Bachmann Thomas into a Jones Goods loco

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
This thread is about creating something close to the preserved Jones Goods loco 103. The real engine ran in the 1960s as part of a Scottish Region initiative that had four older types restored/saved in operating condition. 103 ‘s last role before becoming a static exhibit was to appear in the film those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.
The model is at an early stage with the basic running plate and boiler now made. The chassis comprises a Thomas motor block bought with a wheel set and under keep. The front bogie is from an Annie as is the modified cylinder block; cross head, slide bars, and connecting rod.The bogie wheels are from GRS as wagon wheels.

The tender is to be built on a Bachmann Emily frame set, fitted one with smaller diameter (Thomas range wagon) wheels bought as parts from Bachmann Parts USA.

The loco buffers and smoke box door are from Walsall models; the dome , chimney and safety valve base are from GRS.

Below is an image of 94217BCB-1665-42DC-86D9-B9BB0A161704.jpegthe model so far!

Reactions: 1 user

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This thread is about creating something close to the preserved Jones Goods loco 103. The real engine ran in the 1960s as part of a Scottish Region initiative that had four older types restored/saved in operating condition. 103 ‘s last role before becoming a static exhibit was to appear in the film those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.
The model is at an early stage with the basic running plate and boiler now made. The chassis comprises a Thomas motor block bought with a wheel set and under keep. The front bogie is from an Annie as is the modified cylinder block; cross head, slide bars, and connecting rod.The bogie wheels are from GRS as wagon wheels.

The tender is to be built on a Bachmann Emily frame set, fitted one with smaller diameter (Thomas range wagon) wheels bought as parts from Bachmann Parts USA.

The loco buffers and smoke box door are from Walsall models; the dome , chimney and safety valve base are from GRS.

Below is an image of View attachment 317299the model so far!
That looks great - thanks for quoting sources for the bits and bobs. I've a notion to create a loco in a similar fashion next year and this is fascinating for me.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag

When I saw the heading I thought that this must be a wind-up - until I saw who's post it was ! This borders on genius. The railway scenes in "Those Magnificent Men" were filmed about 15 minutes away from here on the then closed Bedford-Hitchin line. Apparently the Bedford spotters couldn't believe their eyes when the Jones Goods turned up ! There's an article about it in "Steam World" for April 1999.
Two questions about the build - first, roughly what scale will it come out at ? And secondly, what do you think of the Thomas mechanism ? I also have some ideas for one but haven't any personal experience.
Looking forward to more on this
Phil

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
When I saw the heading I thought that this must be a wind-up - until I saw who's post it was ! This borders on genius. The railway scenes in "Those Magnificent Men" were filmed about 15 minutes away from here on the then closed Bedford-Hitchin line. Apparently the Bedford spotters couldn't believe their eyes when the Jones Goods turned up ! There's an article about it in "Steam World" for April 1999.
Two questions about the build - first, roughly what scale will it come out at ? And secondly, what do you think of the Thomas mechanism ? I also have some ideas for one but haven't any personal experience.
Looking forward to more on this
Phil
Hi Phil
The loco will be approx 1/24 or 1/2” to the foot.
It won’t be perfectly to scale as I’ll adjust various dimensions as things like wheel spacing won’t be scale. Obviously like my other models it’ll be running on what is narrow gauge track etc.
My models aren’t particularly taxed as they either visit other peoples garden railways or operate on my loco shed layout (crib Lane) at shows. I’ve used the Thomas mechanism on two other builds, ages ago on a model based on the hunslet conversion 2890 that turned a J94 type/austerity into a tender loco (loosely Fouglas) and recently to build a NER long boiler as 1275 at the NRM.Both work fine for me.9283544F-272F-4E47-A5FC-7FB85F50BEEF.jpeg90F24E8D-84D3-4C57-A2D8-867D6AB36420.jpegA7B83D39-0FDE-41CF-98BA-229CE891D2E8.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil
The loco will be approx 1/24 or 1/2” to the foot.
It won’t be perfectly to scale as I’ll adjust various dimensions as things like wheel spacing won’t be scale. Obviously like my other models it’ll be running on what is narrow gauge track etc.
My models aren’t particularly taxed as they either visit other peoples garden railways or operate on my loco shed layout (crib Lane) at shows. I’ve used the Thomas mechanism on two other builds, ages ago on a model based on the hunslet conversion 2890 that turned a J94 type/austerity into a tender loco (loosely Fouglas) and recently to build a NER long boiler as 1275 at the NRM.Both work fine for me.View attachment 317404View attachment 317405View attachment 317406

