Pearse W&L "Countess" - Does anyone have a copy of the operating instructions?

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
This may seem a bit of a daft question from someone calling himself "The mechanic"....

I have recently acquired a beautiful example of a Pearse "Countess" locomotive. The loco is a work of art however, upon looking into the cab I find myself somewhat lost. Being used to Roundhouse and Accucraft products, "Countess" is rather different in that there is no reverser lever, a curious regulator valve setup and other bits that are either missing or different in layout to the familiar RH or Accucraft "norm". So, what I could really do with is a copy of any original operating instructions, if such things where ever issued?

I am therefore asking if anyone out there has a set of operating instructions for the locomotive that they would be willing to let me have a copy of please? The locomotive deserves to be set up and run properly. I can quite easily raise steam and oil round etc. but it's what I do next which is a bit unclear at the moment and I do not want to do any damage to my new acquisition.

Dave

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have the instructions, but I believe those locos have a Regner/Beck style reverser/throttle valve. Open the throttle one direction and it goes forward, the other direction is reverse. The more you open it, the faster it goes.

There's a description on Marc's Gallery pages.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have the instructions, but I believe those locos have a Regner/Beck style reverser/throttle valve. Open the throttle one direction and it goes forward, the other direction is reverse. The more you open it, the faster it goes.

There's a description on Marc's Gallery pages.
I though that as well, did not the Pearse guy move on from Merlin taking some of the ideas with him? Merlin locs certainly had a single servo with fwd/rev/accelerate all in one go. My party trick at some open days was to do double headers with 2 Merlin locs and 1 RC, one on each stick. Happy days.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you write to Ian Pearse of Accucraft UK, at their HQ in Herefordshire, I'm sure he'll be able to help you - after all, he probably built it.