Controller problem

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
Good afternoon.
Taking my LGB 50080 controller out of hibernation (at last), it will only supply current in one direction. I could fit an external change over switch but this is inconvenient. Any ideas please.
Thank you, Derek

van5

24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
This morning tests with voltmeter and loco chassis both NORMAL. The unit had been out in the sun when failure occurred, today's tests carried out in the house where temperature is 20 degrees C. I presume that it was the thermal cut-out which stopped the unit.
Any comments please.
Derek

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That sounds very odd - if the cutout had tripped, I would have though it wouldn't have worked at all, not just in one direction! I'd suspect a bad connection somewhere inside....

Jon.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Derek put a load on the controller ( put a test meter in circuit to see the current draw) and then see if it cuts out.... it may have been the thermal cut-out or with the higher temmperature a dry joint. I put my money on the variable pot, possibly the wiper going O/C on the resistance track. Have fun! Alyn if you are stuck I have spares.

van5

24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
:)Gentlemen, I have carried out trials with an LGB chassis connected to the suspect unit via a Fluke meter. Braking the wheels I have gone up to 1.5 amps without a problem?
I have a similar controller on the parallel line , the test results are the same.
A genuine LGB gremlin perhaps?
Thanks for your help, Derek