Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been off the forum as much recently with renovations and work taking priority. However, I wanted to share the current state of the garage as I'm really happy how it has turned out!

The Garage is approximately 4.8m x 2.9m. As part of the renovations to the house we sealed up the garage door and insulated the room. It is now, primarily a place for all my clutter (read garden rail things!) as well as the laundry.

On the left as you walk in are metal shelves for most of the collection. The bench you see (currently with lots of plastic boxes) will be cleared away over the coming weeks and will form x3 storage tracks giving around 10m of sidings. Where the chair is the tracks will converge into a single track and exit the garage through a portal to the railway.

I'm in the slow process of unpacking all of my bits and tools from boxes but so far has made a nice workspace. right of the bench (where you see the second shelf) will be where I spend most of the time working and I'll shorten the top track to be only a testing/programming track when we're able to make the most of the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lucky you, having all that room

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Takes time to settle - in..
You are mentioned in despatches. - GSS Journal.. How is the post to the Channel Islands?

Enjoy!

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm extremely lucky and appreciate I have the opportunity/space to explore our hobby like this.

Ah, my copy of the journal hasn't arrived yet. I did see a few posts that others have received them so I'm keeping an eye out! Generally post isn't too bad (although Amazon usually takes a day longer on the estimates)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well, at least it means there is a light in the back of the wardrobe!
:D:D:D

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
I'm stuck with being one-dimensional
Well, look at it this way, your efforts and attentions can be applied to perfecting that one dimension instead of being divides and pulled hither and yon through multiple dimensions.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
But don't you have a basement? We all know they're the entrance to the underworld
Beelzebub barred the gate on t'other side. Muttered something about not needing the competition. :devil:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well... in that theme, it's not a wardrobe but talking of portals to other worlds, this is how we access the garage....

Be interested to know a little more about the bookshelf. Was it present when you moved in or did you build iy. I assume some very good strong casters are on the base with good strong hinges to the left wall. Other than that I assume construction not too tricky though keeping the floor unmarked where the door wheels in an ark would be a requirement for such a thing if it were to hide a secret location. Lots of vids of these things on YouTube but not found any with construction tips as yet.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
We had it built during the renovations. When the wall to the left was built we had a vertical brace put in. We then used hidden hinges (x3 at the pivot point). There are 2 caster wheels underneath. The one at the far end is a fraction lower and takes most of the weight (the floor isn't perfectly even).

The book pivots forward at the front and pulls on a steel wire that runs vertically back and then 90o round a metal bar and pulls a latch behind that keeps it closed. I cam make a video if it helps visualise it more?

It does mark the wood floor but mostly with dust. Rubbing it with a web cloth almost completely removes the marks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We had it built during the renovations. When the wall to the left was built we had a vertical brace put in. We then used hidden hinges (x3 at the pivot point). There are 2 caster wheels underneath. The one at the far end is a fraction lower and takes most of the weight (the floor isn't perfectly even).

The book pivots forward at the front and pulls on a steel wire that runs vertically back and then 90o round a metal bar and pulls a latch behind that keeps it closed. I cam make a video if it helps visualise it more?

It does mark the wood floor but mostly with dust. Rubbing it with a web cloth almost completely removes the marks.
Yes please, always had a mind to do something like this. Makes a great place to keep valuable things securely in a house, better than a safe.