Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow Curtis! That's truly impressive! What a lot you've managed to squeeze in and all beautifully landscaped. Those rendered walls are a really great touch and finish it off nicely. The music you've chosen for the video is spot on too. Magnificent!

Rik
My wife said the music had a "Great British Baking Show" vibe (GBBO has a different name in the US) which I get now she said it!

Thank you. We're looking forward to it growing in to hopefully give it more depth and coverage. A few of the concrete blocks need making more aesthetically pleasing. As we're in Jersey I'm going to try and use some 12mm clippings to create a miniaturised Jersey pink granite wall. Not sure how it will go but should be a learning experience:
360_F_260072471_Md1VhfNgUOPSORcxsXBbvGj5Cw56Xewj.jpg

But as I said above - your shared thoughts on the planning of your railway was very insightful.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My wife said the music had a "Great British Baking Show" vibe (GBBO has a different name in the US) which I get now she said it!

Thank you. We're looking forward to it growing in to hopefully give it more depth and coverage. A few of the concrete blocks need making more aesthetically pleasing. As we're in Jersey I'm going to try and use some 12mm clippings to create a miniaturised Jersey pink granite wall. Not sure how it will go but should be a learning experience:
360_F_260072471_Md1VhfNgUOPSORcxsXBbvGj5Cw56Xewj.jpg

But as I said above - your shared thoughts on the planning of your railway was very insightful.
Possibly the easiest may be to investigate Resin Moulding. The tricky part is creating the master but with practice an A4 or A5 size mould should be possible. However having cast a sheet you would need then to paint each stone, though a base colour followed up by picking individual stones with different shades is possible to replicate what you have shown here.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Recently been preparing and installing the decoders and switches. I was struggling to keep everything straight in my head so decider to label and tag everything. The plan below shows me which decoders types are in different places and what they're responsible for (helped me find the best positioning):

Decoder Diagram.png

I've also got an inventory of the decoders, their IDs and which switches are connected to each terminal in the hopes that should something go wrong it should be easier to troubleshoot.
Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 22.40.24.png

The plan is all the decoders will run from a one of two bus wires that run around the garden. The only exception so far is the decoder at Heffrach which runs straight from the tracks because I've not get got around to running trunking there. Sort of operated on the principle - get it working and then get it perfect.

Last edited:

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Love seeing this on Instagram and YouTube recently and im glad to see you're on here too!

Can i ask what you use to power the railway? I thought i saw a Wireless Multimaus handset in a photo so is it a Z21?

If so just wanted to know how it copes with your railway.

Mark

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Love seeing this on Instagram and YouTube recently and im glad to see you're on here too!

Can i ask what you use to power the railway? I thought i saw a Wireless Multimaus handset in a photo so is it a Z21?

If so just wanted to know how it copes with your railway.

Mark
Why thank you. It's the fine folks on this forum that have provided a lot of support and guidance.

I used a Wireless Multimaus from Roco, yes. It connects to a Z21 system built by MD-Electronics. Most of my digital equipment is from there (aside from a few LGB decoders that came with locos).

I have:
  • MZSpro (8amp)
  • MZSpro Booster (8amp) not yet installed
I also use their switch decoders (4 and 8 terminals) and have in storage their detection modules which will be added later..

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Excellent job all round on your garden railway, labelling the point decoders is not just German Efficiency, good old fashioned English common sense.

With regard to the MD VKW, not sure how recent your acquisitions are, had the great pleasure to meet Marius Dege at the recent three day Garden Railway Festival 2022 - LGB Friends Lower Rhine at the Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum.

One of his more recent improvements/enhancements is to replace the 3D printed housings with injection moulded ones, he very kindly replaced all of mine there and then.

Info supplied as an aide de memoire, for when you next contact him or place an order, you could make a polite request about acquiring the later injection moulding housings should you require them.

MD mXion VKW.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Almost the same, I have just started a spreadsheet of my locos with details of Rx fitted, appropriate Tx, battery types and charge requirements, I am sure alzheimer's will kick one day :)
Good plan, mine is all on cards for each loco that I use to record usage and charging. Tried spreadsheet for recording usage time etc but that was a faff as I had to write it down anyway. BUT putting the basics of what is in each loco is now on my ‘round to it’ list.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent job all round on your garden railway, labelling the point decoders is not just German Efficiency, good old fashioned English common sense.

