spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
JRinTawa said:
I don't have experience in running trains in such cold temperatures but have found dew (rime?) will affect running and more so on some loco's than others. Hope that's of help :)

I thought of Rime because Rob said the track felt cold and clammy.
Rime is a frost that has a liquid state by condensation before freezing, depending how saturated the air is etc etc.
The only way to prove it is to wipe the track and wheels when it happens and see if the loco runs better.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
spike said:
JRinTawa said:
I don't have experience in running trains in such cold temperatures but have found dew (rime?) will affect running and more so on some loco's than others. Hope that's of help :)

Rime is a frost that has a liquid state by condensation before freezing, depending how saturated the air is etc etc.
The only way to prove it is to wipe the track and wheels when it happens and see if the loco runs better.

Aahh yes I see :), would have very similar effects indeed to dew. So yep I'd go with the Rime too as a major contributing factor.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
JRinTawa said:
spike said:
JRinTawa said:

Aahh yes I see :), would have very similar effects indeed to dew. So yep I'd go with the Rime too as a major contributing factor.

If it were rime I would expect it to affect all the locos and not just two.
My bet would still be on conductivity problems within the locos. 8D