Hi from Coventry UK

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is my second foray into G scale, my first was a layout running around my Mum’s back garden in 1976, now long gone!
After a long break away from the Hobby, I became interested in O gauge as I now had a fairly large space in the loft that had planning permission for a model railway. So, into a British Industrial line, Cement works, which was pretty much completed when my head was turned to modelling North American prototypes…now there is a minefield just waiting to be opened…
it was very easy to change the British cement line into an American industrial line, the track plan could remain very much the same and it only needed the heightening of some of the buildings to accommodate the size of US models, even if they do use 1/50 (roughly) scale compared to 1/43.5 British scale.
I invented the road name of Mohawk Valley Railroad for this line, and it’s now being transferred to the new G scale layout built on the remnants of the former O scale layout.
My head was completely turned when I read the four part article in Railroad Modeller about modelling the Claremont and Concord Railway in G scale. The size of this layout was roughly the same as what I had with the O scale layout. It utilised overhead electric steeple cab locos and then GE 44 ton centre cab switchers. Plenty of street running as it started out as a passenger hauling interurban. I alway had a penchant for steeple cabs, but the price and scarcity of O scale models was eye watering…hang on, didn’t LGB make a steeplecab?
A bit of modellers licence was called upon and the ‘prototype for everything’ brigade ruled the day. Looking at US systems in general, it’s really amazing on the difference in size of freight stock, where one box car can tower over another. So the difference in true scale went out of the window. I reckoned that keeping it no larger than 1/22.5 or 1/24 meant that 1/29 standard gauge stock fitted in perfectly. I never was a purist!
So the electrified section of the Mohawk Valley Railroad was incorporated. Set in New York State, somewhere in the Syracuse/ Troy area, this offshoot from the main line serves a paper mill and runs on the long defunct trolley line of the town of Lake Shore.
Back to reality, and down to earth, most of the stock has been bought along with track and overhead catenary, ( isn’t LGB overhead expensive). There are currently two LGB steeplecab engines, a GE 25 ton diesel (Piko) and a GE 44 ton centre cab diesel ( USA Trains)
I‘m slowly working out the track plan as I remove the old O gauge track…but it’s a bit chilly up in the loft at the moment, so it’s kit bashing buildings and fitting knuckle couplers for the time being.
Hopefully I’ll report more in due course. Another fascinating line is the grandiosely named Texas Transportation Co line in San Antonio, Texas. 1.3 miles long and serving a brewery. Well worth looking up on YouTube.
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• D9017835-76F4-4707-B7DB-E61496822DDA.jpeg
    D9017835-76F4-4707-B7DB-E61496822DDA.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 0
  • 616166A5-487A-4A85-A754-A19C628F568B.jpeg
    616166A5-487A-4A85-A754-A19C628F568B.jpeg
    797.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 39041AF2-3C70-4760-8918-C6EB6BD70358.jpeg
    39041AF2-3C70-4760-8918-C6EB6BD70358.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 0
  • E556405A-FF81-4359-9FDA-4438F3649A4A.jpeg
    E556405A-FF81-4359-9FDA-4438F3649A4A.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Martin. You'll find a lot of advice about anything American Railways on here. Just beware of the humour!

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, that is something I’ll appreciate, being born in Liverpool and supporting the Blue side of the city!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, that is something I’ll appreciate, being born in Liverpool and supporting the Blue side of the city!
Oh dear :rofl: :rofl:
Fortunately there is no meaningful football, or indeed any sport, tribalism on here. The main cause of problems seems to the whereabouts of a lump hammer

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
:wasntme: It’s a good job I know where my lump hammer is hidden then…

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If it's chilly in the l,oft now, then it will be very hot in the summer. To solve a similar problem, I bought some rolls of reflective insulation and stapled this under the rafters. The result was a loft with a pretty uniform workable in temperature all year round.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Martin, presumably the foray into the loft will be a small step towards the garden? Lofts can be a bit ofvan issue, like the upper reaches of the Himalayas in the winter but Hardee’s hell in full summer.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
If it's chilly in the l,oft now, then it will be very hot in the summer. To solve a similar problem, I bought some rolls of reflective insulation and stapled this under the rafters. The result was a loft with a pretty uniform workable in temperature all year round.
A bit more information about the reflective insulation would be useful, its not something I had thought of bit I'll consider anything if it gives me another working space.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin and welcome, I see you have been warned of the humour ;)

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the recomendation. Tbh, it’s not that bad in the summer, I can open the skylight and the landing window and get a draught coming through.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the recomendation. Tbh, it’s not that bad in the summer, I can open the skylight and the landing window and get a draught coming through.
A skylight is very useful, for a loft railway..

It is very useful, to have a light at the end of the tunnel!
(you were warned!)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Martin....

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
A skylight is very useful, for a loft railway..

It is very useful, to have a light at the end of the tunnel!
(you were warned!)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP
Yes, I was going to run the line around the loft with a rack system going out of the skylight, circumnavigating the roof and ending up at an observation platform at the base of the chimney…but the gradient was too much even for a rack system. So I installed a cable car (Rigi) system instead. The only problem was that closing the skylight cut the cables and I was forever re stringing it. In the end, the cable was so short that it never got to the chimney base, so I gave up and decided to stay inside… :devil:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard !

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more information about the reflective insulation would be useful, its not something I had thought of bit I'll consider anything if it gives me another working space.
Here are some photos, David. You'll need an electric stapling gun ideally for fixing. You'll find the loft is a much brighter place, too, when the lights are on.

DSCF6702.JPGDSCF6703.JPGDSCF6704.JPG