HSB goes indoors

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
I’m now at the stage where I need to decide on point control. When I laid the track all the points already had LGB point motors attached. I also had several MTS 55025 point decoders which had been outside for 10 years, then stored for 5 more years.. I tried to reprogramme them using my ancient MTS system but with no success. However, as the 55025’s still responded to the addresses used on my previous layout, I was able to use them. Hence I wired them in, although the point adresses are not very logical for the indoor layout. By powering them off the track there are no cross baseboard wires, which is very helpful.

I only have 5 points, two form crossovers and one for entry into a siding. They are on three different baseboards with one crossover being on the board that lifts out for access.

I’m now starting to reconsider the point control. Ideally I would like the points to have a indicator attached (as on the HSB) to better show which way they are set. I’m not sure how to do this.

As all my MTS stuff is about 15 years old and I guess will expire at some point, I’m wondering if it would be better to remove the point motors and have the points manually operated? I could do this quite easily using a rod under the baseboard. Any thoughts appreciated.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
th
Bachmann is well thought out.. I have converted most of mine.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
How about the Bertram Heyn point indicators (wiechenlanterne), they work really well and look the part:
Die Modellbau-Werkstatt Bertram Heyn: Alles Schöne für die Gartenbahn. Weichenlaterne links
Die Modellbau-Werkstatt Bertram Heyn: Alles Schöne für die Gartenbahn. Weichenlaterne rechts
They fit onto LGB point motors if you buy this bit as well:
Die Modellbau-Werkstatt Bertram Heyn: Alles Schöne für die Gartenbahn. Adapterplatte Weichenlaterne-Elekroantrieb
Bit pricey at €25 a time
I did a review of them a while back. I'll see if I can find that thread.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks idlemarvel, they look perfect. Presumably on the first version the lever works the point. For just 5 points the cost is fine.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks idlemarvel, they look perfect. Presumably on the first version the lever works the point. For just 5 points the cost is fine.
I was pretty well thinking along those lines as well. On an Exhibition Layout simplicity and reliability are a must. Donkeys years old Point Decoders and perhaps Motors as well are a big failure possibility. I have done a lot of Shows with my small 0 Gauge Layout that had Handrolically Ooerated Point Levers and used to get many comments about how reliable my Layout was and that the Trains never stopped running. Lesson learnt. Plus guest Operators will not be faffing about trying to remember how to change those 5 points on a DCC System, just watch a few show layouts where much time is wasted faffing with a handset and getting it wrong with DCC Operated Points. Your Ooerators will have enough workmon just running the Trains.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Correct, you can either operate the lantern, point levers weight and point by hand (first two links) or the lantern and point by motor (third link).
Here is the link to my earlier review of these products.
Bertram Heyn Point Signal and Lever - G Scale Central

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I’m now at the stage where I need to decide on point control. When I laid the track all the points already had LGB point motors attached. I also had several MTS 55025 point decoders which had been outside for 10 years, then stored for 5 more years.. I tried to reprogramme them using my ancient MTS system but with no success. However, as the 55025’s still responded to the addresses used on my previous layout, I was able to use them. Hence I wired them in, although the point adresses are not very logical for the indoor layout. By powering them off the track there are no cross baseboard wires, which is very helpful.

I only have 5 points, two form crossovers and one for entry into a siding. They are on three different baseboards with one crossover being on the board that lifts out for access.

I’m now starting to reconsider the point control. Ideally I would like the points to have a indicator attached (as on the HSB) to better show which way they are set. I’m not sure how to do this.

As all my MTS stuff is about 15 years old and I guess will expire at some point, I’m wondering if it would be better to remove the point motors and have the points manually operated? I could do this quite easily using a rod under the baseboard. Any thoughts appreciated.
You could operate each one of your crossovers on one output from your 55025 decoder, by wiring both point motors together. I have done this myself. You then will need only one 4 output decoder for your 5 points.

The 55025 decoder can only be programmed with sequential addresses, so 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc, but I'm informed the Massoth version can be programmed in any random order....

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all your help guys.

Part of the problem I have with the decoders is that I programmed them when I built my garden railway, changing many of the outputs to switch two points instead of one and setting lots of them to turn building lights on and off. When I tried to reprogramme them recently they would not accept the changes.

My five points are on three baseboards, so to avoid any wires across the baseboards, I tried to put a decoder on each of the three boards.

As Jon said, all my electronics are very old which could well be a problem in future.

I’ve just ordered one of those point levers from Germany to try.

One of our drivers was taken ill couple of days ago, so I’m covering her 1300 - 2200hrs shift for the next few days which leaves little time for modelling.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like i’m going to be at home for the next few days. Rushing to the loo this morning I slipped on our wooden staircase. A quick trip to hospital revealed no broken bones, but my left foot is badly bruised. So some extra modelling time, but I can’t stand or walk easily.

I’m giving some thought to this area.

5BC4B100-1A5E-4FEC-B431-341FAAC675BA.jpeg

From left to right we have the coaling stage, loco stabling track, area of open baseboard, running line, siding to factory. For the baseboard in the middle I’m thinking of a small building for the loco crews and a bike rack to the right of it (roughly placed in the photo). However, I’ve just had an idea, the loco stabling track would look better with a pit. Would be a fair bit of work though. Needs more thought.

The point decoder is due for removal and replacement with one of the point levers from modell-werkstadt.de suggested in an earlier post. It arrived today, but I forgot to order the baseplate for it. Looking at their website to order the baseplate revealed that they have many other useful items, eg the ‘H’ and ‘W’ signal boards. Could get expensive.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like i’m going to be at home for the next few days. Rushing to the loo this morning I slipped on our wooden staircase. A quick trip to hospital revealed no broken bones, but my left foot is badly bruised. So some extra modelling time, but I can’t stand or walk easily.

I’m giving some thought to this area.

View attachment 245737

From left to right we have the coaling stage, loco stabling track, area of open baseboard, running line, siding to factory. For the baseboard in the middle I’m thinking of a small building for the loco crews and a bike rack to the right of it (roughly placed in the photo). However, I’ve just had an idea, the loco stabling track would look better with a pit. Would be a fair bit of work though. Needs more thought.

The point decoder is due for removal and replacement with one of the point levers from modell-werkstadt.de suggested in an earlier post. It arrived today, but I forgot to order the baseplate for it. Looking at their website to order the baseplate revealed that they have many other useful items, eg the ‘H’ and ‘W’ signal boards. Could get expensive.
Just run that excuse by me again :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
110587_c9f5c1f76c67f2001c42e429edd24cd1.jpeg

I'm seeing this @ the end of the first track ( left )
th

or a flat ..
1542726410602.jpeg
or a mirror
th

Reactions: 1 users

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
The mirror/flats idea will not work in that corner, because if I exhibit it people will be viewing the layout from the outside. However, there is another part of the layout where I may well use the idea - thanks for the suggestion.

I’m still hobbling about and can’t stand for long, but i have made a bit of progress on the scenery and painting buildings.

Meanwhile I’m still thinking about that corner, the idea of a pit in the track (ashpit rather than servicing) by the coaling stage is still under consideration.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Recently I recieved these from Modellbau-Werkstadtt in Germany.

E0E7D28D-8BE1-489B-A3E4-BCF9748A2C80.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
That made me smile.

I wonder what 7km of LGB track would cost? Would need to convert my locos to battery power because of the voltage drop through the rails.

I like the idea but I don’t think it would go down well at home!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That made me smile.

I wonder what 7km of LGB track would cost? Would need to convert my locos to battery power because of the voltage drop through the rails.

I like the idea but I don’t think it would go down well at home!
Well, you bought the mile posts :devil::devil::devil:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Kilometre posts, Shirley?
;):p:nod::nod:
Well, I s'pose so ................... but it's one heck of a mouthful :confused:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hektometertafel in German