Electric W&L Countess, first pictures from Accucraft UK

knotty 823

Registered
24 May 2011
Best answers
ce905c167f5e4bcfbd740fd31890792d.jpg
cef1ecec5267438786d75e7521d57466.jpg
hi all truely stunning models well worth the wait:clap:
whats better then one ?two of em an brought by my parents for my4oth birthday .ps notice llanfair shed base they sitting on

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Keith yes easy acres but not to the motor. To wire it up needs the body off. Once it's in though if you wire it to a socket it's easy to sort any issues.

Dave, I've been spending all afternoon trying not to ring John again! I'd have two in black to be honest, . . . . Where's the bank book? ;)

knotty 823

Registered
24 May 2011
Best answers
paul do what i did lol told me parents you cant have one without the other lol so father agreed :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
OK here we go, first the bad news. Running on anything other than snooker table flat track and/or with LGB/Piko points is pretty hopeless straight out of the box. The main problem is that the centre (unflanged) wheel set does not have pick-ups, even though they do touch the track. This means that the SLIGHTEST uneveness in the track causes the middle wheels to act like a brake, electrical continuity is lost and the loco comes to a very sudden halt. This also occurs on the LGB/Piko points when the fine scale wheels drop into the frog.

I rigged up a set of pick-ups on the centre wheels (bodged might be a better description) and running was GREATLY improved.

3d1c827053e743c9a0a3fd04eadd35e3.jpg

Another tip for those who haven't run this loco yet is to give the running gear a good oiling before use as everything tends to be very stiff.

Adding the pick-ups isn't the biggest job in the world, but should you have to do such things to a loco costing this much money? What irks me slightly is that this is the sort of thing we've seen from Accucraft before going right back to the Baguley diesel. It does make me wonder what testing they do during the design phase? Do they use a garden railway, or a perfectly flat indoor layout perhaps using nothing but Peco points? For them to have fitted extra pick-ups to the centre wheels wouldn't have been the biggest job in the world surely?

I always had it in mind that my Countess would eventually be battery RC'd anyway and now that's pretty much certain. Having said that though, I'm going to have to be very careful with which battery pack I choose as the motor in this model just eats amps. I don't know which motor they use, but I wouldn't mind betting it's not a Buhler?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Enough of the negativity, now for the good news. Well the main thing is that this has got to be one of the best models on the market. As Steve rightly says, it wouldn't look out of place in a museum cabinet. I just can't get enough of that cab interior and I hope the crew I got especially for it do it justice.

4934ea4131124b7c810e442543a9a461.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Now the bit that I've been waiting for for months - some shots of the Countess crossing Church Street and passing through the Narrows.

507e3f3410e94ea28ceab2d67f5862d2.jpg

0df8d4fac3df4f8ebe71d19b50616991.jpg

a06abc84bca345b98c972f178166dc3a.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Out on the line, crossing Foggy Bottom viaduct ...........

b59fdf5cecd64d62adc2ecc485603aa4.jpg

............ rounding the curve by the stone circle near Stumpy Junction ..........

039d98e5a1d14b81b921e046579fbb1a.jpg

........... and shunting a wagon for the cattle market.

c6d4b3b5de9b4ff887f0c9ec89e613ca.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
And finally, a couple of shots in Wetton station which may be useful for James and others. Posed with a couple of Welshpool(ish) LGB coaches and alongside my Corpet for a size comparison.

687a3a123bb24549a2b477c21b4f1db2.jpg

d013c43fe79441d9a8aaa63df2cf82f8.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Big question is "is it worth it?". I'd have to say yes, especially when compared to other brass construction limited run models that have been produced in the past. It's just such a shame that it could have had so much better running qualities if Accucraft were to just do a little more research and more rigorous testing. I understand that they were quite surprised by the demand for an electric version of the Countess, but now they know that a market for such models exists (even in these cash strapped times!). They just need to go that extra nine yards and they could be market leaders for British outline electrical power IMO.

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Re:Electric W&L Countess, first piuctures from Accucraft UK

stockers said:
Looks mighty smart. I remember not so long ago people asking for British narrow gauge locos. With the IOM ones, there seem to be a few to pick from now.:D

Yes but sadly no Manning Wardles yet!:crying::crying::crying: The GRS one is nice but you have to build it and Accucraft has the "Rep" for producing the finer things in life.

Henrik

knotty 823

Registered
24 May 2011
Best answers
Great shots mel just what we've all been waiting to see on your layout

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The main problem is that the centre (unflanged) wheel set does not have pick-ups, even though they do touch the track.

That surprises me a little as the centre axle on the steam version is around 0.020" off the rail.

I'm going to have to be very careful with which battery pack I choose as the motor in this model just eats amps. I don't know which motor they use, but I wouldn't mind betting it's not a Buhler?

If it's as stiff as you suggest Mel, make sure it gets lots or running in, that might improve the motor situation.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
knotty 823 said:
Great shots mel just what we've all been waiting to see on your layout
Cheers mate, although I do feel a bit inadequate only having one :(:( :rofl::rofl:.

Yes, your'e quite right Bob, hopefully now that it does run OK plenty of testing will loosen everything up a bit.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Mel - lovely photos and yes perfect on your layout too - what it (and you?) have been waiting for!!!

Also very useful to see the Corpet/coach comparison shots. It rules one out for me at the moment, as the price, and requirement for new stock for it to look right just makes it a stretch to far.

Big question - when are you getting
1) Name and number plates
2) White BR (W) lamps for the buffer beam! :)

Awesome!

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Been in contact with the HobbyShop at Faversham today and mine should be arriving there tomorrow so should be able to collect on Friday followed by analogue testing on the RMMES analogue track at New Romney next Tuesday.

Reading Mel's comments above about electrical continuity, my aim is to eventually fit a decoder so maybe a Massoth power buffer (which I have on some of my smaller locos) would be useful, if not necessary.

......uhmmmm, just found out that it's not Countess that has arrived but a maroon Caledonia......

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
It looks beautiful Mel, the cab detail in particular. The wheels need blackening though I think, one of my big gripes with rtr stuff. Can't wait to run it alongside my steam version on a rake of Pickerings.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Big question - when are you getting
1) Name and number plates
2) White BR (W) lamps for the buffer beam! :)

Awesome!
Thanks for the reminder James, something I forgot to say - you get the number plates for 822 and 823, plus nameplates for The Earl, The Countess and Countess - yep, two sets of number plates and three sets of nameplates!! Even the GW transfers (even with the black version) Unbelievable. I know this probably sounds a bit picky in the circumstances, but some sort of handbook/servicing guide would have been good? For one thing it would explain what the various supplied tools and other bits are for :confused:.

As for the lamps, the ones that I usually use won't fit, so I've put out some feelers as to which ones will.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Did you find the instruction leaflet in the 'ducuments enclosed' wallet stuck to the outside of the outer box Mel? These are added in the UK - written by an Englishman!

I have flagged up the center axle pick ups request to Accucraft.

Happy steamings,

John

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Sea Lion said:
Did you find the instruction leaflet in the 'ducuments enclosed' wallet stuck to the outside of the outer box Mel? These are added in the UK - written by an Englishman!

I have flagged up the center axle pick ups request to Accucraft.

Happy steamings,

John
Hi John, just double checked, only the invoice in the wallet - definitely no instructions.

Thanks for passing on the feedback, I really hope it helps.