "Watercress Line". One immutable law of garden railways - they will inevitably expand to the limits of the property they find themselves in. Welcome Tanner. Max.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, good to get something built.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, brand-new garden railroader here. I'm excited to share my little railroad, which I built in my backyard in southern Oregon in the US.

My inspiration for model trains was my Opa (grandfather), who had a little LGB set he brought with him from Germany. We ran it every Christmas while I was growing up. As a kid I tried to get into HO scale trains but never could afford to do anything more than plan layouts and dream; but now that I'm in my 30s and finally have a home of my own, I decided to make those childhood dreams a reality. With a modest budget, a small yard, and the full support of my wife, my garden railroad was constructed in February of this year.

My railroad consists of about 70' of LGB track arranged in a very elongated oval. The design was pretty much determined by my budget and the constraints of my yard: R2 curves to fit the narrow space, and the overall length was based on the amount of used LGB flex track I could get for $150. I have, however, arranged my layout in such a manner that I can easily add to it later.

Construction was basic: I dug a deep trench for my track, covered the trench and entire site with landscaping fabric, put gravel in the trench, and finally added level concrete blocks (in the back along the fence) and brick along the trackbed. The track is free-floating atop the brick. I really like the brick as it's relatively affordable, super easy to work with, and looks quite nice as edging. The bricks provide several inches of elevation above ground level, which is necessary to keep the track from being flooded during winter rains. The deep trench also aids with drainage of our thick clay soil, while the gravel foundation keeps the bricks stable but easy to adjust whenever leveling becomes necessary.

I use basic DC track power, supplied by a $20 second-hand Loco-Motion Tech-II controller. It works beautifully for my setup, with the sole downside being that I'm limited to running only one train at a time. Track cleaning has been pretty easy: Usually a quick wipe of the rails with rubbing alcohol on a cleaning cloth is enough to get the train running smoothly, even on my 30-year-old used track. I had planned to run feeder lines to various points along the track, but so far that has not been necessary.

My railroad has no particular theme, aside from being generic "European" steam. I've chosen to run LGB Stainz locomotives on my line, partially because that's the train my Opa had, but also because they are so cheap and reliable. For the price of one professionally refurbished Stainz I bought three off the 'bay,' which I rebuilt into two fully functioning locos. My wife is Aussie and really enjoys the trains, so at some point I'd like to get her something that looks Australian. I'd also like to add a larger, European steam locomotive; but for now that's nowhere near affordable for me and I'd rather get more track and some switches. Currently the only "industry" my line services is our veggie garden, which is why you'll see a couple pictures of loads of produce being shipped from the "farm."

I'm very happy with the current layout, but I still hope to keep expanding it. One option is to simply add a couple switches and extend my line through the roses to the south along my fence-line, potentially doubling the size of my line with minimal engineering difficulties. More challenging would be expanding to the north and then west, which would involve constructing multiple bridges to cross and then follow the steep edge of a large drainage ditch. This later option interests me more, but I need to find inexpensive but weatherproof building materials for the bridges and the significant amounts of elevated track required. Possibly any future expansions may be designed and wired as independent loops so I can run multiple trains. In any case, in the short term I'm looking at adding some simple sidings, building some structures, and starting to turn the existing layout into more of an inviting little world.

Anyway, that's the story of my little garden railroad. My budget was about $550 (for train, track, transformer, bricks, gravel, and a couple small plants), although I have continued to procure rolling stock in the months since which does add up.

Cheers!

Tanner
The best bit is the Oregon Strawberries!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, you've started the right way, simple design and construction, with plenty of scope for expansion. I like the raised brickwork, the track bed of my line is made with them, being heavier than house bricks there's less chance of movement, and as they're designed for driveways, frost damage shouldn't be a problem

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The best bit is the Oregon Strawberries!

Oh lucky man, to be able to walk into a restaurant and ask for a slice of Marionberry pie!!!!! BTW, Mrs tac and I are frequent visitors to Oregon, and love the state dearly.

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to our wonderful hobby. Great job and the blue berries make my hungry. I learn on a daily basis from this site and down load lots of pictures for ideas. I follow the "coffee Lounge daily and the pictures there really are worth those thousand words. Enjoy

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome! That layout and rolling stock look like a lot of fun. Great job on the vegetable garden, let alone the integration with the railway.

Loving the way you're connecting with your heritage and your Opa. Weiter so!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Tanner....

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers