How would you advise someone converting to digital?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You say there it has an eMotion L driving decoder, do you know what sound module it has and how it is connected? If the sound module (say an eMotion S) connects directly to the track then there may be a fight in responding to CV reads from both decoders.

If it is a LGB factory sound (not sure if these ever had any) could the whistle and sounds be triggered with a FA1 signal (the A1 output of the decoder goes to the sound board and the sound board plays specific sounds based upon the number of changes in the output). Try triggering FA1 several times in succession quite quickly. You may need to set the Fast Serial Pulse Chain option in the configuration of the L decoder if this is the case.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
If it is setup for 'LGB commands'. - Some from the factory settings can be:
F6 for sound off/on
F5 for 'side noises' - coal shovelling etc. when stationary.

If you press function key one, twice, with a slight delay between the two presses, do you get the bell? - This would suggest the sound part of the installation is set for serial.
Nope , none of those three actions work in that way

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
You say there it has an eMotion L driving decoder, do you know what sound module it has and how it is connected? If the sound module (say an eMotion S) connects directly to the track then there may be a fight in responding to CV reads from both decoders.

If it is a LGB factory sound (not sure if these ever had any) could the whistle and sounds be triggered with a FA1 signal (the A1 output of the decoder goes to the sound board and the sound board plays specific sounds based upon the number of changes in the output). Try triggering FA1 several times in succession quite quickly. You may need to set the Fast Serial Pulse Chain option in the configuration of the L decoder if this is the case.

muns muns , @John S , again thanks for suggestions. Might be worth just summarising the history of this loco. It's from the ZB Sammler edition and I bought the whole set on eBay. The previous owner clearly invested in it as the coaches came with lighting and good quality figures, and all was in top condition. The guy who does all the stuff I can't do, such as fitting chips, took a look and identified the fitted Massoth decoder. Unfortunately he didnt specify (maybe because I didnt ask) what sound module it was attached to. This model definitely has factory sound, here is the shot from the instruction leaflet that comes with the boxed set. If you look there it shows what should happen on Fkey 8, whereas what is actually happening is the half speed shunt, and that is the only key from 2-8 inclusive that activates anything. So somebody has altered something. However..I have a standard ZB no 2 which now has Massoth chip and sound and so I've just run it ahead of No 1 to compare sound. While the whistle is exactly the same, the main driving sound is completely different, the Massoth equipped loco has a much faster rhythm of chuffs and the chuffs are less emphatic than on no 1. So I guess that tells me that the sound module No 1 is activating is not Massoth, and likely is the original LGB?

Well I know by now you are all saying, "Just open her up and tell us what the sound module is!!!" , but I don't dare take that on, especially when my repair guy charges so little (£6.50 to install a chip and sound module), so unless there is anything else I can now follow up "externally" maybe I will leave it until the season ends and let him work out what is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
muns muns , @John S , again thanks for suggestions. Might be worth just summarising the history of this loco. It's from the ZB Sammler edition and I bought the whole set on eBay. The previous owner clearly invested in it as the coaches came with lighting and good quality figures, and all was in top condition. The guy who does all the stuff I can't do, such as fitting chips, took a look and identified the fitted Massoth decoder. Unfortunately he didnt specify (maybe because I didnt ask) what sound module it was attached to. This model definitely has factory sound, here is the shot from the instruction leaflet that comes with the boxed set. If you look there it shows what should happen on Fkey 8, whereas what is actually happening is the half speed shunt, and that is the only key from 2-8 inclusive that activates anything. So somebody has altered something. However..I have a standard ZB no 2 which now has Massoth chip and sound and so I've just run it ahead of No 1 to compare sound. While the whistle is exactly the same, the main driving sound is completely different, the Massoth equipped loco has a much faster rhythm of chuffs and the chuffs are less emphatic than on no 1. So I guess that tells me that the sound module No 1 is activating is not Massoth, and likely is the original LGB?

Well I know by now you are all saying, "Just open her up and tell us what the sound module is!!!" , but I don't dare take that on, especially when my repair guy charges so little (£6.50 to install a chip and sound module), so unless there is anything else I can now follow up "externally" maybe I will leave it until the season ends and let him work out what is happening.

ignore see below.

Last edited:

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add i think i have found the answer from something Muns posted way back, see post 25 from 2011.

Going to try it when i get home on a mallet that i have with an identical issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add i think i have found the answer from something Muns posted way back, see post 25 from 2011.

Going to try it when i get home on a mallet that i have with an identical issue.

Please let me know how it goes. muns muns did mention that above on this thread too. In my case the simple phrase "To do this set CV49 to value 11." is still terrifying, but I will have to learn. Anyway I am off this weekend on the rails (checking out the Waldviertelbahn) so I'll let you have a crack first before I go and drive myself mad grappling with my Navi.

I wish you all a great weekend.

Reactions: 1 user

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Worked like a charm ,

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to have assisted.

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
So flushed with excitement at finally understanding how to get at and change CVs on a Navi, I have tried (apparently successfully) to change the overall sound level on a Massoth chipped Stainz. I did this by selecting the loco and going to
M1 Decoder prog /M1 Loco Address/M1 CVRead+Prog/M2 CV-Nr; enter 200, M2 again to Value

But here is my question. When i get to that point the Value is always blank. It is now, on checking. Why does it not show the previously set up Value? Anyway i put in the desired sound level, press M2, a tick appears and then M3 back to the driving screen. And I changed the sound level several times, it works. But would you not expect an existing value to come up?. Would that not help users?

( I am convinced there is some secret Massoth Society, complete with a funny handshake, you guys are all in it and I am not! :) _

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
After you have entered the CV number you want to change, does the label on the M1 button change to "CV->" ? If it does press it and it should read the value of that CV back from the decoder.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So flushed with excitement at finally understanding how to get at and change CVs on a Navi, I have tried (apparently successfully) to change the overall sound level on a Massoth chipped Stainz. I did this by selecting the loco and going to
M1 Decoder prog /M1 Loco Address/M1 CVRead+Prog/M2 CV-Nr; enter 200, M2 again to Value

But here is my question. When i get to that point the Value is always blank. It is now, on checking. Why does it not show the previously set up Value? Anyway i put in the desired sound level, press M2, a tick appears and then M3 back to the driving screen. And I changed the sound level several times, it works. But would you not expect an existing value to come up?. Would that not help users?

( I am convinced there is some secret Massoth Society, complete with a funny handshake, you guys are all in it and I am not! :) _

Bit more info required as i cent remember the details of the whole thread but is it a factory sound Stainz with a Massoth none sound decoder (i.e. L decoder) or a full Massoth sound decoder (i.e. LS decoder) , also assume we are using the full Massoth system not MTSIII with a Massoth handset?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Damn! Chaps, I think he's on to us..... :D

Seriously, I think many of us just blunder on through with little idea of what we are actually doing, so in that respect I think you're already part of the Secret Society.

Now, who should we elect as our Grand High Todger*...?

Jon.

* A virtual coconut to anyone who remembers where that reference comes from!

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
After you have entered the CV number you want to change, does the label on the M1 button change to "CV->" ? If it does press it and it should read the value of that CV back from the decoder.

YES! Thank you sir! I do need to start watching that row at the bottom of the screen for such label changes

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now, who should we elect as our Grand High Todger*...?

Might need our David to investigate that one..

Though you might need to be careful of the Mods. - Don't want to cross any thin blue lines.

<edit>
Think it might have been Chief Todger, though? :think::nerd:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Might need our David to investigate that one..

Though you might need to be careful of the Mods. - Don't want to cross any thin blue lines.

<edit>
Think it might have been Chief Todger, though? :think::nerd:

Good spot, Phil, you win the Virtual Coconut! I was working from memory rather than researching it, so you may very well be right on the name... :D

Without actually going back and viewing the scene in question, I do have a memory of the wonderful Melvyn Hayes (as the aformentioned Todger) imperiously intoning:
"Close the Turkey's legs.... its bottom shall not be kissed tonight!"

They just don't write 'em like that any more. :eek:

Jon.

Last edited: