If you need to upgrade a Sabre loco

TL

Registered
4 Jul 2012
Best answers
Well not wanting to open the old can of worms.
I have a Sabre Annette and it runs well as previously mentioned on previous threads last year with no changes to the blast pipe or blower pipe.
However I have just had made a new grate and now the running is now even better infact excellent, loads of Steam to spare and runs well over 1200ft without touching the fire. first run last night and in steam for 1.5hrs and at the end of the run just dust in the grate.
If anybody wants one of these made in the UK and fitted to their loco and the reason I say fitted is that it was made to fit my firebox and tested before I re took delivery of the loco then the guy to contact is David Clarke at Atlantic Engineering. A great engineer used to building all scales from 16mm to full size.
You can get intouch with him at LIVE.STEAM.ENGINEER@GMAIL.COM
TL

jabsteam

1:20.3, 16mm
3 Sep 2012
Colorado Springs, USA
Best answers
"at the end of the run just dust in the grate"
What kind of coal were you burning? Welsh Steam Coal, or Anthracite Coal?

Trying to find out what works best in these tiny fireboxes, soon to take delivery of a DJB "Robert" kit.

RonG

Registered
10 Jul 2012
West Midlands
Best answers
can you post a photo of the grate?
I am looking to make a coal fired Lady Ann, got the running gear and made a boiler interested in the type of grate suitable for this size.

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Ron, there are photos on this part of the site that may answer you question. I have made the rose bud grate mentioned which is a great improvement over the original Sabre supplied grate.
John.

TL

Registered
4 Jul 2012
Best answers
Hi
Anthracite Coal, I just get a couple of bags from ELR which lasts me a season, and a bag of charcoal
cutting the charcoal is a pain and messy
Tony

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Come and get some from me Tony. It's a filthy job cutting it up. I buy mine already graded.
Steve

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
"Aha!", I thought when I read this. "I've got a big plastic sack of charcoal flakes in the garage...". So, off I went to the garage and found the sack of charcoal flakes, and read all the words printed thereon. And there is no indication at all of who might have supplied it!

There was a guy in Sandy, Bedfordshire, that used to supply charcoal for model engineering applications, who I think supplied (via a friend) the sack that I have here. I have his details but I cannot find any mention on the www of him or his charcoal, so that particular source is probably no longer available. I'll see what I can find out...