Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Re:Electric W&L Countess, first piuctures from Accucraft UK

Tony Walsham said:
funandtrains said:
Personally even though I like live steam too I would say that the electric version is much more appealing:

[*]You can keep it running for hours on end.[*]Live steam locos are fun but not relaxing where as sitting in a garden chair watching a electric loco slowly pull around a train is.[*]The electric version is a more accurate model.[*]The electric model can be used inside.[*]The electric version will last longer without repair.[*]It won't leave a trail of oily water behind it.[*]It will run at scale speeds which will be difficult with the live steam version.[*]You can convert it to DCC.

You left the most important one out.
9. You can convert it to battery R/C. .....and run it with your live steamers on unpowered track.
A possibility I'm considering depending on how well it performs on track power ;).

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Well as usual Johns service is excellent and was it worth waiting for?

YES :)

Simply stunning! Thanks John at Trackshack and Ian & co at Accucraft for this.

31c9fd84.jpg

c291a12d.jpg

098c24ce.jpg

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
She's a thing of beauty. The cab detail is fantastic . This model raises the bar for other manufacturers. Superb.
(Saying that I would still have a steam one despite the very convincing arguments put forward for the electric beauty)

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well that looks spectacular! The level of detail on the model particularly in the cab is extraordinary.
If anyone get's a chance during testing, I'd love to know how it copes with radius 1 curves and whether folks think that installing a DCC decoder would be an option. Enjoy!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Wow she is lovely... how does she scale up against LGB rolling stock?
She's 1/19th scale James, so quite appreciably bigger. I intend to run her with the Accucraft W&L wagons which I've had for a while. They also have the chopper couplings which will help things, but I do have a couple of adaptor wagons which will allow coupling to LGB etc. so you never know? :D

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmielx fitting a decoder will be easy as their is loads of room in the boiler and you can see the motor and gearbox. Getting into it may be interesting if Caledonia is anything to go by but the motors are silent so fitting sound is a must for me :)

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Paul. I see on the Track Shack website that there are some black ones remaining. I am sorely tempted. Although I am naturally inclined towards Great Western green, your black engine looks fantastic - complete with cream cab! In many ways I am hoping that it won't go round radius one which due to limited space is the predominant curve on my line - that would keep my wallet at the appropriate weight! That said I have a couple of lovely Brandbright VoR carriages in chocolate and cream which would look smashing behind it...
Interesting about the sound, I'm note sure how much I'd use it as I rather like the locos quietly snaking around the garden (without disturbing the neighbours!) although I've never actually heard a decent sound decoder in a loco, perhaps for the same reasons as above I should keep it that way!

Cheers

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Your wallet may yet be safe James , the official radius is 3 feet , although it will be interesting to hear how anyone gets on who tries one on less, perhaps you might get down to R2 at slow speed, with care, and at your own risk, don't blame me etc!

To be honest I would be surprised if anyone manages R1 with her, but am always happy to be 'educated' .

I just love the cab interior, want to climb in and put a round of coal on the fire! Come to think of it forget the coal, try a couple of rashers of bacon on the shovel :D

Happy steamings,

John

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
R1's are absolutely no problem whatsoever. I didn't place my pre-order until I'd had James's live steam version run around the WGLR.

Having just had a running session. Not bad, but a few problems. I had to pack out one section of track (my fault) and the centre wheels are in urgent need of additional pick-ups unless your track is laid on a snooker table.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ooh does that mean piccies are on the way Mel?

ESU decoder in Cale, you'll see she slows right down as she hits the R3 curve so I suspect Countess will need similar driving to give a tiny bit more just as she enters it to run smoothly, why transition curves are better than set track.
Here's a clip to tempt you with sound James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGxJnBgcxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player < Link To http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGxJnBgcxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...e=youtube_gdata_player

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
PaulRhB said:

He's too busy converting it to battery power! :D

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The reason I ask about LGB is the link to the current W&L and the chance to run it with Zillertal coaches, and the LGB old OBB/RHB/FBB bogie coaches is tempting. I guess 1/19th is about 15mm rather than 16mm?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
The reason I ask about LGB is the link to the current W&L and the chance to run it with Zillertal coaches, and the LGB old OBB/RHB/FBB bogie coaches is tempting. I guess 1/19th is about 15mm rather than 16mm?

Other way round James. 1/19th of 304.8mm (1 foot) is 16.04mm=1 foot. 15mm to the foot is the US scale for modelling 3 foot gauge lines on 45mm track (1/20.32th if you want to be a fraction).
For comparison, LGB is (or should be) 13.55mm to the foot (45mm track presumed to be 1000mm at 1:22.5 of full size).

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
oberinntalbahn said:
yb281 said:
Having just had a running session.
Pics man, we NEED pics :D
I've tried a couple Nige, but the sun is too strong at the moment (together with the wind!!) and they look pretty rubbish, so I'll do some good uns when the sun has gone behind the fence.

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers

PaulRhB said:

ESU decoder in Cale, you'll see she slows right down as she hits the R3 curve so I suspect Countess will need similar driving to give a tiny bit more just as she enters it to run smoothly, why transition curves are better than set track.
Here's a clip to tempt you with sound James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGxJnBgcxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player < Link To http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGxJnBgcxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...e=youtube_gdata_player

Is there a decoder available with back emf control? That should sort it! Work a treat in HO.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just what I was thinking Neil - Massoth also have back EMF

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Jimmielx fitting a decoder will be easy as their is loads of room in the boiler and you can see the motor and gearbox. Getting into it may be interesting if Caledonia is anything to go by but the motors are silent so fitting sound is a must for me :)

Doesn't the fact that the smokebox door opens ease fitting of a sound card?
I recall Steve Lewis fitted one to the Mk1 version by dismantling everything only to learn too late that the smokebox door opened!!:D