Leader 0-4-2ST, new live steam loco from Accucraft

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
0b885e793b904b3abca51f895fad962e.jpg

A few pictures of the engineering sample of Leader, now showing the straight chimney as well as the spark arrestor. The loco comes with the spark arrestor chimney fitted and the straight chimney in the box for easy customer swapover, almost like 2 locos for the price of 1!

Happy steamings,

John

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I really like the look of this John. What will be the minimum radius that it will run on? Also, what sort of dimensions will it be in relation to the old Edrig and Caradoc which I found to look a little too .... errr ........ chunky for my tastes?

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Yes I must admit I am falling deeply in love with this little loco, trying to think up excuses for it appearing as the carriage shed shunter at St Johns on the IMR!

I have requested dimensions etc from Accucraft and will post when I get them. I reckon 2' radius R1 curves ought to be OK with this type of wheel arrangement.

Should be in the shops in December.

The loco comes set to 45mm gauge but is supplied with a 32mm gauge pony truck in the accessory pack so owners can convert the loco to 32mm gauge if required. You will also note from the three quarter rear view that the loco is fitted with a water sight glass.

Happy steamings,

John

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Dannysfod said:
Yes, Yes, I like it!

But the big question is, what is the estimated price?

List price for a manual one is a ballpark of £675 to£725 , so you could expect to see it discounted to somewhere around the £590 to £635 mark. I reckon this makes it the lowest cost prototypical live steam loco in this scale, unless you know otherwise?

We are waiting on information regarding the possibility and pricing of radio control.

Length over coupling faces: 315mm
Length over buffer beams: 255mm
Extreme width (over cylinders): 113mm
Extreme Height (over chimney): 157mm
Weight: 3.2Kg
Minimum Radius curve: R1 or 2 ft. The loco will go round this quite happily on its own but to pull some stock through
a reverse curve will depend on the couplings on the stock.

Happy steamings,

John

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! A nifty little loco and as far as I am concerned a reasonable price.
Like Mel I fancy a steamie (go on, take the wee) but found the available ones to beefy or the proportions were wrong, but this looks just right.
Time to start my chr***mas wish list, won't be long, in fact one item :D okay, three or four (need wagons for it won't I?) :rofl:

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I ain't no expert but it looks like a re-release of their Excelsior model of which there is one for sale on E bay at the moment. Happy bidding.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
It is.

With larger cylinders, superheater, water gauge glass, new rear end, regulator handle and no doubt a few other improvements.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I certainly prefer the regulator handle to the Hornby type knob and the straight chimney looks a lot better.The water level glass will prove very useful although they're not too accurate,a lovely looking engine I would say.Can't wait....:clap:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
John,
Do you know if it it'll have the flip over roof like Lawley?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks for the extra info John. I've just compared the dimensions with my existing (electric) loco's and it's become VERY tempting.

andysleigh

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
well, it is really,
leader was the same, except it had a flat cab back. But a good re release, one of the best accy locos IMHO

first page excelsior, link to leader page at bottom
http://www.appc27.dsl.pipex.com/brazil1.htm

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Extreme Height (over chimney): 157mm Weight: 3.2Kg

Those dims., apart from the width which is a few m.m. bigger, are pretty much the same as Excelsior.

The extra width maybe to do with the larger cyl bores. The rear bunker could be fabricated if it was wanted, it all hangs out over the coupling anyway.

Looks good to me!

Doug

24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
Leader:

Caradoc:
Length over buffer beams: 260mm
Extreme Height (over chimney): 161mm

So only a few mm smaller than Caradoc!

andysleigh

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
i trust it has a larger flue tube and better burner !?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Doug said:
Sea Lion said:
Leader:

Caradoc:
Length over buffer beams: 260mm
Extreme Height (over chimney): 161mm

So only a few mm smaller than Caradoc!

Yes, but more in proportion to my eyes Doug.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
I really like the look of this John. What will be the minimum radius that it will run on? Also, what sort of dimensions will it be in relation to the old Edrig and Caradoc which I found to look a little too .... errr ........ chunky for my tastes?

I've just compared the dimensions and they are almost the same as Caradoc. That begs the question:
Where are the R/C gubbins going to be stored if there's a pony truck under the cab?

It is very desirable and I'll have to save my pennies up!

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
It looks nicely in proportion and for for the money a relatively good representation of the real thing. The length is almost spot on but the width and height are slightly over scale, shouldn't be too noticeable though.

Leader never ran with a straight chimney and never carried Whipsnade blue livery, As far as I'm aware it's only ever been in Bowaters green but the Brazil class was popular as an export model so versions would have been seen around the World in many colours. It will have to be Bowaters green for me though I'm afraid.

The main issue I think will be fitting the R/C gear in. There doesn't appear to be much room in there, I'll have to wait 'til I see one in the flesh.

Is the boiler lagged, like the Countess?

Doug

24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I would put the batteries in the saddle tank, reverser servo in r/h side tank, slim-line receiver under the foot plate, throttle servo on footplate or possibly under the footplate. Alot depends on how much, if any, free room is under the footplate.