With regard to the MD VKW, not sure how recent your acquisitions are, had the great pleasure to meet Marius Dege at the recent three day Garden Railway Festival 2022 - LGB Friends Lower Rhine at the Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum.

One of his more recent improvements/enhancements is to replace the 3D printed housings with injection moulded ones, he very kindly replaced all of mine there and then.

Info supplied as an aide de memoire, for when you next contact him or place an order, you could make a polite request about acquiring the later injection moulding housings should you require them.

View attachment 299580
Thank you! That's really appreciated. Yeah, the labelling has already helped a few times when looking for issues so glad I spent the time on it!

I need to check. My last batch seemed 'improved' but I hadn't payed too much attention to it. Moulded ones could be it! I think I have a handful of the older casing but I'll check and ask for me next order!

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, next Saturday is our first public open day so we've trying to get things in line. We've been in and out the garden (baring two weeks in the US) and the recent weather seems to have helped things establish.

I finally managed to make the grade crossing. I won't like, not exactly the best job in the world but I've wanted something like this since I was a kid. If anyone remember's the chap from Poulton-le-Fylde that used to be in the back of the LGB catalogues in the 00's - that's where I first saw it. Main thing - it works!IMG_1547.JPGIMG_1563.JPG

We also did a mini-open evening a month or so ago. We opened the garden to friends and family and mostly spent the evening enjoying drinks and snacks. I'm happy to say the trains ran continuously with only 1 or 2 derailments (in the same spot) but was an enjoyable evening
IMG_1591 2.JPGIMG_1592 2.JPGIMG_1593 2.JPGIMG_1596 2.JPGIMG_1598.JPGIMG_1602 2.JPG

I've also fixed the tracks down under the work bench and wired them in. This was done just before our break to the US
IMG_4732.JPEG

Here are some shots of the garden from a few weeks ago showing how the plants are starting to establish. We're really looking forward to where everything is next summer with more time for nature to do its thing! (although Nikki pointed out the number of weeds there suggest it is already doing it!)
IMG_1867.JPGIMG_1866.JPGIMG_1872.JPGIMG_1874.JPG

Finally, some from last weekend. I managed to get both Monbifeld and Steintal station switches connected to the decoders allowing for remote control. You can spy idlemarvel idlemarvel 's rails in the background which was keeping me company during the work.
IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2031.JPG

This week, our building is going to pop round and cut some more paving tiles to act as platforms. You can see an example of on in the last picture and it's not too bad for effect!

Attachments

• IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    606.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks a treat, you've done really well in a relatively short time

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My view entirely, come a very long way in a pretty short period of time. Just shows what a focused mind can achieve.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Much appreciated. I don't think the pictures above are the best and certainly some tidying needed (these were quick shots) such as some exposed concrete blocks, wonky buildings and exposed plastic but we've had a lot of fun realising a childhood dream!

One thing I've realised, there is a fun diversity of skills required in this hobby but the one job I've not enjoyed was laying the cable trucking

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Almost the same, I have just started a spreadsheet of my locos with details of Rx fitted, appropriate Tx, battery types and charge requirements, I am sure alzheimer's will kick one day :)
Apparently, regular problem solving helps keep it away, so don't get too organised.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday we held our first open day. Here are some pictures from the evening when people had left. The garden and layout was in a nice state so was able to captures some shots!

IMG_2059.JPGIMG_2062.JPGIMG_2063.JPGIMG_2065.JPGIMG_2066.JPGIMG_2067.JPGIMG_2070.JPGIMG_2075.JPGIMG_2076.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2086.JPGIMG_2082.JPGIMG_2083.JPGIMG_2084.JPGIMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

Finally, a couple of shots of the evening before the open day - I managed to finally get the lights on the bridge and some of the station lighting working! Nikki is very happy with the overall effect!
IMG_2042.JPGIMG_2041.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recently came into possession of a GoPro. The first (and best) use case I could think of was getting a driver's eye view of the layout.

I also wanted to share the gift my wife got me for our first (Paper) anniversary. She had someone do a digital pencil drawing the track plan and then got it printed ~A2 size. Here is the digital copy though which I think they did a great job of!
nicolerothier.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice touch to put the track plan with the vid, great to have a trip round your line. Sorry but I had to turn the music sound off. Personally I find that music irritates me with railway vids of all kinds. But other than that which is a personal thing a great vid. Next time what about a time lapse? They can be a lot of fun.