I thought I’d post a few images showing how the scheme has moved on this week.
The tender is beginning to take shape. As wheel as a set of Emily tender framed some left over components including ding bits of top trays and coal rails have been deployed along with s lot of styrene.
Buffers have been filled to the tender matching those on the loco.
The main development on the loco has been the making and fitting of the basic cab and splashers. The later are beneath a thin layer of styrene made from plastic pipe cut as a ring to width/depth and then cut to length.
The serious detailing of the cab will continue and then probably all the hand rails etc.
By the weekend it should look almost ready for the paint shop! I’ll probably let the project rest a while before that gets under way as there ll be a bit of research before the brushes and rattle cans come out.C20B938C-42CF-483E-980D-E63C3FEAF44D.jpegDB838146-2E58-428D-AF1A-57FA3C98F0DD.jpeg11284941-FAA2-4E47-9AE0-E04C894F00DB.jpeg

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I thought I’d post a few images showing how the scheme has moved on this week.
The tender is beginning to take shape. As wheel as a set of Emily tender framed some left over components including ding bits of top trays and coal rails have been deployed along with s lot of styrene.
Buffers have been filled to the tender matching those on the loco.
The main development on the loco has been the making and fitting of the basic cab and splashers. The later are beneath a thin layer of styrene made from plastic pipe cut as a ring to width/depth and then cut to length.
The serious detailing of the cab will continue and then probably all the hand rails etc.
By the weekend it should look almost ready for the paint shop! I’ll probably let the project rest a while before that gets under way as there ll be a bit of research before the brushes and rattle cans come out.View attachment 317448View attachment 317449View attachment 317450
Is the running board a single assembly, attached in some way to the chassis/motor block? Presumbly that would be pretty much the first step?

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Is the running board a single assembly, attached in some way to the chassis/motor block? Presumbly that would be pretty much the first step

The running board was a start point for the body super structure. It was made whilst I was also constructing the basic chassis that essentially involved creating the frame extensions for the modified Bachmann Annie cylinder block.
The constraint for this was the Bachmann connecting rod length and bogie that is set as far forward as I could manage whilst ensuring the piston rod operated and E31968FB-A801-409B-8350-F644EC65879A.jpeg7FBFF344-40EC-4448-ADD6-BD8AE08C3A17.jpeg5709B77B-3E53-4069-860A-0E2A32C5EA7A.jpeg725DF108-472B-48A7-AC30-9452D725B2E7.jpegdidn’t drop out of the cylinder block etc.
Hopefully the illustrations make this a little clearer .
Once the basic operable chassis is created then the running plate can be finally shaped. Mine clips on the projection on the back of the he Thomas chassis. It ll be secured at the front end to the body ( not determined exactly where yet) once the body is completed.
Hope this is useful.

Reactions: 1 users

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The running board was a start point for the body super structure. It was made whilst I was also constructing the basic chassis that essentially involved creating the frame extensions for the modified Bachmann Annie cylinder block.
The constraint for this was the Bachmann connecting rod length and bogie that is set as far forward as I could manage whilst ensuring the piston rod operated and View attachment 317497View attachment 317499View attachment 317500View attachment 317498didn’t drop out of the cylinder block etc.
Once the basic operable chassis is created then the running plate can be finally shaped. Mine clips on the projection on the back of the he Thomas chassis. It ll be secured at the front end to the body ( not determined exactly where yet) once the body is completed.
Hope this is useful.
Magic, thank you. I like to take ages, imagining how to build something, and that has given me a smashing steer. Mine will eventually be based on a Big Hauler chassis, so vaguely similar. I may well just have a go at getting to the running board stage, then pause to think some more once I see it move on the track. Won't be rushing into this one, though.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
The constraint for this was the Bachmann connecting rod length and bogie that is set as far forward as I could manage whilst ensuring the piston rod operated and View attachment 317497View attachment 317499View attachment 317500View attachment 317498didn’t drop out of the cylinder block etc.
Hope this is useful.
I thought I’d post a few images showing progress.
The first showing the bare model prior to painting, the second showing the loco in grey primer. This is the stage I probably like most as the variety of components and materials begin to look unified as if a real loco awaiting final painting etc.
The final images show current progress on painting, which now needs a bit of tidying up, boiler bands lined out, as well as other lining and finally, plates that are on order and, will carry 103 as per the loco in the museum in Glasgow.
Thanks for all the positive feed back .
9479B1E2-DEE3-4E04-9BDC-33D2C6807936.jpegC336FD25-C4FB-44CA-AB75-CB7455894D1C.jpeg31F6EAB5-D90E-4958-BC7E-994DD0CE4B9B.jpegF47C3D70-680E-4BA4-906C-01B87B52AE03.jpeg

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That's magnificent - very well done:party: