Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good clear video of the train. What camera did you use?

I like the waterfall and lake, too. Adds a lot of interest to the lower loop.
I used my phone. It's an iPhone 13. I've been really impressed by the camera on it!

Thank you! The waterfall needs building up some more and when it's planted I hope it has the effect I want!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I used my phone. It's an iPhone 13. I've been really impressed by the camera on it!

Thank you! The waterfall needs building up some more and when it's planted I hope it has the effect I want!
Both iPhone and iPad these days take great pictures and movie. Rarely use anything else these days on my models. Plus I use them rather than a scanner as well.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
In the picture, you'll see a previous attempt of mine to bend a rail by hand (bottom) and with a rail bender (top)....
You should be able to use the rail bender to re-radius the hand bent track Curtis....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You should be able to use the rail bender to re-radius the hand bent track Curtis....
Indeed rail benders are superb for sorting out wrong/poorly done bends and even making curves back to straights.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed rail benders are superb for sorting out wrong/poorly done bends and even making curves back to straights.
Yes, I straightened some ART curves that my late father brought for me just before he passed away.

I was determined to use the track on my layout somewhere, so they were 'unbent' and used in Pip's Yard....thumbnail_20200523_165649.jpg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You have been working hard

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
A few videos of the recent updates:

Some videos
(although it says, "login", you should be able to view without an account)

Pictures with some plants going in (much to my wife's delight - it isn't a giant pile of mud anymore)

What will be the terminus station.

BE6ABB5A-C26C-4335-8572-70A501905E24.JPG

A view of a train waiting in one of the passing stations.
IMG_0923.JPG

Ballasting in progress...

Plants and ballasting

Passing track
BF2BF483-413C-4521-9794-F836CDFA1802.JPG

Another video of the passing tracks on the lower loop
7AC0F9FD-D5E5-4670-8E8C-6FE8FCEEB6D7.JPG

Looking down the garden towards the pond.
IMG_4314.jpeg
Ballasting and planting
IMG_4313.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg
IMG_0910.JPG42DD6A65-1CE4-47F4-AD65-15B941FD9E09.JPG

Attachments

• 39efcccc-e91c-4912-8b9e-e53059bd058f.JPG
    39efcccc-e91c-4912-8b9e-e53059bd058f.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4315.jpeg
    IMG_4315.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A great looking line. I hope you've been careful not to compromise the damp course in the 2nd and 3rd pictures

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
A great looking line. I hope you've been careful not to compromise the damp course in the 2nd and 3rd pictures
Yes, we had professionals in that handled that for us. It was too much of an undertaking and I didn't have the knowledge for it.

This was posted on the daily thread but I thought I'd also include it here as they got some lovely running shots - the local ITV Channel news did a short piece of what we've built so far:
Couple's 'engine-uity' leads to model train city in Jersey garden | ITV News

Last edited:

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
the local ITV Channel news did a short piece of what we've built so far: http://itv.com/news/channel/2022-03-29/couples-engin…
Link is truncated for me. Does it work for anyone else?

Full link

I do like the segment, and you & Nikki (& the garden) come off really well. But is there some sort of journalism award for squeezing the most weak puns into a 1 minute news segment?

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Link is truncated for me. Does it work for anyone else?

Full link

I do like the segment, and you & Nikki (& the garden) come off really well. But is there some sort of journalism award for squeezing the most weak puns into a 1 minute news segment?
No I never found it either. Probably best to put such links on a line with no other text, that is what I always do.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies. I've updated the original like (thank you, Andrew for including).

Appreciate your kind words. We tried to make it accessible and there was some content that was cut about how these things grow over time but if you're curious get a loop of track and "just get trains running" to quote members of this forum. I've had a couple of people in Jersey reach out/message me to so I'll see what I can do to bring G Scale to the island!

I think it's part of the "and finally" segments. Honestly, I enjoyed them but then Nikki does tell me I've got an appreciation for awful jokes

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies. I've updated the original like (thank you, Andrew for including).

Appreciate your kind words. We tried to make it accessible and there was some content that was cut about how these things grow over time but if you're curious get a loop of track and "just get trains running" to quote members of this forum. I've had a couple of people in Jersey reach out/message me to so I'll see what I can do to bring G Scale to the island!

I think it's part of the "and finally" segments. Honestly, I enjoyed them but then Nikki does tell me I've got an appreciation for awful jokes
Brill enjoyable to see the line in colour and the faces behind its creation. Specially like your 4 legged friend, but I guess it is no secret that I am a canine enthusiast.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Found the other vids of Shades.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I put together a video that goes on a bit of a tour of the layout in its current state. Certainly lots more work to be done but enjoying that trains are running!
Looks like you've been working hard:clap::clap::clap:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I put together a video that goes on a bit of a tour of the layout in its current state. Certainly lots more work to be done but enjoying that trains are running!
Most impressive!

You have been busy building your layout. I like the curved points and you seem to have working double slips? my one was problematic, so I removed it.

I also like that your trains have a journey from the terminus, through various stations on a continuous circuit, and a junction to a high level line with a return loop. So lots of operating potential too.

Nicely done Curtis....

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most impressive!

You have been busy building your layout. I like the curved points and you seem to have working double slips? my one was problematic, so I removed it.

I also like that your trains have a journey from the terminus, through various stations on a continuous circuit, and a junction to a high level line with a return loop. So lots of operating potential too.

Nicely done Curtis....

Gizzy - you warned me against them and they've made me nervous but I'd already bought two so wanted to give them a shot. The terminus one is very reliable from my use so far. The one in Steinertal can be a bit random but I see where your "problematic" statement comes from. I did leave some flexibility in the track plan to remove them if I can't solve it though. I've spent years admiring them so at least wanted to try.

Thank you. Yes, honestly, a lot of those considerations were inspired by ge_rik ge_rik so much of my appreciation go there. He has a great post and video on running options and I was really impressed by the flexibility. After watching his video the original track plan was scrapped completely in order to try and make the options in (running loops, out and back, terminus etc). I don't think I had truly appreciated the layout design until I was filing for this video and I was able to have the two continuous running circuits going while controlling the U-Class.

That being said, the wonderful folks in this forum have been extremely helpful both actively (responding to my questions) and passively as I've tried to read and consume the collective wisdom!

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow Curtis! That's truly impressive! What a lot you've managed to squeeze in and all beautifully landscaped. Those rendered walls are a really great touch and finish it off nicely. The music you've chosen for the video is spot on too. Magnificent!

Rik

Reactions: 1 user