David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I s'pose so ................... but it's one heck of a mouthful :confused:

Not as bad as 'Peter Piper permanently placed placard posts pertaining particularly to path positioning'.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not as bad as 'Peter Piper permanently placed placard posts pertaining particularly to path positioning'.

David
That's milestone masochism :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
No work on the railway for a few weeks until today. The break was caused by having our bathroom rebuilt. We moved out for a week so the builder could work without having to refit a loo every night, however we are only just back in the house after 3 weeks, fortunatly my Dad lives nearby and has a spare room. The builder lifted the old floor covering to reveal the floorboards; most were rotten. He removed them and discovered the joists were rotten too, so its turned out to be a much bigger job than expected, no doubt the bill will be big too. However its good that the rotten timber was found, otherwise someone might have sat on the loo which promptly fell through the floor.

I decided that a pit in the loco servicing area would be a good idea and make the layout visually more interesting. So I’ve cut a hole and glued in the pit sidewalls. Rather than remove part of a baseboard cross member, I’ve left it in place and have a plan to disguise it. Still lots of work needed to finish it.

36C426D2-CAB7-41B0-8915-5D5F977C7097.jpeg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly a little late to mention it now, but Bertram Heyn does some very nice loco servicing pit kits.....

Jon.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon,

Yes I saw those, but they were too long and too deep to use. I could possibly have modified his kit but decided it would be easier and cheaperto build my own. He does have some really nice things for sale. When I was building the platforms I really wanted the distinctive HSB platform sides, but couldn’t find any, but have since discovered he sells them.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
At last some progress on the layout.

Prior to Christmas I was working on the coaling stage baseboard, this work came to a halt waiting for some critical bits to arrive. While I was waiting I turned my attention to another part of the layout; one of the long sides has just a small area between baseboard edge and track. I couldn’t do the scenics here until I had made a backscene, even though the backscene will only be used if I exhibit the layout. The backscene is a row of buildings 7 feet long. I discovered Pola make three low relief building kits, so I ordered all three. Once they arrived it was clear they would only cover about half the required length, plus they were too deep. But I had a plan in mind before ordering them.

Most of the buildings kits were three stories high, my plan was to make them only two stories high, partly so they wouldn’t dominate the layout, partly because I hoped to use the ‘spare’ stories to make some extra buildings. This has been much harder work than I expected, simply because of the sheer size of G scale buildings and because the plastic is so thick it takes a fair effort to cut it. Below you can see progress to date.

B593E2A7-E99D-4E21-9686-03DA952116E1.jpeg

The two buildings on the left have been built largely as intended, except I’ve reduced the depth and omitted one story. The two buildings on the right are from one kit. The lower building is mainly built as intended less one story. The top one is the third story from the kit with a new lower level built out of balsa wood. Obviously its not finished yet.

One thing which is troubling me is, how do I make the roofs, they are only 1 to 2 inches deep. I could try and cut the Pola roof sections down, but the mouldings are about 5mm thick, plus I need to angle the back by about 40 degrees to fit flush against the backscene. Any suggestions welcome.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well you could cut the Roof Sections at the approx angle. You could use a jig saw set at the correct angle discovered by cutting some old ply. But when you cut the Roof slowly slowly and you will not melt the Plastic.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You could make the roof sections the size and angle you want using cereal box card or similar and use that as a template against the Pola plastic roof sections.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Card template then jigsaw, hadn’t thought of that. I’ll give it a go, many thanks.

Meanwhile I’ve added render to the bottom half of one of the low relief buildings using a mix of pva, silica sand and paint. Its not dry yet.

E3549D91-2C17-4B2B-A7F1-8E1E0BB949AC.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Those Pola models do capture the look and feel of old German houses very well. Those could have been taken straight from many of the streets of Wernigerode.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Not the best of days today, and not just on the G Scale. I made a card template for the first roof, marked up the Pola roof and got my jigsaw out. Unfortunatly it only has one speed, too fast. It cut through the plastic fine at 45 degrees, but in doing so the plastic softened and joined back together after the blade had gone past. Now on plan B, make the roofs using embossed plastic sheet strengthened with balsa. Lets see if tomorrow is a better day.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not the best of days today, and not just on the G Scale. I made a card template for the first roof, marked up the Pola roof and got my jigsaw out. Unfortunatly it only has one speed, too fast. It cut through the plastic fine at 45 degrees, but in doing so the plastic softened and joined back together after the blade had gone past. Now on plan B, make the roofs using embossed plastic sheet strengthened with balsa. Lets see if tomorrow is a better day.
But would that not have made a reduced area that you could have put a saw through? Worth a try me thinks. One of those thin jet saws should do the trick if you have one. Or even a nice new Hack Saw Blade held with some wood and gaffa tape.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Try by hand with a backless razor saw.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Worthwhile investments, especially for working with large plastic kits..................

Japanese Saws - Tools & Machines - Yandle & Sons Ltd
Yus I recently bought one from Aldi I think (well before Xmas anyway). They also appear from time to time in Lidl. Would be just the job, the Jigsaw will have weakened the roof and have inserted an angle even though it will have appeared to have rewelded itself together.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
A whole day with no (paid) work and the house to myself. Made good progress on the buildings.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
My low relief buildings include three shop windows, any suggestions on how to model the window displays would be appreciated.

I’m thinking one could be a model shop, perhaps I could photograph my LGB boxes, them print them out and make miniature LGB boxes. But them I would need some tiny locos and coaches.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My low relief buildings include three shop windows, any suggestions on how to model the window displays would be appreciated.

I’m thinking one could be a model shop, perhaps I could photograph my LGB boxes, them print them out and make miniature LGB boxes. But them I would need some tiny locos and coaches.
You could take a picture of a Shop Window and print that with some of the small Boxes you propose strewn around. Another option for some small Trains would be to try a Dolls House Shop or even crude carvings from Wood or odd bits of Plastic Sprue. Wagons and Coaches would be easier with the carving method.